Author Topic: Need Help - Richland Arms 1858 Remington Army .44 cal  (Read 2257 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Need Help - Richland Arms 1858 Remington Army .44 cal
« on: May 23, 2009, 02:06:48 PM »
A  number of years ago, I was given a Remington Army .44 by the wife of a good friend as a keepsake and remembrance of him.  He got me involved and mentored me in blackpowder shooting (NSSA) when I was just a kid.  He passed away in the early 1970s and a number of years later, his son, who had an interest in guns, disassembled it and lost the loading lever assembly.  Both the wife and the son are now deceased, and I'd like to find a loading lever assembly for it so that I can make it complete again and shoot and display it. 

I believe that the pistol was manufactured by Richland Arms and have seen several identical to it listed on auctionarms through the years.  It is .44 caliber and  has a brass or bronze frame, triggerguard and backstrap.  Everything is there - cylinder, cyliner pin, etc. except for the loading lever assembly.  It is tight and in good shape and would be a good shooter - I remember my friend shooting it a number of times when he would take me to the range as well as NSSA events.  I purchased a loading lever assembly off of eBay that I think was for a Navy Arms Remington Army but it came no where close to fitting.  Can anyone out there advise me as to where I might be able to obtain a loading lever assembly to fit it or where I might even be able to find an old Richland Arms Remington Army that I could possibly buy and have for parts?  There are no markings anywhere that I can find except on the bottom flat of the barrel - there are the numbers "623" (which I am assuming may be a serial number) and a stamped "triangle" with what looks like the letter "P' with the bottom portion of the letter running through a "W".  This revolver would have been manufactured in the 1960s - around the time of the Civil War Centennial.

Any help or information would be appreciated!  Many thanks for any help or information that anyone can provide!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Flint

Re: Need Help - Richland Arms 1858 Remington Army .44 cal
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:52:22 AM »
Call Lisa at VTIgunparts.com.  Phone is 860-435-8068.  There isn't much she doesn't know about what might fit what.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
Re: Need Help - Richland Arms 1858 Remington Army .44 cal
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 02:36:11 AM »
I have a brass framed remington style cap and ball revovler marked Richland Arms.  But it came in a box labeled Palmetto Arms and with a Palmetto Arms parts diagram.  It is the long barrelled model.  Cabela's sells a similar looking loong barreled bress frame gun, but I don't know if the parts fit.   

I heard a rumor a couple years ago, that Palmetto had sold some of their tooling to other companies, ie that Palmetto sold its Sharps repro tooling to Pedersoli.   If it was made by Palmetto for Richland, it is still possible that another company's parts will fit.   Palmetto's web site was up through the end of last year, but I haven't been able to find it recently.   They had been in Gardone, Italy but I think moved to Brescia.