Author Topic: 2009 4th of July FIRECRACKER cannon Contest!  (Read 5149 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: 2009 4th of July FIRECRACKER cannon Contest!
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2009, 05:22:11 PM »
Lance,

Nice Cheese box on a raft,  ;D  I like the way you think!

I have begun  machining the tube for the launcher photo's to follow.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2009, 06:31:32 PM »
Lance, if you light all 3 fuses at one time will the boat roll over or stay right side up when the crackers blow?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2009, 12:38:06 AM »
Lance, if you light all 3 fuses at one time will the boat roll over or stay right side up when the crackers blow?

Might need 15 more holes on the 'flip' side!  ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2009, 02:42:56 PM »
Lance,

Nice Cheese box on a raft,  ;D  I like the way you think!

I have begun  machining the tube for the launcher photo's to follow.

Allen <><

Allen, Thanks.  I knew those pieces of scrap would come in handy.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline lance

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2009, 02:49:06 PM »

Might need 15 more holes on the 'flip' side!  ;D
Hey, you two guys are scaring the boat crew ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »
lance i think your version would have shortened they civil war by a year or so . 3 decks of 15 inch dalgrens .......yi curummba... ;D

i am 'in' though on this contest . and i've got one coming along, course it's TOP SECERT "EyEsoNlY"

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2009, 04:05:36 PM »
     Lance,   You are definitely showing your inventive genius.  Mike and I had very broad smiles when we discovered these recent images, and we bet that the Monitor's inventor, John Ericsson, would have a grin for your efforts too if he were with us today and not planted in Filipstad all these long years.  Only a movie will do the smoke and fire event justice!  Any possibility of that happening?

Good work!

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2009, 02:13:11 PM »
OK.  Here are a couple of pix of the quick-and-dirty do-the-MINIMUM firecracker cannons.

Note the black paint on the end, indicating 303 stainless.  Not to be mistaken as my doing, they came that way.

Take close note of the total lack of refinement and nice touches as removing burrs.

One has one bore, and will fire 3 firecrackers; the other two bores, connected with one fuse hole.

Last shot is of my assistant 'Chirp'.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2009, 05:38:27 PM »
CW So your creating a Drilling in fire cracker cannon form is that an over-under or a side by side  ::)

Your assistant is cute when they are that age then they grow up and destroy the furniture......

nice pork chops on the mustache I bet you'd look the part with a 1890's pith helmet.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2009, 08:39:21 PM »
Chirp is a good looking gunners mate. Probably works cheap.    ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2009, 12:44:04 AM »
CW So your creating a Drilling in fire cracker cannon form is that an over-under or a side by side  ::)

Your assistant is cute when they are that age then they grow up and destroy the furniture......

nice pork chops on the mustache I bet you'd look the part with a 1890's pith helmet.

Chirp is at that wonderful age of 9 or 10 weeks - exploring EVERYTHING.  One of a pair of sisters that provide that high-speed pitter-patter of 8 feet racing through the house; usually with the lead kitten carrying something stolen from a doll.

The 'stash started as a goatee - but I couldn't give up ice-cream cones and had to take out the center chin-whiskers.
I'll have to try the pith helmate next time I see one!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2009, 12:47:34 AM »
Chirp is a good looking gunners mate. Probably works cheap.    ;D

There will be more pictures!   ;D  We raise these little guys to be overly friendly.

Kbar - this one's an over and under - easier to do by drilling only one fuse hole.

I'll likely do a 3 bore one next, and ....
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2009, 07:01:26 AM »

Chirp is at that wonderful age of 9 or 10 weeks - exploring EVERYTHING.  One of a pair of sisters that provide that high-speed pitter-patter of 8 feet racing through the house; usually with the lead kitten carrying something stolen from a doll.

The 'stash started as a goatee - but I couldn't give up ice-cream cones and had to take out the center chin-whiskers.
I'll have to try the pith helmate next time I see one!

We have 6 grown cats, can't do any more than that! My wife is a soft touch when it comes to kittens, I had to make a rule if a new one comes home
one of the other's have to leave......... I just turned 49 today and I have this recuring nightmare that I'm in my 80's & on the news as animial welfare
clears the house of 100 cats..... hence the rule.

I guess I'll have to bring my pith helmet with if we have the shoot in Va. this year
  ;D

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2009, 08:05:23 AM »
Sorry...I know this is off topic but I had to add my two cents (who has change  ???).

When we moved to Mississippi last year we got a great house.  It has a jaccuzzi room off the master bedroom.  My daughter and son-in-law decided it was time to get the hell out of California and moved in with us, with her 3 dogs and 3 cats.  We already had 2 dogs and one cat.  Be advised...I am not a lover of cats.  I tolerate the one we have simply cause the wife said we were getting a cat. I am not dumb enough to argue.

So one of my daughters cats is an un-fixed female.  When this cat goes in heat all hell breaks loose.  Two of the cats are fixed males and these three have taken to turning my jaccuzzi room into the Champagne Sex Lounge.  ALL NIGHT LONG!!!  No kidding...I am jealous of these cats.

So cats are cute as kittens and then as stated before they grow up.

Offline lance

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2009, 03:34:51 PM »
lance i think your version would have shortened they civil war by a year or so . 3 decks of 15 inch dalgrens .......yi curummba... ;D

i am 'in' though on this contest . and i've got one coming along, course it's TOP SECERT "EyEsoNlY"

Thanks RocklockI, i'm still toying with the idea of making something else, glad i have til the 4th. :)

Offline lance

« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »
     Lance,   You are definitely showing your inventive genius.  Mike and I had very broad smiles when we discovered these recent images, and we bet that the Monitor's inventor, John Ericsson, would have a grin for your efforts too if he were with us today and not planted in Filipstad all these long years.  Only a movie will do the smoke and fire event justice!  Any possibility of that happening?

Good work!

Tracy and Mike
Thank You, Tracy and Mike.  I'll see if i can talk Tim into making an up close, catch all the action movie.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »

I'm guessing eveyone forgot about this contest it was 4 pages back!  :o

Well I have had some time this week to start my build, I had taken a series of photos of progress

during lathe work etc. but my digital camera decided not to work  :(

this is what I have so far for My diabolical multiple discharge device  ;D

Did the tool box throw you? it's 1:6th scale.........

to give an idea of scale this is a 1:6th scale trebel banded brooks projo

given me by M&T on their visit last year, Sorry I didn't have a powder

can handy. the parts are roughed out just have to drill the barrels and finish

the carriage.

I am hoping to wrap this up tomorrow and have it ready for the 4th.

Allen <><

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2009, 05:11:05 PM »
Allen,

I saw the picture, I saw the tool box and immedately wondered what heck size firecrackers you had found!!!!  Them I saw 1/6 scale. With my masterful typo skills, that's right typo, I might have forget to mention that for a post or two. :)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2009, 05:27:27 PM »
   Allen,  are the bores to be drilled radially in the cylinder with the end journals?

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2009, 08:12:17 PM »
(From the whiners department)

I expect my cannon to be ready on the 4th but now someone wants me to do something on the 5th. which means the video(s) of mine firing may not be online till 5th or 6th.  I 'spect some others may be in same boat-with the main firing of their piece to take place on the 4th.  I didn't hear a "deadline" announced, or maybe I did and conveniently forgot, but how 'bout an extra day or three for the whiner here?   The cannon is coming along nicely and should be largely assembled by midnight.  It will be worth waiting for, I think it will be totally unique among the entries.  I think it is on the large side for what you normally think of for a firecracker cannon.  All the parts together weigh about 100 lbs.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2009, 10:55:28 PM »
   Allen,  are the bores to be drilled radially in the cylinder with the end journals?

Tracy

I decided to turn things around a bit, normally the cylinder has trunnions machined on it's sides and it is bored on the end,

here the trunnions are machined on the ends, and 4 sets of 5 holes will be bored on the side of the cylinder with one bored

centered between each two sets giving 21 holes for a 21 gun salute.

DD  I thought I'd have a little fun with the tool box, in the right setting a scale item can really through things  off.

Cannonmn  and I though mine was going to be heavy! I guess recoil won't be an issue...... or will it!  :o

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2009, 02:47:33 AM »
It looks like Allen has taken the "compact" approach.  Ours is more of a distrubuted approach.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2009, 12:40:27 PM »
It looks like Allen has taken the "compact" approach.  Ours is more of a distrubuted approach.

All I can say great minds........

Offline Double D

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2009, 01:38:58 PM »

I decided to turn things around a bit, normally the cylinder has trunnions machined on it's sides and it is bored on the end,

here the trunnions are machined on the ends, and 4 sets of 5 holes will be bored on the side of the cylinder with one bored

Ah, 21 Gun Salutes are reserved for heads of state, a proper 4th of July Salute is 50 guns!

Get back to the drill press and start drilling!!!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »

Ah, 21 Gun Salutes are reserved for heads of state, a proper 4th of July Salute is 50 guns!

Get back to the drill press and start drilling!!!

TOO LATE!!!!  ::)   Drill press is at work in the machine shop.

So here is my Little Beast MK I Diabolical mutiple discharge device  ;D

So now all 21 holes are drilled each set of five end in a common chamber........

The fuse hole is through the center of the trunnion and connects as a common passage to all chambers.

this is in it's rough form, it still need to be painted tomorrow.

Allen  <><

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2009, 04:59:38 PM »
WOW.

Moved the shed yesterday, cleaned it out and put back in about half the stuff.  I'm worn out.

Tomorrow MUST be a day for final machining and firing (but that may have to be on the 5th).

Watched the screech owls again tonight  -  two babies -  hunting.

When one moved in within TEN FEET of us, I figured we were being considered as prey.  Maybe it was the dry-roasted peanuts I was eating, maybe it was the cat on my lap.  We came inside and called it a night.  These little birds are living just off our deck and will be there tomorrow.

I'm looking forard to seeing pix of smoke and flame - especially of John's LIGHT WEIGHT fire-cracker cannon!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2009, 04:10:26 AM »
Neat little owl, Tim...wife doesn't like owls, she thinks there have a sneaky look.  We have some great horned owls around here,  Big enough to be a Cannon swab on 24 PDR. 

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2009, 10:34:12 AM »
Done got it painted!  ;D

Baptism after dark.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2009, 11:21:57 AM »
old school claymore ;D
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2009, 11:26:51 AM »
This picture I'll also post in 'backyard cannon fun" as it's obviously in my backyard.

This is totally UN-photogenic with firecrackers, but it did add a deeper melow ring to otherwise sharp firecrackers.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired