Author Topic: The "Look"of the '58 Remington just stirs somthing in my soul!  (Read 730 times)

Offline ZVP

• Trade Count: (0)
 Just somthing about the solid frame, the gracefull curve of the frames lower side and theoverall visual balance of the 1858 Army really sets it off!
 Yes, the Colt design has similarlily attractive kines butto me, everything about the asthetics of the '58 says strength and accuracy... The Colt fits a larger segment of the shooting publics hand but that I cannot get the constant grip on the Colt revolver (my hand tends to slide forward sometimes ie: on a quick draw) that I achieve with the Remington.
 I have purposly forced myself to do deliberate choriographed draws (By the numbers as taught by  Evil Roy) and I have gotten my grip to somewhat more of a consistant state but I still favor the '58.
 I also find myself aiming the cocking thumb at the "hollow" between the hammer's face and crosshatched cocking surface whrn drawing the piece from any holster. With this rather odd grab, I always get the revolver cocked.
 How bout you guys?
 Your favorite guns?
 How do you achieve a constant grip that aids in a quick thumb-flick for cocking?
 ZVP

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
Re: The "Look"of the '58 Remington just stirs somthing in my soul!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 03:06:30 PM »
I favor the Colt for it's better balance and ergonomics--trigger, hammer and grip relationship. As does everyone I know. And the Remington will foul quicker than the Colt due to its smaller cylinder arbor. The Colt's arbor is not only larger in diameter, but it is grooved so that it can hold even more lube and the lube can be of a stiffer consistency , too. The Colt was designed with clearances for lubricant and still provide accuracy--it is a true combat pistol in the same vein as the 1911 Colt .45 A.C.P. The Colt rammer is also stronger--the Remington has a thin link and a couple of small pins in it. People always point to the Remington's top strap and say that the Remington is way stronger than the Colt. But there are a great many Old Colts around that are still tight, and even the Italian ones with steel frames last forever. Neither brass framed Colts or Remingtons last with loads that don't faze the steel ones. So maybe that top strap isn't quite as important after all.

Bill Hickok carried a pair of percussion Colt Navys long after not only the Remington was available but reliable and powerful cartridge revolvers were widely available too. This was a man who knew his handguns and whose very life depended on his pistols and he chose the Colts. I expect that he had some very good reasons for this...

However--if the Reminton punches all your happy buttons and feels best to you, there is no reason that I can think of why you shouldn't get one. Your life doesn't depend on your choice(I hope), parts are readily available(VTI Replica Gun Parts is a good source), and you won't be practicing fastdraw with live loads--right? I would go with a Uberti despite the slightly higher cost. Have fun.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline blastingcap

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 06:34:26 AM »
I have both the 1858 new army and the colt 1860. I love them both.--blasting cap

Offline Bomber Boy

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 03:51:03 AM »
I have been shooting my 1858 Remington for over a year now, And I have never had a days problem with it.
They are truly one of the best guns ever made. ;D