Author Topic: Primers  (Read 784 times)

Offline bigman2

• Trade Count: (0)
Primers
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:29:35 PM »
Hello, I am new at reloading. As everyone knows primers are hard to come by. At the local shop I go to, they have Wolf, small rifle primers in stock. I am wondering if anyone has used them and are they reliable? I appreciate any help. I have been learning about reloading on my on...Thanks Ray

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: Primers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:38:37 PM »
I've never used Wolf primers but I spoke with a well known shooter a few days ago that likes them.  If they were all that were on the shelf, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:22:41 AM »
the wolf rifle primers ive used were great. there pistol primers left something to be desired though. But with the shortages now id even buy them again if the opportunity came.
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »
No problems here with the Wolf Large and Small pistol primers.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 11:04:53 AM »
Only lucky hit i have had recently was Federal match SPP for $8 a box of 100  .... To my ever lasting shame i bought 4.

I do have a local guy that said he should have some in by next week SRP,LPP and i think LRP all Winchester ... So maybe I'll get lucky but current events might not allow for it ..

We'll see,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline markp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 05:19:52 PM »
 In times Like these I would snap them up in a heartbeat and count my blessings.

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 04:20:24 PM »
I stoped by the local gun shop this afternoon and he had several one K boxes of federal small pistol primers. I got one, even though he had jacked up the price! They 45.00 including the tax, but I have been out for quite a while.
                                   Beerbelly

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 02:21:54 AM »
I stoped by the local gun shop this afternoon and he had several one K boxes of federal small pistol primers. I got one, even though he had jacked up the price! They 45.00 including the tax, but I have been out for quite a while.
                                   Beerbelly

Holy moley !!!!   That's wayyyyyyyy more than twice what I paid last Sept. When I ordered primers! Glad I ordered enough to get me by for a while!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 05:54:34 AM »
I think your dealer is trying recoup his hazmat fees on the first 2K he sells. Sounds pretty steep to me, even with today's prices.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 02:50:00 AM »
When the shelves are full again, I will remember him. I will not be trading with him any longer.
                                        Beerbelly

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 03:44:34 AM »
Wolf and Magtech primers are excellent products.  The Magtech might be a little softer than Wolf, but I have NO evidence proving this.  The Magtech primers ignite every time with the same spring settings on my 627 as I use for Federal.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline moosie

• Trade Count: (2)
  • 1 of 2 nice 8 pointers last year
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 04:21:50 AM »
Some good news.  Yesterday, here in South Texas,  I got 500 small pistol primers (CCI) at a local dealer--he had set a 500 limit so more individuals could get a few primers.  They were marked at $3.29/100 which is more than I paid last time, but much better than the $4.50/100 mentioned above.  Some glimmer of hope that things are beginning to settle a little.
Moosie
To fire an accurate shot means to not just hit the target, but to know where the target was hit before the bullet got there.