Author Topic: Almost ready for paint.  (Read 1235 times)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Almost ready for paint.
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:22:57 AM »
I think we will proof fire it , clean it up and then paint .

The business end

I think I need DD here for the inital proof test round . He has been my mentor on this project.
Its been a long time from idea to iron . I do hope it's as much fun as the U-Tube videos .   ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Almost ready for paint.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »
it it an 8''er ? looks plenty solid .  ;D i like it .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 01:53:25 PM »
An 8.6 incher, I'll bet.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
8.625 Ball   , 8.90625 Bore   Guess I will get to painting , needs to be done some time .  Going to use engine manifold black on the firing tube . Probably just automotive  black on base.
When done the Red Goex can will look good standing in the picture . :>)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »
Do you think that  base is sturdy enough???  ;D  ;D   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »
Do you think that  base is sturdy enough???  ;D  ;D   ;D

No, no Tim, don't encourage him, I had to talk him out installing out riggers.   :)

Wait until you see the detachable landing gear...

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Painted and weighed ...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 07:00:39 AM »
Paint on tube is engine manifold paint . It required curing with heat , so ... I put a big propane torch up under the tube hanging vertical . Got the temp up to 450 degrees @ mouth and 340 @ breech end .  I left it to hang to cool when Good Neighbor Don came along . He is one to poke and probe any project I have going . It had been a good half hour since I had heated the tube up when he walked in the door . first thing he does before I can say HOT is put a finger on the tube.  He has good reflexes  ;D

Tube weighs 125 lb  , Base 104 lbs . Trunions stamped so it will be ready to assemble by afternoon.
Pictures to follow .

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 08:07:33 AM »
     Bet it will look very impressive when painted and even more when launching a ball.  1Southpaw,  when you get a chance to take some pictures, could you take one of Good Neighbor Don's partial in the paint?  You know, the one with the streak in the direction of reflexive, rapid retreat.  Thanks.

Looking forward to a movies of a BB splashdown in your pond!  Is recovery possible?  Do BBs float?

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 08:32:14 AM »
Southpaw, your bowling ball mortar is looking fine.
I've never had the chance to get up close and personal with a BB mortar.  Is the wall drilled, then the raised ball seat and powder chamber drilled in the same line, with a steel tube inserted to serve as the vent?
One thing I do know about BB mortars, is that when I hear that pan-pipe whistling sound caused by the air rushing by the finger holes in the ball, I get an ear to ear smile on my face.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Re: paint is on
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 11:30:34 AM »
Almost out the door ....

Boom J  the powder chamber is welded to the base plate . The Vent hole was alined with hole in tube . I turned down a bolt and threaded it to the outer wall of tube. The other end has a drill bit degree turned on it so it seats firmly in to the outer wall of powder chamber . About a 3/4" deep hole into side of powder chamber for seating on the beveled seat.  Clear ?   I will have to draw a picture to clarify .

seacoast : don't think they float  but the water is very shallow , sort of a marsh on the north end. Trial and error will tell  :-\

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
Re: paint is on
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 12:07:52 PM »
Boom J  the powder chamber is welded to the base plate . The Vent hole was alined with hole in tube . I turned down a bolt and threaded it to the outer wall of tube. The other end has a drill bit degree turned on it so it seats firmly in to the outer wall of powder chamber . About a 3/4" deep hole into side of powder chamber for seating on the beveled seat.  Clear ?   I will have to draw a picture to clarify .

Thanks Southpaw, gotcha.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
Looks good, but I will have to remind you that black paint soaks up a lot of solar radiation.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 12:06:19 AM »
Looks good, but I will have to remind you that black paint soaks up a lot of solar radiation.

Is the concern that too much heat might build up in the chamber with all that surface area?

School bus yellow might attract bees, but the chamber would indeed stay cooler  :)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 04:54:50 AM »
Aye!!!! she be a MONSTER she be ;D That will make some smoke and noise.

NG

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »
Is the concern that too much heat might build up in the chamber with all that surface area?

No, my concern is that it will get too hot to touch if it sits out in the sun in the desert.  Although it looks as though it will need a crew of native bearers to move it, so they can just remember to bring their gloves.   ;D
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 06:23:53 PM »
My first choice was Red /White Blue  with white stars and stripes on the tube , base black . Will se how things go . I think the tube painted like a flag would be cool .

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 09:29:03 PM »

Not quite a muzzle loading artillery piece but Stars and Stripes.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »

No, my concern is that it will get too hot to touch if it sits out in the sun in the desert.  Although it looks as though it will need a crew of native bearers to move it, so they can just remember to bring their gloves.   ;D

Ahhh... Maybe that's why he left the ends if the box tubing uncapped. Something like this was carried through the desert, no gloves required...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 04:53:29 AM »
No "bout a doubt it, 1Southpaw, that is a beaut! Great job, makes me want to finally get started on one, too! Shallow marsh for the landing zone? Might want to attach a streamer of red or yellow caution tape to the BB, to find where in buries itself! About 8 feet should do! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!