Author Topic: Anyone wanna guess what kind of guns these are in the old photo?  (Read 540 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)

I really don't know.  They appear to be on small carriages though.

The mortar at the far corner of the building is very familiar to me.

I put the entire photo and the rest of the story on the CMH forum if you want more info, it would just take too long to copy it all here.  The photo shows the front of the Bureau of Naval Ordnance Museum ca. 1870?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums34/FtWashandWNY_Dewey221.jpg

Offline navygunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Anyone wanna guess what kind of guns these are in the old photo?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
Can't tell from the picture but they look small enough to be woodruff guns??? 2 pounders

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 05:47:46 PM »
You're probably close.  Here's a thought, back when we and the NSSA artillery disc. boards were discussing "rifled howitzers" I looked at some old Navy ledgers of "miscellaneous guns" in the Nat. Archives.  Listed under the Phila. Shipyard, I found five Blakely mountain guns, as I recall 2.9 inch.  Even though this photo was taken at Washington, I'll bet the five were sent there and those are them.  If so that's be kind of exciting, this would be the only known photo of a Blakely mountain gun on an original carriage (if indeed that's what those are, and not something made up at the Navy Yard.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »
cannonmn ,
    The Blakley has a very pronouunced`trunnion ring which you should be able to see on one of the guns. They also appear to be longer than 36" as they come out in front of the wheel. Unless the wheels are small as 32" as on the Hughes.Did the Rebs import any Blakley #10's.
     I know that the union had some #10's mounted on modified praire carriages
     The wheels look like they have only 10 spokes. odd.
     Do the barrels have tomppions  in?
another inteesting photo.
Thanks

RCHJr.

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 05:14:34 PM »
cannonmn ,
Sometime ago, I posted a picture on the NSSA board of some GAR guys (4th Mn.) with their Blakley #10. That carriage also appears to have only10 spokes.

http://n-ssa.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10238

RCHJr.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:09:33 AM »
Thanks, I looked at the pic of the gun surrounded by flag-carrying vets.  There seem to be 12 spokes on the wheels of that carriage.  The barrel looks small for the carriage.  Wooden carriages don't last very long so I don't usually rely too much on whatever carriage a barrel is mounted on, unless it is shown while it was still in service.

The photo I posted of the small guns in the Wash. Navy Yard definitely shows tompions in the muzzles.  Those small guns definitely have no trunnion bands.