Author Topic: Rapidfire  (Read 1058 times)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
Rapidfire
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:17:09 AM »

Offline bluecow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Rapidfire
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:58:20 AM »
AMEN
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 05:39:26 AM »
Great Video
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 10:17:18 AM »

I saw that some time ago when someone pointed it out to me. I was wondering at the time if anyone knows if there is a potential for breakage by using a Handi n this manner? That cocking with the action open is what I was wondering about.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:04:55 AM »
No I have done this with my 22 mag.  have not had any problems.  Gun still goes bang and is still really accurate.

Offline pitman_mm

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 02:17:06 PM »
 Good vid. It aint the gun, it's the man (or woman) behind the gun the matters most.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »
you will shoot the way  you train
so  train the way you want to shoot

that premature cocking of the hammer may save  half or tenth of a second
but why train that way and cause confusion  if needed for self defence
you  won't hunt that way

that premature cocking  is just an invidation for an accident.....safety over tactical advantage every time for me
continue  to just cock as you raise to fire....after the gun  is closed
do it the same way  EVERY time

it is a graet simple idiot proof  gun.......don't  let clint mess that up

a  nef  12  will be my new truck gun to backup my 357
my last truck gun  got stolen.........no more nice truck guns
a single shot 12 and 357 should get me home  and/or deal with what ever  i may come home to
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 03:39:15 PM »
The way I see it is that it is premature cocking only because there is an external hammer. If you didn't see a hammer, it would be cocked anyway.

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 03:40:37 PM »
I have few single shot shotguns and I hae no problem using them for a home defense gun. The other day I was going out to the lake to look around. I have a ccw so I had my Glock on me. When I came out of the bedroom my girlfriend saw the shotgun I was carrying. She asked what I needed that for. I told that if something happened, I would either be able get back home or if I had to shoot some food to live for a while if I couldn't get back. She asked me," doesn't that only do one shot?" I told her that was all I needed.

snakeman

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 04:19:39 PM »
The way I see it is that it is premature cocking only because there is an external hammer. If you didn't see a hammer, it would be cocked anyway.

that  is true  but how do you shoot your nef..and every one else

plus  most  un expsed hammers have an auto safety
and  are  ALWAYS  operated that way

i would use clints  tecneque  if i were  competing in a game to when  or  something

other than  that it is just a dangerous practice
if  you really need  to sacrifice safety for tactics  get a more suitable gun
or try some other tactic  like running......with the hammer down

i  like watching that guy  but  they are to into tactics  than real world safety
like  carrying  an  auto when  a revolver  is so  save
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 04:48:45 PM »
.45-70 gov,
I can understand the argument about cocking the hammer on a shotgun. But I am not sure if I follow you on the auto vs revolver thing. I agree that revolvers are a safe weapon but I think an auto is just as safe. I shoot and carry both types and have never had any problems with either one of them.

snakeman

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 04:46:30 AM »
.45-70 gov,
I can understand the argument about cocking the hammer on a shotgun. But I am not sure if I follow you on the auto vs revolver thing. I agree that revolvers are a safe weapon but I think an auto is just as safe. I shoot and carry both types and have never had any problems with either one of them.

snakeman

glocks  are  ok  or any  DAO

but  under stress  some on may forget the safety
same  for  cocking  a  revolver

just a pet peave of mine
most  of  us shoot  enough  but  people that don't shoot  much  shouldn;t  watch  clint

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 05:39:57 AM »
I can see your point. I don't want you to think I was trying to start an argument or something. I just like to hear other peoples opinions and views about these kinds of things.

snakeman

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 08:15:02 AM »
making me  explain myself makes me put more thought into  it

thanks for calling me on  it

some may call me an arnchair  expert....i  know i call myself that

but that is my point.....most of us just carry  or  hunt......few of us will see combat...sure some will

also  some will have an accident...a more likely case

i see a trend as a gun dealer  of  people  prepareing for combat
not  just looking for a good safe simple affordable dependable boring revolver
to be carried day in and day out with out incident or accident  every day no matter what from now on

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 10:13:12 AM »

I'm with ya .45-70. Putting safety in second place is no way to come out the winner. Practice the way you will use it. One of the best lines I heard in  movie was "slow is smooth and smooth is fast." If you practice smooth and precise when time comes to put it into use you'll be fast. Muscle memory is a strange thing. Practice makes perfect but only if you practice perfect. that's the way it is in martial arts.

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 10:28:55 AM »
You are right. Not alot of people will ever see combat. Unfortunately I have seen combat and will be headed that way again next year. I think the trend towards hi cap autos has alot to do with people thinking that bigger or more is better. I am a part time firearms instructor. I teach civilian and military and the occasional law enforcement officer. I teach everything from basic handgun to advanced rifle classes. I see alot of people trying to go with the tactical side of things before they are even proficient with the basics. I have seen so many people come to a class with something that is way to big and to much for them to handle. I think that people fail to realize that most of the time the easier something is to work the better you will be able to use it. Most people I have talked with assume that if they ever have to use thier weapon that it is going to be like a Hollywood movie and they are going to be trading shots back and forth for an extended period of time. Most self defense shootings occur at less than 7 yards and last for less than 4 seconds. About 95% of those encouters by a civilian can be solved with a revolver. On my first deployment I was in a fire fight that lasted for almost two and a half hours. I only fired about 150 rounds thru the whole thing. It needs to be understood by people that you don't just spray and pray you hit something. You need to be able to hit the target that is the threat to you.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 04:00:04 PM »
snakeman 
you are obviously more qualified than i am

i  would defend the way  i hunt
find good cover lay and wait
make one shot count

i  don't practice double taps
prefering to spend the time and ammo  on rapid draw and aim  and one well placed shot
plus  i only have 5 357 rounds  and don't carry spares
i  know  the limits of range  and the time i must add for extra range
something i may not know  had i spent time practicing double taps  etc

what is your opinion of my training?

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 04:37:31 PM »
As long as the training you have and that you practice work for you that is the main thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way you prefer to hunt. That is how I like to hunt also. Knowing how to double tap is not a necessity to be able to defend your life. Rapid errant rounds fired down range at the target will not end a life threatening encounter. Quick draw and accurately placed rounds on target will be what wins a gun fight. Always be ready to take a quick follow up shot if the threat is still there. It sounds like you are deffinately on the right track for getting that done. The only suggestion I would make would be to carry an extra 5 rounds for that revolver and train doing some fast reloads. I carry a revolver a fare bit and I usually have an extra 5 rounds with me and it is something that I teach in my classes. It is not a necessity and is up to each individual person whether they want to do it or not but it is something that I reccomend. You just never know. You know your weapon and you know its limitations and how to shoot it accurately. I would say that will probably put you ahead of the average person.

snakeman

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »
i  have a 6 round strip  i carry out of town  or hiking or boating

over night out of town i add the 7 shot 619 smith in 357 and a box of shells

what  % of gun fights  go beyond  the first good hit?....my son recently ask  that

also what is the average distence most shots are fired??

after a hit/shot with the 12 H n R  how  often will a second shot be needed?

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »
It is hard to say how many stop after just one round due to all of the variables that will play into a one shot stop. Every body will react different to the shock of a bullet hitting them. Size of bad guy, muscle mass, mental state, and being on drugs are all things that will affect if the bad guy drops or keeps coming. I recently read about a police shooting where the bad guy was shot 26 times with a .40 S&W using Remington Golden Sabres before he dropped. Does this mean that that is a bad round? Absolutely not. It turns out that this guy was a paranoid schizophrenic on meth. That is the reason why most instructors teach a person to shoot untill the threat is stopped and then cover them in case they try to get back up.

The average defense shooting takes place at 7 yards or less.

Not to sure on the 12 ga issue as well. Again there is so many things that play into it. With that being said, if I knew I was going to be in a gun fight at 25 yards or less I would pick a shotgun.

snakeman

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 05:51:04 AM »
If I knew I was going to be in a gun fight.  I'd bring a TANK!

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 06:50:55 AM »

For anyone carrying a .357 as a CCW weapon, another thing you can do that is a little faster than the speed strips is to obtain a Colt Mag. for .38 Supers. The Super is a semi rimmed round meaning it will work in your .357. A bit on the pricey side though. I had someone show me that a long time ago.