Author Topic: huge lesson learned..  (Read 1610 times)

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
huge lesson learned..
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »
 i wonder how many were like me an view the snubby as close in defense only.. cut the recoil if you can find a effective defence rnd that doesn t have too much recoil..i shot a box uo today of the feoochi andwas hitting, 6 -12 inch gums trees 50 60 yrds away, aboutm 90% of the time... the accuracy is not even to be compared to some of the plus p ,ive tried.... some practice an i could use this thing to hunt squirrel an such,, not kidding either.. im just totally amazed at how much more accurate i am....slim live an learn

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: huge lesson learned..
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »
Good shooting Slim! I used to sort of scoff at the idea of a stubby snubby. That is until I bought my nice little snub nose .38 Special. Now it's becoming my favorite hand gun in terms of pure fun. I can sure understand why you like yours so much.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:12:40 PM »
Would reloading for a snubbie be any different with the short barrel? Got a Taurus 606 (6x357 ported 2") that I'd like to use to hit man sized targets at 50 yds.
held fast

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:36:29 PM »
i can t speak for other guns mines smith 60 17/8 i think.. never measured it.. but for me the key was get away from + p an shoot the 38 special.... in my case the feoochi,lrn which turns into an awful looking thing as it goes thru what ever it impacts.....in just two days practice ive gone from an hopeful shooter  to an confident shooter.. im surprised if i don t hit.. now this is aiming,, not point an shoot..  i can t see any reason i couldn t take a squirrel out a tree..its gonna take more practice ,,but the rewards can totally change my handgun ability....ive about decided this whole gun thing,,is finding what fits you an your gun.. thats just my opinion.. example savage 110 with fusion 165 made me shoot with most anybody at the range up to 200 yrds..
 the cz452 gave me groups that had boys that had seen ole shaky shoot ,shakeing thier head.. this with my special military rnd,which in my opinion made more difference than the rifle.. now feoochi an my handgun .. two days an i doubled my ability.. so apparently its just gettin the right fit.. this my opinion. slim
 ps yes i do have to take a little unshaky medicine ;D thank god i got it.. life was not fun ,,when i couldn t hit nothin.

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:43:54 PM »
There was a lady that used to run the range at the Atlanta Police Academy that was an amazing
shot with a little S&W snubbie. She convinced me 20 years ago of what a Snubbie was capable of.
As far as reloading, I have found that the Hotter the round the less accurate they are. The also seem to like the heavier bullets. 158 and up.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 05:59:57 PM »
 its not often that opportunity knocks ,an is there for the taking.. i think im going after about 4-5 boxes[50], of this stuff.. i should become a right good shot at distance , just with that much practice.. its something ive never been with a pistol.. if it don t happen i ll be disappointed ..but it sure looks obtainable after just 2 days.. now its 50 yrds at a coffee can 4 outa 5 average, in center group then a flyer, once in a while.. might not sound good to some but with this little barrel ,ida never thought that possible..
  all because i went to just 38 special an forgot about the +p stuff...
 well wish me luck ,im going for it heck its worth a hundred dollars to be
better than most i see at the range.... plus it could be the difference in winning a gunfight for my life.confidence is hard to beat....slim
 awe heck ,ive talked myself into it :) :)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 02:35:29 AM »
Slim:  good for you having learned that a snub nose revolver is not just a point and shoot affair.  Hey, you could always come shoot with some of us 'Snubby-ists' and dong the gong at the 100 yd mark - now that's fun.  On winter days when the range is covered with snow you can actually see some of these slugs travel downrange until they hit the target.  It's a blast.

Fiocchi ammo is good but no better than Win or Rem 158 gn round nose lead, so save your $ and find some bargains.  Also, if you reload you can probably improve the accuracy of your loads.  I use a 200 gn cast semi-wadcutter that I get from either Mt. Baldy or Colorado Cast Bullets over a factory charge of WW231 powder.  This is not a 'heavy load' or a +P load, only a heavy slug and it is being pushed out that short barrel at standard pressures, not the plus or increased pressures of the +P loads, which are not necessary in a snub nose.  recoil is the same as with 158 gn slugs.

I believe your sights, what there is of them, are regulated for 50 yds so at that distance you can have a lot of fun.  The 100 yd target reguires a bit of a holdover, about half your front sight, but that's easy to learn.  Have fun, it's a blast. 

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 06:10:12 AM »
 mikey i know you speak the truth.. but wouldn t have guessed it be
this much fun. . after this i ll stick with what ive learned.. took three times to happen to learn it ..
 guns are about matching man to gun and rnd to gun an man..
 im gonna stay with that,, as three lessons enough..
  in deer rifle savage 30 06 with fusion 165 way more precise.. in 22 cz452 with my military rnd.....nickle groups at a hundred..this for group rnds only..... velocitor is my defense an hunting rnd.....
38 smith 60 an feoochi,lrn.. it s not the best for everyone but doubles or better my accuracy..
 honestly shootin a pistol was something  of necessity .. i wanted a rifle in my hand..now i did it a lot because my life depended on it..
but i was hung up on the + stuff an it really affected my accuracy...now its fun like i said i can get much better at this...
 100 yrds who knows that might be outa range for this rnd.. don t wanta go past where it kills what i hit with it.. but you rite mikey itsmight the funnest thing yet.....slim :)
ps i owe this to gods country in albemarle n. c. they recommended it an got plenty ammo...

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 06:24:10 PM »
I shoot both a Smith model 60 and 642 snubby in .357.  I hand load so I have several .38 and .357 loads worked up to cut the flash and recoil a bit.  Shooting factory .357 looks like I am shooting a flame thrower, the .38 isn't much better.  With the CT grips I can keep 5 out of five in a eight inch pie plate at 40 yards when in a low lifght condition, I have never tried the open sights iun briight sunshine at that range.  The snubby is not a bad choice for a CCW.

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 09:30:37 PM »
 well opened my big mouth an today wasn t quite as sure..did get the four boxes along with 3 others....do a thing ,,do it right.. but then theres no accounting for good days an bad..still much surer than the + loaded ammo but didn t seem as good as yesterday.. one thing im better free handed an fast than off sand bags,,guess im just more used to fireing as i might have to in a real situation..... thats how i practice.. have a good one brother.... slim

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 08:36:31 AM »
rockbilly,
what powders do you use to get less muzzle flash with your snubbies?

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
Anduril, I am loading 7.0 gr of Unique topped with a Hornady 125gr HP/XTPO for the .38, and 12.5 gr of Unique also topped wwith the 125 gr hornady for the .357.  Most all powers will give an excessive amaount of muzzel flash with the 1-2 inch snubbys, but these seem to give less and still perform well as a defensive load.

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 04:11:40 AM »
Rockbilly - I too use alot of Unique, along with Blue Dot, 2400, 4227, some Clays and a few others. I was just wondering if you had discovered some secrete.

Back on topic, it is just plain fun to shoot them little guns waaaay out there!

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 04:38:06 AM »
the 2 inch 357 is amasing accurate to me

centinial  DAO

love the hand held flash bang

chronographed at  1250  fps  rem  125 factory....till they are gone  then reloads
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 05:10:47 AM »
Isn't one of the concepts of a snubby personal defense? A target 50 or more yards away from yourself doesn't qualify as a threat unless it is shooting at you. IMO ;)   
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 08:48:57 AM »
BBF
very true
but i think (hope) we are takling fun shooting here

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 06:41:21 AM »
 That would qualify IMO ;D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 09:19:08 AM »
 well im thinking that if say i saw an nut shootin people .. i now look on my snubby as very capable of stopping himat 25 30 yrds ,,with a head shot.. hoping that never happen but im gaining the skill to make that shot with confidence... just enough time in practice an the guns purpose can be greatly expanded..
before now using + ammo that wasn t an option.. so the lesson for me is cut back on the power until you can controll it..with this rnd that leaves plenty of potency..i might add i tried some hornady 110 grn +
p critical defence last night an it was easier to control also..
 i intend to do an test on it today for its effective capabilities.. slim

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 10:44:08 AM »
   the feoochi lrn didnt expand in water jugs.. it penetrated well but not much expansion... is the jug test suppose to be a test of expansion also..
 ive yet to recover the hornady as they just keep on going an bounce off the backstop..couldn t find it..
edit i went back an did find one of the hornadys ... text book expansion in water..
  either way the feoochi is excellent practice rnd ,,in my opinion..
 i wouldn t want to get hit by either one ofum... slim

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 08:01:52 PM »
I've never tried it, but I saw a guy named Bob Somethingorother on a cable TV sports show hitting balloons at 200 yards with a Smith snubnose. Of course, it didn't show how many shots it took him to get the holdover and range . . .
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 06:21:44 AM »
I've never tried it, but I saw a guy named Bob Somethingorother on a cable TV sports show hitting balloons at 200 yards with a Smith snubnose. Of course, it didn't show how many shots it took him to get the holdover and range . . .

That was Bob Munden and while he a great shot that particular shot only required that he hit the plate the balloons were attached to.  The splatter broke the balloons ;D

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 09:40:29 AM »
I think I'd be happy if I could hit a plate at 200 yards with a snubbie!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."