Author Topic: AR magazine reload drill question...  (Read 695 times)

Offline darkroomdan

• Trade Count: (1)
AR magazine reload drill question...
« on: June 04, 2009, 09:42:27 AM »
I have been given two very different answers given to the question: "What is the proper procedure to do a tactical reload with your AR15?" Was hoping you guys could help out with the real dope.

Source 1: When changing out magazines in the AR15 one should insert the new mag straight in then give it a sharp smack with the heal of the hand, just like you would on a 1911.

Source 2: When changing out a magazine on your AR15 you should insert the magazine firmly but with a front-to-back rocking motion as it seats. Never slam the thing on the bottom with your hand because it will damage the retaining mechanism.

Is either one of these correct? Or is there a another correct way?

Thanks,
DRD

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: AR magazine reload drill question...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:46:11 AM »
This is one of those cases where you have to see what works best for you.  I would lean towards item #1 myself, but think a combo of the two would be pretty simple.  If you ever find yourself in a situation where you need a reload that rifle fast, you'll be amazed at how fast you do it, trust me. 

Offline CannonKrazy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 01:16:58 PM »
I'm not sure if there is a proper way to do it. #1 sounds like a good bet. The reason I say this is because of something I read and also listened to fellow shooters. Some folks choose to load a magazine 2 less rounds than full. 18 in a 20rd and 28 in a 30. The reason was because it takes a little preasure to lock the fully loaded mag into the rifle. A couple less bullets reduces to preasure and creates more room to move. By giving it a bump on the bottom of the mag gives a little reasurance that it is engaged and locked.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 12:29:18 AM »
i allways give them a smack.
blue lives matter

Offline darkroomdan

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 12:58:42 AM »
Thanks for the info guys!

A little background. The question comes from a friend—this is a training issue at a security company. The training folk are suggesting method one, but several of the trainees are having problems getting the mags to click home even when they slam them hard with the heal of the hand.

I have talked to a Nam era Vet how has told me that the secret to the M16 and AR15 is the rocking motion. He said with AK47s you go straight in, but with M16s and ARs you have to rock it in.

Had also heard about the not filling the 20 round mags with more than 18 rounds.
Thanks again,

DRD

Edit: PS—my friend says it shouldn't be a gun problem - which are Colts and Rock River - they are supposedly well maintained and use quality mags (not sure how old and used the mags are though)

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 01:55:50 AM »
[quote author=darkroomdan link=topic=175041.msg1098828904#msg1098828904 date=1244199522

I have talked to a Nam era Vet how has told me that the secret to the M16 and AR15 is the rocking motion. He said with AK47s you go straight in, but with M16s and ARs you have to rock it in.

Your "Nam" vet friend got it backwards,------straight in with the AR, mag front first, and rock to lock on the AK.
Savage

An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline darkroomdan

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 04:49:27 AM »
Savage, I appreciate the info - the vet in question is more of an acquaintance rather than a friend-one of those that hangs out down at the gun shop I go into from time to time..

Might just be old worn out mags anyway...

Thanks again,
DRD

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:27:35 AM »
[quote author=darkroomdan link=topic=175041.msg1098828904#msg1098828904 date=1244199522

Your "Nam" vet friend got it backwards,------straight in with the AR, mag front first, and rock to lock on the AK.
Savage

Somebody had it backwards, but an AR goes in straight, and an AK you have to kind of roll it in like Savage said.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 07:23:53 AM »
Your "Nam" vet friend got it backwards,------straight in with the AR,

Thank you. 

the vet in question ... is one of those that hangs out down at the gun shop I go into from time to time..

Sounds to me like he also did more hanging out during his military career then then loading M-16's!   ::)  :D  BTW, the "rocking" method was also used when loading M-14 magazines, and of course the M1's were loaded by pushing streight in... ;)   ;D

I believe the method is dictated by the locking points on the magazine.  Check out the latching points on an M14 and an AK.  Compare them to the locking point on an M16 mag.   :-\

Ain't got nuthin to do with the mags being/getting old, that's normally associated with feed lip wear...  And the "pop" you give the mag on the bottom after sticking it in the magazine well is to insure the mag is completely seated/locked.   :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »
I aint no Nam Vet But I am a Vet of about everything since then, We got taught to rock in your M14 mag and bump it with the heal of your hand to make sure it seated, When they finaly made us use M16s we got told to slide it in straight then smack it with the heal of yer hand to make sure.  I do the same thing with almost every box mag firearm I own.     8)

Its been working for over thirty years now. ;D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired