Author Topic: .31 Wells Fargo Model - ease of loading? any tricks?  (Read 996 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.31 Wells Fargo Model - ease of loading? any tricks?
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
In my search for a .31 caliber "pocket model" BP revolver, I've run across a "Wells Fargo" model - basically the '49 pocket Colt without the loading lever.  I know that originally, the loading process was to remove the wedge, barrel and cylinder and use the end of the cylinder pin to push the lead balls into the cylinder chambers during the loading process.  For any of you that have and shoot the "Wells Fargo" model, is there an easier way to load it other than having to break it down each time?  Can the cylinder be loaded from the side (while still assembled) utilizing something such as a "short starter" to seat the ball?  It seems like it could if you were using pure lead balls such as a .315 or perhaps several thousandths larger?  The particular pistol I'm looking at has an extra cylinder included with it but it still seems like it would be a "chore" to knock the wedge out, disassemble it and put another loaded cylinder in.  I'd like to get it just to "plink" with but am curious if there are any loading "short cuts" or "tricks" that can be used while plinking or target shooting when a quantity of shots will be made. Thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Flint

Re: .31 Wells Fargo Model - ease of loading? any tricks?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »
Even though the Pocket Pistol/Baby Dragoon has a loading lever, it is so short as to be pretty hard to use.  You should be able to remove a properly fitted wedge with your fingers, you have to tune it so it can.  This, however should be done only after a bit of shooting to break it in and seat the parts. 

I can disassemble the 1860 Army I have an R&D drop-in cylinder installed in with my fingers to load/unload the cylinder.  The only difficulty you might encounter lacking a olading lever is removing the barrel if the arbor is too tight.  That must be checked for burrs etc.  The wedge should go in until the hook of the spring just reaches the frame slot on the right side.

I would get a loading stand from Dick Dastardly or similar off the gun device to load on, or make up a lever and plunger similar to the one used for the Paterson Colt, that, with the barrel removed, uses the wedge slot as a fulcrum to seat the ball.  If you really want simple, you could make a ram of brass or aluminum with a concave ball fitting end that you can use with a mallet to seat balls, and perhaps if it's long enough you can do it without disassembling the gun.

I use a loading stand (Dick's previous model) to load multiple cylinders for the cap & ball guns when I shoot a match, and have enough cylinders to shoot at least 4 stages before I have to reload a cylinder.

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=1302742a-9e12-41e5-881f-f99340c6d9e6
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Tryit 1

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 05:54:54 AM »
Bedbugbilly, I got my Wells Fargo pistol about two years ago and only shot it about 15 times. I like to backpack with a firearm and usually use the pocket model .36 or the 1849 model. After weighting all three and finding that with a piece 1/2 inch aircraft alumunium I beam with a rammer spud hung about 2 inches back I can reload with comfort and carry less weight. I cut one end to fit in the barrel spindle and file a hook on the barrel spud (spindle) end for secure ramming. The total package packs well and the pistol is, so "cute" as one rabid antigunner described it, that I do not disturb anyone with it. I do seal the nipples and the ball with beeswax so as not to have that "wicked bullet" exposed and weather proofing. I do dove- tail another sight on the barrel and open the cylinders up about 0.010 to get a good solid swaging action of the bullet into the barrel for optumin accruacy. Tryit.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 06:32:13 AM »
I have a shortened gun with no loading lever.  I just use my short starter for my ML rifle.  I remove the cyl., set it upright on a table and punch the bullets home.  I have an extra cyl. so that works ok for me.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)