Author Topic: New old guy  (Read 654 times)

Offline barberx

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.rgcustomcalls.com
New old guy
« on: September 19, 2003, 03:06:51 PM »
Hi all, I'm Richard Grantham, 69- retired, shoot a 223 Howa .
I was into swaginging a long time ago with equipment made by Ted Smith.
If I can find some used inexpensive 224 stuff I intend to start again.
Would welcome any advice, used stuff, and info on where to buy jackets, ect.
Log in name is barberx, as I retired from barbering ( 30 years) after serving 20 years Navy/Airforce.
Richard

Offline bullet maker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Welcome
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 05:27:23 PM »
Welcome Barberx :D
   Go read all the post on this forum, (bullet swaging), and you will get a lot of your questions answered. Also go to e-bay and you will sometimes find a lot of swaging stuff as well as this forum . welcome.
bullet maker
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
New old guy
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 05:42:27 PM »
Barberx, welcome to the board. There's not much activity here, but there are several folks with a lot of experience in swaging, and a few with some spare equiptment. Most questions are answered pretty quick... some even have good answers (ha!). If you are after prior-owned gear, keep your eyes on eBay, Auction Arms, Gunbroker, and to the " classified" listings on RCE and Corbins.com. (If these terms are unfamiliar to you just say so and site addresses can be provided, or found if you review the many seperate threads on this board). Your .224 jackets can be made (max weight up to 55 grains I think) using dies made to reform spent .22 rim fired brass, or jackets purchaced from several suppliers (again, just ask the board who has them).  Recommend you spend a few enjoyable hours scanning the several threads of this board as I don't think there is any other such sourse on the internet. Unfortunately, used tooling to make jacketed bullets in any caliber are sort of pricy these days. There is one .22 set up on eBay at this time thou. It is an older model, but still supportable. Use  the search word " swag* " and you will find it. Unfortunately it will close very soon, and I wouldn't bid on anything unless you know exactly what you are bidding on. If one critical punch is missing, it may cost $50 and 6 months to replace it to get up and going. 8)