Author Topic: Huntsman/MU Plug At The Range --- 1st Time  (Read 848 times)

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
Huntsman/MU Plug At The Range --- 1st Time
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:41:36 AM »
Finally had the time to introduce my Huntsman and Nick's plug to paper at the range. Far past due I might add!

Powder: BH 209, 90 grns.
Primer: Federal No. 209A
Bullet: Hornady 240 grn. HP/XTP Sabots
Bushnell Trophy Red Dot

I was limited to 60 yard sight in distance which would be adequate where I hunt. Possible, but not likely 100 yds. Sun right in my face....needed some excuse for the 3rd "flyer"shot. Actually I do have a pretty good excuse in that I changed my rest knowing that it was wobbly. First 2 shots were after bore sighting only, 3rd was the "flyer", and final three, after readjusting my rest, were after minor sight adjustment. No swabbing between shots and not much problem getting consecutive sabots down the bore, just getting them started down about the first three inches.

The results.....

I did "mill out" and polish the carrier with polishing compound. If I had to do it all over again, I would just polish the primer insertion hole over the "O" ring in the plug. I may have taken it "out of spec" somewhat. Polishing did help immensely when removing the spent primer, but I still need a tool to remove it. Will purchase actual tool today.

By the way....no blow back whatsoever!

May consider a scope in the future as well.

Had a GREAT time at the range!

I don't like Smileys, but................ ;D 
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Huntsman/MU Plug At The Range --- 1st Time
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 04:09:19 AM »
Good shooting Doug! Especially for those bullets, they are not the most accurate in my rifles. I think it may have something to do with the sabot petals being too long for the bullets? It is hard to seat the bullets without distorting the sabot petals with som of the full size jags. The 300 grainers do very well.

I have one of my plugs that I may have opened up too much. I think it gives the primer more room to swell, and with the extra momentum allows the primers to stick a little bit more with the heavy loads. Get yourself one of the metal 209 capper/decapper tools. I just use the capper end, slide it over the rim and pull straight back if I get a stubborn one.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Reese

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 04:27:17 AM »
Nice shooting!

How much BH209 were you using?  I had no problems using my fingers to get the primers out using 90gr.   I have a 24" barrel (22" working length) and w/ T7 90 gr is about the most efficient so I figured the same limitation with BH209.  Does BH209 burn faster or slower than T7?

Offline Doug B.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 07:08:54 AM »
Did revise my post but thought I'd add.....

I was using 90 grns. of the 209.

Did check at Scheels about an hour ago and they are out of the tool needed to remove the spent primer. Will need to look around a bit I guess.

Next time at the range, a load of BH 209, 85 grns. might be in order. If I get the same accuracy out of that load, might be a good thing. The 90 grns. packed quite a punch to my shoulder dressed in just a summer shirt! 

Offline Doug B.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 01:04:46 AM »
Does BH209 burn faster or slower than T7?

Good question.
Can anybody shed some light on this?

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 04:47:20 AM »
Does BH209 burn faster or slower than T7?

Good question.
Can anybody shed some light on this?

I have information from a VERY reliable source that the pressure curves of BH209 & 777 are almost identical under the same load. With the very light projectiles <200 gr, the 777 can be give better velocities with some loads. With projectiles >200 gr, BH209 wins every time, and continues to outrun 777 even more as bullets get heavier. So with that information, MY thinking is that BH209 would be slightly slower as 777 is spanking the bullets out just slightly faster on the light projectiles, but as weight increases BH209 spanks 777 due to bullet dwell time and more efficient burn.

I have a 24" Huntsman that just loves BH209, just load and shoot until the cows come home. Then get up the next morning and do it all over again. BH209 with the MU breech plug gives me, no crud ring, no swabbing, no blowback (except for a hint of soot on the standing breech where smoke is leaking through the primers themselves), no stopping to drill carbon out of flame channels (99.9% of it goes right into the charge where it should), never a stuck breech plug. I have also tested several primers (10 now), and never had the slightest hang-fire with the MU breech plug and BH209, and that includes the 209-4 (410 primers), Rem Kleanbore ML, 777 ML primers. Now using the factory plug is a whole different story, you MIGHT get good ignition IF you use a brand new primer carrier each shot AND the hottest Fed 209A or CCI Mag primers, but hang-fires on 90%+ were normal in my testing.

Back to your question, very little difference in velocities of comparable loads between the two powders. If you are shooting <200 gr bullets a slight advantage may go to 777, but if you are shooting >200 gr bullets the advantage goes to BH209. After getting past that, you need to weigh out all the other factors mentioned above. My SWAG would be that the BH209 is slightly slower, but more efficient with a wider variety of hunting bullets.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Doug B.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 05:16:46 AM »
Thanks again for your comments Busta. Much appreciated by everyone on this forum I'm sure.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 06:32:57 AM »
Busta is the man. 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.