Author Topic: What's your opinion of the .38 Special?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline azmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What's your opinion of the .38 Special?
« on: June 06, 2009, 11:46:23 AM »
Assuming the flexibility of handloading and a gun rated for +P pressures, what are your feelings about the .38 Special as a general purpose handgun round?  It seems like it should be perfectly good for everything from target shooting and plinking to varmint control to home defense. 
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
Re: What's your opinion of the .38 Special?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 12:13:57 PM »
aya sounds bout right
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 12:33:26 PM »
While I was in high school I read an article about how good the 38 is at all of the jobs you just listed, so I saved up some bucks and bought me one. That was so long ago that I just walked into the store and plunked down my money and walked out with the gun, no paperwork, no signitures, a high school kid could do that back then.

Me and the 38 have been inseperable since then. I've had flings with the 44s and 45s, and now I am playing around with 32s, but they were all just passing fancies, only 22s even come close to the use my 38s get.

I carried one for 20 years in LE and only at the end of my career did I shoot 357s. When our agency switched to autos I kept carrying my 38.

Last summer I bumped off a prairie dog at 63 yards and another at 67. A few years ago I head shot 2 grouse with 3 shots.

I have a Marlin in 357 and it makes a great companion to my 6 shooters. Reloading them really brings out their potential, and last time I calculated, if you cast, they cost less than a 22 to shoot.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »
I wouldn't be without one.  I have a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece in perfect condition, a S&W Model 36 nickle plated in perfect condition, and an NEF Handi Rifle in .357.  The cartridge is so cheap to shoot and so accurate.  I don't need anything else.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 12:41:50 PM »
While I was in high school I read an article about how good the 38 is at all of the jobs you just listed, so I saved up some bucks and bought me one. That was so long ago that I just walked into the store and plunked down my money and walked out with the gun, no paperwork, no signitures, a high school kid could do that back then.

Me and the 38 have been inseperable since then. I've had flings with the 44s and 45s, and now I am playing around with 32s, but they were all just passing fancies, only 22s even come close to the use my 38s get.

I carried one for 20 years in LE and only at the end of my career did I shoot 357s. When our agency switched to autos I kept carrying my 38.

Last summer I bumped off a prairie dog at 63 yards and another at 67. A few years ago I head shot 2 grouse with 3 shots.

I have a Marlin in 357 and it makes a great companion to my 6 shooters. Reloading them really brings out their potential, and last time I calculated, if you cast, they cost less than a 22 to shoot.

I have to ask:  how does the Marlin do with .38s?  I've heard that they don't feed well in the model 94.
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 12:46:13 PM »
I personally don't care for semi-auto pistols.  Give me a 38 or 357 revolver any day.  Ballistically on a par with or superior to the 9mm, and imho the 357 is superior to most semi auto rounds made today.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 12:53:40 PM »
 :) az, I feel like the other guys here. While I do not have a 38 spl.,  I only shoot 38 spl loads in my .357's. so for all purposes they are .38's. I have never gone beyond the .44 mag. or 45 Long Colt, but for 99 percent of all my center fire shooting the .38 is perfect. My favorite is a Highway Patrol Smith, but my everyday gun is a model 60 with 38 +P loads. I carry my .44 when in grizzly country and sometimes around here, but I have thought of selling one of them and getting another Highway Patrol model. I have tremendous respect for Elmer Keith and his devotion to the .44 mag. But I know some pretty good handgun shots, and Elmer is still the greatest. BUT although he brought on the .44 mag, and all the craze that went with it and continued on until the cannons that pass for handguns today, for most of us, the .38 special is perfect. We can shoot light loads for target, small game, and little pests even pratice in our basements, or we can hope them up for bigger varmits and self defense. I have shot all my big game with a .44 or .45 colt, but on smaller varmits with light loads in all guns, I see little difference in the performance of these on varmits. I like my pistols, even have a few autos, but if the chips were down, I would pick a couple revolvers over my autos if I knew a shoot out were coming. Reason, 50 years of use has made them part of me. I know they won't jam. But for most of us, this will never happen. It is can I pop that prairie dog at 40 yards or the jack at 25 or hit a grouse or turkey with a cast load. For this stuff the .38 is perfect. ;)

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 01:14:03 PM »
The .44 mag is a bit much, in my opinion, but I agree with what you said about Elmer.  I actually do own a 6" GP100.  My original post was based on wanting a gun to carry around our rural area that's easier to handle than the GP.  I'm thinking of getting the GP drilled and tapped for a scope and trying to shoot some coyotes.  They're considered simply vermin here and I think I could do a number on one with a good, stout .357 load even at a distance.  What do you think, Wyo. Coyote Hunter?  Sound reasonable?
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
AZ, I think for close range say 50-75 yards the hot 38's with like a 140 grain hollow point would be ok. One would have to have it a try.I just bought a 1000 Speer 146 grain hollow points on close out. I used these alot on varmit years ago, but not coyotes. We seldom get close shots at dogs so most of mine have been taken with a rifle. I guess when I think of it, they are very tough. Elmer said they are our toughest animal to kill. I have finished several with my 38's and they were out like lights, something that didnot happen with .22's. I never had  scope on a handgun, it always ruined the feel for me. I prefered a carbine or small rifle like a micro Browning or maybe a Rem. model 7. If you are up on Elmer, you know he didn't like scopes on handguns. I alway;s went with his feelings no use trying to make a revolver into a rifle. I think if you had a good hot load and 140 grain bullet you would take some coyotes, but I think if I were agoing for a walk to "look" for coyotes I would take my rifle. But often we are doing something that carrying a rifle is not pratical, that is when the "weapon of opportunity" the handgun comes into play. Let us know how this works out ;) :D

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:49:34 PM »
I shoot a lot of full wadcutters.  They are pretty accurate in my guns.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 04:20:10 PM »
The .38 Special is plenty of gun for nearly anything unless you are going to hunt deer or anything larger. IMHO you need something larger then to be assured of humane kills. I like 160 semi-wadcutter bullets and have fired thousands of them in .38 Specials and .357 mags. I have about an equal number of .38's and .357's. The S&W model 10 heavy barrel is a great handgun and is still relatively inexpensive. For adjustable sights, buy a model 15.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 05:04:41 PM »
if  you already have a 38  you should be alright

but  if your in the market  get  the 357...no  dought

brass cost the same.....free....in the trash can at almost any range...i got a 5 gallon bucket full
primers cost the same
powder  for 357 cost 2 cents and  0ne cent for the 38....at most

38  is a good  round
357 is a great round....and  also it  is a 38  too
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 05:06:42 PM »
I never get any free .357 brass.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »
I never get any free .357 brass.

well  then  you are not as experienced at dumpster diving  as i am
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 10:38:10 PM »
If I were to buy a revolver, I'd probably get a .357, as it is a tad more versatile than a .38 Special. However, as  I already have a .357, another smaller one to put into my pocket would be nice. One does not have to shoot .357 loads from his .357, but it's comforting to know that you can.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 01:28:45 AM »
  I like the 38 special too.  In factory loadings, I think it has about the best balance of delivered impact to felt recoil. ( Handloading only gets you better, but I like to measure a cartridge by what you can get off the shelf as a base line for comparison.)  It has the light recoil of a 9mm with the revolvers ability to shoot flat nosed rounds and bullet weights that are not an option in 9mm. 

There are many rounds more powerful, but the balance I mentioned is key.  Power that misses doesn't count. 

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 05:03:48 AM »
Azmark

My Marlin feeds 38s just fine, I used it for cowboy shooting for quite a few years. The only thing that hangs it up occasionally are SWC bullets, and they usually feed if you jiggle the lever. There is also a myth that shooting 38s in a 357 screws it up for the 357s. I've never had that problem in either six shooter or rifle.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 06:21:46 AM »
  Greatest all-around revolver cartridge every created.

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 12:59:49 PM »
I think I need a K-frame S&W.  I should start following autions on Gunbroker while I try to squirrel away money.
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 01:49:52 PM »
Do any know the differences between the .38, .38 Super, 9mm, 9x23 and the .357 ?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jlwilliams

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 01:52:51 PM »
Do any know the differences between the .38, .38 Super, 9mm, 9x23 and the .357 ?
Blessings

I could tell the difference looking at them, but if I got shot with one I doubt I could tell you which it was.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 01:52:59 PM »
Blessings

38 and 357  are  .357 of an inch
9 mm  are  .355

38 super  don't know

357 sig  is .355...why is that?????????????

Offline jlwilliams

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 02:03:50 PM »
  OK a serious response.

The 38 super is .357.  Also, of the calibers listed, the 38 special and 357 magnum are rimmed and the others are rimless (I think)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
super is simi rimed

some headspace on mouth  others on  the rim

why  38  and  not 36??      exagerating??

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 02:17:46 PM »
For years I had shot 38 Spl's in my 357 Mag. handguns with good results, but it wasn't until I bought a S&W K-38 that the 38 Spl really impressed me. This was an awesome caliber. Super accurate, easy to shoot, low noise, great paper puncher and an awesome small game caliber. Now I have a 1937 Colt Police Positive in 4" that is a great back packing gun and I have 2 Colt Officer Model Match Target revolvers ( one is 1926 the other is a 1953 ) both are super accurate with my old stand by load of 2.7 grs of Bulleye under a 148gr HBWC or my own 148gr cast wadcutters.
So the 38 Spl is a great all a round caliber as long as you stay within its limitations.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 02:42:42 PM »
super is simi rimed

some headspace on mouth  others on  the rim

why  38  and  not 36??      exagerating??

If I remember right the .38 caliber was measured by measuring the chamber in the cylinder as opposed to the bullet. Same as the .32-20 since the bullet is actually .30 caliber? Read this years ago and can't confirm it but it made since back then.

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 04:49:10 PM »
Here's a question for y'all...what would you consider the max effective distance for shooting smaller critters with a 148 gr wadcutter loaded to go about 900 fps?  The biggest animal we're talking about for the most part would be one of our jackrabbits which are bigger than a lot of small dogs...no kidding.  If a coyote showed up at the chicken coop, I'd shoot it too.  I doubt one would show up during the daytime, but it could happen.  The ones I see I would guess to be maybe 30 lbs or so, they're kinda scrawny in AZ.
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »
With a 6" Model 14 I'd go 75 yds.
held fast

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 02:39:35 AM »
Hmmmm, full wadcutter slugs usually lose their trajectory and begin to tumble beyond 50 yds or so.  They also lose a lot of their velocity due to their flat nose.  The uses you have described, on small game, are definately within the capability of the 38 Spl, and the wadcutter at 900'/sec will be effective.

38 Spl = .357-8.  357 = .357-8.  9mm, 38 Super and 357 Sig are all .355 diameter.  9mm is rimless with a tapered case; 38 Super is semi-rimmed and with a straight case but even factory barrels today chamber this round on the case mouth for much enhanced accuracy (the semi-rim was/is not conductive to great accuracy.  Most twists on 9mms is about 1:10"; 38 Spl/357 twist is about 1:18.75; 38 Super about 1:16".

The 38 Super started life as a semi-auto version of the 38 Spl (I think).  It is a straight case with a miniscule rim - I think it was even patterned after the 38 Spl case but that's just my 2 cents worth. 

I would think the 357 Sig may sport a twist similar to the 9mm but again, don't really know - maybe closer to the 38 Super or 9x23 winchester, but again, don't really know. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 02:46:53 AM »
Well , anything a 38 can do you can do with a 357 mag. revolver except target shoot and then the 357 mag. gun you shoot it in  may be as good .
Any auto load listed by WL has a differen't shaped bullet ( this is the main difference as far as bullet ) done so to aid in feeding . This makes it less destructive in flesh some feel. The 357 has same bullet as 38SPL. more times than not but delivers it at a much higher speed .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !