Author Topic: Why 400 grain max?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Why 400 grain max?
« on: June 06, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »
My new wolf magnum manual warns aganst using more than 400 grain conical even though it will safely shoot magnum charges of powder. 1)  Why?  2)Do you think I can safely shoot 460 grain No Excuse & 400 grain White power punch with 100 grains of powder?  3) Some Powerbelts weigh more than 400 grains;  Are they considered conicals?  Thanks

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Why 400 grain max?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 04:57:49 PM »
they have not updated thier manuals probably since their first inline came out. Ive been shooting 444gr powerbelts ( yes they are conicals) with 100gr pyrodex RS out of my Accura.  I dont know if i'd fire that light weight wolf with a 100gr charge and the 460 conical. It was a eye opener with my 8lb accura  :D

Try 80gr and see how it does. You wont notice a huge difference in FPS with those big bullets.

Offline moto357

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:32:39 AM »
smallest bullets i shoot out of my wolf is a 445gr conical, largest being 590gr gas checked bullet i cast.  no issues and suprisingly accurate with these large bullets.  the felt recoil with this gun is a bit more than with any other ML i have tho, but its fun to shoot and easy to clean as well.  i chronied some loads last week with a different rifle, it has a 22" barrel as opposed to the 24" on the wolf, but let me say that even at 125gr of pyrodex P behind the 445gr bullet only went about 1450ish.  for a large bullet like that, its moving pretty good still, but i dont shoot big bullets for the speed... ;Dnext

a 495gr bullet with 75gr Pyrodex P
1161 fps
1183 fps

495gr bullet with 85gr of Pyrodex P
1284 fps
1272 fps
1286 fps

just some of my results

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:31:22 PM »
my question goes the other way. Why the need for such a heavy bullet? 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 01:36:57 PM »
just because  :D   Even though i am recoil sensitive, i still like to throw a big chunk of lead now and then.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:52:38 PM »
my question goes the other way. Why the need for such a heavy bullet? 
  Based on Precision Rifle bullet selection chart, the heavier conicals are recommended for 1:28" twist barrels and have served me well in my Knight rifle for the short range deer hunting I encounter;  Complete pass thru in vitals or instant knock down on shoulder with no expansion and minimal tissue damage using  lighter charges.  I have a large supply of these conicals  & if they perform well in my new CVA Wolf I woud like to use them.   I am of the opinion that the lighter bullets are better used with magnum loads & longer range but having never shot at game  beyond 50 yards it's only my theory and am open to correction.

Offline moto357

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 05:39:40 PM »
know yer gun and load's trajectory and big bullets carry more energy even at those long distances.  Everyone likes different things tho, to each his own.

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 01:47:04 AM »
Would you rather be hit by a BB or a train?   ;D
WHUT?

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 02:58:31 PM »
Me personally the bb. I will have a better chance of surviving.  Anyway I have to wonder how the people who freed this country and the settlers and pioneers ever survived with round balls since they are so light and useless.    No one told them that a buffalo would not die from a round ball.  I will have to let the deer know when I shoot them with a 177 grain round ball that they will not die and it will just sting.I personally shoot a 250 grain lead bullet I mold myself in a sabot in my guns and have not had to chase deer after shooting them out to 100 yards.  Like it was stated to each his own and I wish you all the best. 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 07:47:11 AM »
I will have to let the deer know when I shoot them with a 177 grain round ball that they will not die and it will just sting.

I have a .36 caliber muzzleloader that was made about 1850-60.  The gun belonged to my Great-Grandfather.  My Grand-Paps diary shows he killed at least 30 deer with that gun and round balls.  The gun writers are hawking all kinds of spiffy new bullets that they claim are absolutely needed if one is to kill a deer.  It makes me wonder how my dad and his friends all managed to kill a deer or two every year with their .25-20, .32-30, .32-40 and .38-55 guns. 

Lewis and Clark killed big grizzly bears with their .45 caliber guns and round balls.  Some of those bears had to be shot a few times and some died at the first shot.   

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 03:58:28 PM »
i killed my big ol elk at 140 yards with a 224gr round ball with only 80gr pyrodex rs. Penetration to a vital area is going to kill the animal within a very reasonable amount of time.  Heck if i go for a bear tag this fall im using a 177gr round ball out of my flinter.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 02:15:44 AM »
 Patched Roundballs work great;  But the rifling needs to be slower (1:66 - 1"48).  Perhaps  the guns of old were made this way???

Offline ccoorreeyy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 02:28:01 PM »
Would you rather be hit by a BB or a train?   ;D

Depends on how fast the train is going?  ;D
This is the day that the Lord hath made!!  I will rejoice and be glad in it!!