Author Topic: Fabrication du Mortier de Monstre de Paixhans avec des Photos  (Read 15888 times)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Fabrication du Mortier de Monstre de Paixhans avec des Photos
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »
Shucks!!!! If you want a large mortar, just find an old missle silo. Pack it full of powder, drop in something for a projo and set it off.   ;D ;D

Have you been reading Jules Verne recently?   ;D

From the missile silo selling site:

Today, most of these silos lie abandoned and filled with water, monuments to governments wastefulness and a bygone era.

I guess national defense is wastefull to these clowns.  Anyway, they were intended as deterrents; firing the missiles would have meant that deterrence had failed.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2009, 04:33:01 AM »

We would all be eating breakfast consisting of fried bacon and eggs ( O.K. !), beans (beans, for breakfast?), fried tomatoes (maybe not), fried bread (Huh?), marmalade on toast (no), Black Pudding, a thick sausage made of blood and fat (no way, no how!).  Or, if you are in a hurry, another popular breakfast in England is the Kipper, a type of salted, smoked herring that is then grilled or fried and you can wash all that salt down with a big mug o’ Tea!  I believe the serving of Coffee is illegal in England; you must learn to drink tea for breakfast, lunch and at Teatime (everything stops at 4:00 P.M. for a spot o’ tea).  How about a scone eaten with Devonshire clotted cream?  How about a steak and kidney pie for lunch?

Except for the blood pudding, it sounds good.  Beats streaker lean, hard crackers, and burnt barley coffee.  And, if  you go back just a bit and peruse household accounts, it looks like beer was a favored breakfast beverage. Also lunch and dinner.  Two quarts at each meal for the servants.  And there is a lot to be said for the ploughmans lunch.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 08:08:53 AM »
      Mr. Gaskill,   You have pointed out two outstanding observations in your latest posting.  To say that we are in agreement would be the understatement of the new century.  Regarding the French author, Jules Verne, he inspired me to dream about large cannons long before I had fired even one BP firearm and I've always wanted to build something similar to what the Baltimore Gun Club created in Verne's novel, From the Earth to the Moon.  Impey Barbicane, the President of the Club issued a challenge to the members to reach the moon with a giant cannon shell space vehicle, manned of course!  A truly compelling story, it details the construction of a huge cannon very close to where Cape Canaveral, FL is located today.  Barbicane says his farewells to throngs of gun club members in the image below:

The second is the totally oblivious attitude displayed by this real estate developer.  When I read that comment about "Wasteful Gov't Spending", I thought, this has to be written by someone with the intelligence of axle grease.  Good grief, don't these people realize that if you don't learn the lessons that history teaches us,  you are doomed to repeat that history? 

subdjoe,   Given the choice, I'd probably go for the Brit's breakfast minus that pudding!  Thanks for pointing that out.

More wood timber drilling and fitting today; mortar platform goes on the trailer today,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »
Tornado's report in the Denver area.

M & T reading Jules Verne and building a giant mortar

Draw your own conclusions.    ;D

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »
If Mike and Tracy lived in a missle silo they wouldn't have to get out of the way of Tornadoes. They would be snug in their hole in the ground and could use a few of the levels to build their fantastic cannons and probably have an indoor shooting range to boot.   ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »
     DD and Ex 49'er,  Honestly fellas we don't have any idea what is driving this weather, but it's not us!  In fact, it is slowing our usual inch-worm pace to a true snail's pace.  The only thing we are worried about is the initial test firing which will occur about two weeks after we get the functional bore from the heavy equipment machine shop.  They say by next Thursday.  Hope so.

Like the folks at Trinity site, we are worried a bit about a general conflagration of the atmosphere when this beast is tested.  :o :o       If that does happen, all you can say is,  "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

Offline Double D

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 03:58:45 PM »
I was wondering more if the was a cause-effect between building a super mortar, reading Jules Verne, and tornadic clouds.  ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 04:11:32 PM »
I was wondering more if the was a cause-effect between building a super mortar, reading Jules Verne, and tornadic clouds.  ;D

ABSOLUTEY!   One of those causes the other two.

:o
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2009, 05:13:09 PM »
      Regarding the French author, Jules Verne, he inspired me to dream about large cannons long before I had fired even one BP firearm and I've always wanted to build something similar to what the Baltimore Gun Club created in Verne's novel, From the Earth to the Moon.  Impey Barbicane, the President of the Club issued a challenge to the members to reach the moon with a giant cannon shell space vehicle, manned of course!  A truly compelling story, it details the construction of a huge cannon very close to where Cape Canaveral, FL is located today.  Barbicane says his farewells to throngs of gun club members in the image below:

Tracy and Mike

Reminds me of Canadian artillery designer Gerald Bull who [if I remember correctly] in the early 60's was lobbying the U.S. government for funds to build a cannon for launching a man into orbit. He went on to build the infamous "supergun" for Saddam Hussein.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 05:31:04 PM »
so then tracy the masad may be lurking in broomfield . if they ,are throw me a bone buddy ...i alawys loved those 'shopp gunnss you have lying around ....in the basementttt ......

i know it's early and all ...but if 'they' are looking for you may not make the montana shoot .....or even tomorrow  like the seceret agent song ...........so run dont walk to my gun down there and tag it with my name .....oh yea build a carrage tooo .....lickty split  .

i'll be down there in the morning to see my new gun !
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 08:02:28 PM »
     Cause and effect?  Maybe reading From the Earth to the Moon more than forty years ago planted a seed which germinated, was nourished, and grew steadily, flourishing naturally to eventually be harvested and end up in the lot behind the cannon builders shop as one-half ton of Douglas Fir timbers, bored, sawed and planed to become a similar French Mortar Bed and platform.  All I can say about the tornadic clouds is that they could possibly be caused by the wild gyrations of a cannon builder with a half ton of timbers and 400 lbs. of steel hardware, but no mortar tube yet!

Don't know anything about the man who built or designed the Iraqi supergun, but it's ability, in an earlier version to launch satelites caused quite a stir in the scientific community.  Gary, your paranoia is showing, but you are certainly welcome any time.  No free guns; no free carriages; that's our motto.  You might get a free lunch occasionally, especially after all your help with making heavy mortar projectiles.

We will post a few more pics when we get that functional tube at next week's end, hopefully! 

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 12:58:02 AM »
....so run dont walk to my gun down there and tag it with my name .....

So when they break in they find YOUR name and YOU are then added to their HIT LIST!!! 

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »
From Victor3,
Where's the barrel anyways? We wanna see it.

Just got it, and both the Chamber piece and the Tube look great and fit together precisely.  The photos below pretty much tell the story.  The entire platform and shell hoist should be finished by the 4th of July, then we can finish the bed, drill the vent, build the cosmetic shroud, base plate, finish the 85 pieces of hardware and do the painting of the bed and Watersealing of the platform.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

The Chamber piece sits on a Cincinnati Horizontal with special handling and lifting fixtures included.  11" Dia. by 11" long, it is quite a chunk.

The chamber is 4.000" Dia. by 8.000" long with a full spherical radius at the bottom, within the 8.000".  The top edge has a 1.00" radius.

If you enlarge this photo, you can see the scale reads 267 Lbs.  The 3/4" thick, 28.0" long, tube is another 210 Lbs., so the functional mortar tube, complete, weighs 477 Lbs. 

The Tube is held by the indexer's chuck, riding on two greased aluminum cradles and the programming complete for the two, six clearance hole, bolt circles for the 1/2-13 UNC Chamber piece bolts.

The chain hoist holds the Tube over the Chamber piece, ready for lowering to facilitate a functional fit inspection with all twelve bolts tightened.

Safely at the Broomfield Cannon Manufactory, ready for unloading, Groan.

Mike and Bruce struggle a bit lowering the 267 Lb. Chamber piece to the hand truck.  Nobody was hurt; it was a Safe, exciting and successful move!  To say we are happy, is a bit of an understatement.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2009, 04:19:33 PM »
I'm Speechless! 
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2009, 04:51:39 PM »
Ahhhh the thing that separates men and boys -  the WEIGHT of their toys!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2009, 02:20:47 AM »
 Neato!

I think I just threw my back out looking at the pics though.

So did they end up boring the tube from solid?

And what's that step on the top of the chamber OD for (as if I didn't know ;))
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2009, 04:44:22 AM »
Looking good!  Nice machine work on the plug.  Probably the ONLY scale Paixhans on the planet.  At least in that size. :)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2009, 04:36:54 PM »
     You're right Dom, they did do a nice job on that plug.  I only specified 32 microinch finish; I bet they got it down to 24 both inside and out.  Craftsmanship!  Gotta love it.  Tim, I believe this case proves your point.  More evidence below in two pics.  Allen, so was I when I looked at that huge pile of timbers out back, before any had been cut to size or drilled!

Victor3,  We have avoided any back problems so far, but tomorrow morning we all get together including our friend from Longmont, Gary, for the flipping of the platform onto the trailer.  Oh boy, can't wait to do that!  With 400 pounds of timbers bolted tightly together, we should be O.K.  We did not have the tube bored from solid after all; we went with the other bid after all, so we got a seamless mechanical tube Hot Drawn Steel and then machined both inside and out to dimension.  I gave them +/- .010" on that 11.000" Dia. bore.  They only used 10% of the tolerance; the delivered tube has a bore of 11.001" to 11.002".  Not bad, not bad at all.  Yes that step or notch is there all right, ready to accept about 5 oz. of that high-temp silicone goop you recommended.  The plug and the tube are a running fit for easy assy, so there is .006" clearance all around the plug.  SO, IFFEN THAR BE ANY SPARKS OR CURLS OF SMOKE ESCAPIN, WE MIGHT BE COMIN TO KALIFORNIA TO VISIT!   :o :o   .......................Only kidding, it will work just fine!  Besides, there's a guarantee right on the Silicon Goop Tube.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Tim is right, everything about this mortar is heavy.  These Maneuvering Bolts weighed 30 Lbs. before machining.

AND, they still weigh 25 Lbs. after being turned.  25 Lbs. X 4 = 100 Lbs.  Yikes!  Another 100 Lbs. just to have something to push against with your Maneuvering Spikes when returning the beast to Battery!  A full 7" goes inside the timbers of the bed to resist prying loose.  Oh, those 4 big, 2" X 2" square things will be nuts to go on the ends of the 7/8-6 main, cross bolts which hold the bed together.

The wee one Christen's the Paixhans Mortar platform with a water balloon, a proper projectile from an artillerist so young.  Mike keeps his distance after seeing me get nailed at point blank range!

Offline Double D

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2009, 07:03:56 PM »
I thought this was going to be big?   ;D

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2009, 01:11:37 AM »
"SO, IFFEN THAR BE ANY SPARKS OR CURLS OF SMOKE ESCAPIN, WE MIGHT BE COMIN TO KALIFORNIA TO VISIT!       .......................Only kidding, it will work just fine!  Besides, there's a guarantee right on the Silicon Goop Tube."

Oh I expect thar'll be a few sparks and a little smoke escapin' that contraption, but mainly out the front end :)

How much powder will you use?

Will the tube fit on the rifling machine?

I expect you'll win a koo-pee doll in the scale category at least. Don't think I've seen a bigger home-built mortar on GBO or anywhere else.

I don't know what would be involved, but it might be cool to build (or buy) some kind of a simple seismometer to measure how much the ground shakes near your impact zone.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2009, 04:28:08 AM »
Will you be able to chronograph that monster?   ;D
You might want to take it to the Casper cannon shoot.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »
I thought this was going to be big?   ;D

You know DD, we thought it would be nice to offer you a chance to touch off the first PMM round at the shoot as a thank you for putting all this together.  But now.......well, we still will make that offer, but we may misplace the 7 foot long linstock at the last minute.  You will be forced to light that 12" long quill with a Bic lighter.          The look on your face when two pounds of powder BLAST that barrel of concrete toward the horizon should be priceless!!

Victor,   We think that 8 oz. to 12 oz. should get our concrete mortar projectiles to 100 yards.  We will start with 6 oz.  The tube will fit on the rifling machine with a large aluminum rifling head with steel wear pads.  The Paulson brothers have made a bigger mortar;  we saw their shop built 1861 13" Seacoast Mortar when we visited in Dec. of 2006.  The seizmo thingy better be wireless, or we may have to draw lots to see who will man it's controls within the impact zone.     

Ex 49'er,   Someday we hope to be able to figure out a well shielded and anchored chronograph.  With the huge shadow that the big jug will cast, the sensors shouldn't have to be too close, should they?  I was just thinking about the Casper shoot today, shooting up there in Wyoming for the big money Mortar prize at 400 yards might be a lot of fun.  We will see if two pounds will get us to 400 or not.

A few pics for today's platform build and flip are included below.  Mike and I say Thank You!! to Gary, Bruce and my son for their invaluable assistance today.

Mike and Tracy

The secret to accurate hole placement for the 1/2-13 all-thread rod is to select straight timbers at the lumber yard and clamp them to an angle plate or other known square surface on your drill press table.  Also measure both holes from the same spot on the same end.

After deciding where to anchor the shell hoist, we built a three part anchor.  The piece shown is the bottom plate which is shown on top so it could be traced around and the wood routed out to 1/2" to fit the plate's thickness. The other two parts are an identical plate which goes on top of a double thick timber pedestal and a steel cylinder, welded to the top plate and fits within the large hole in the bottom plate.

The plate fits in it's recess, and, after the platform flip-over, will be on the bottom, between the trailer deck and the bottom platform
surface.  In this position the hoist will be able to lift objects from the ground and mortar ammunition from the short side of the platform and feed the muzzle of the mortar on the other side.  The mortar position is central to the platform's length and even with the edge of the platform closest to the targets.

A few inches of excess length from the lifting arm guide of the shell hoist anchor provides a handy way to lay out out a unique hole in the platform to be drilled and then sawed.  The lower end of the 2" Dia. Shell Hoist lifting arm goes into the 2.030" Dia I.D of the heavy-wall tube which joins the two plates.  The O.D. is 3.0".

With Gary as the rock steady cameraman, the lift begins after a short safety discussion.  Note the anti kick-back stakes pounded into the ground along the left edge of the right hand ground support beam.  These resist sudden movement of the platform as it touches the trailer's edge on the way down.

Relief is felt as the heavy platform reaches vertical. Tracy notices, however, that it is 3/8 of an inch off to the right.

Bruce provides some sideways movement with a 12 Lb. persuader.  Wrinkled edges on the trailer are not allowed!

Coming down!  Boy did that platform ever get heavy as it reached a point 6" off the trailer.  NO pinched fingers!!

One more 1-2-3-HEAVE!!  That mass of wood slid very nicely to within 1" of the stop line.  Not Bad.  A little more sledge-hammer work and she was on the line.  All in all, a very good day.  Tomorrow we build the upper shell hoist anchor structure and bolt it all together with 3/4-10 bolts and install and TEST the Shell Hoist with it's authentic wooden blocks and sisal rope tackle.

Offline Double D

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2009, 07:53:31 PM »
What you posted so far only looks heavy, not big.  Now that you have posted this latest set, it now looks big.

I wil be more than glad to  light it with my 36 inch Linstock....once.  ;D

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2009, 08:34:14 PM »
"The Paulson brothers have made a bigger mortar;  we saw their shop built 1861 13" Seacoast Mortar when we visited in Dec. of 2006."

Yeah, but that don't count.... Their mortar is full size. I meant to say reduced scale models like yours.

"The seizmo thingy better be wireless, or we may have to draw lots to see who will man it's controls within the impact zone."

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2009/03/gragraph-a-home-earthquake-seismograph.html

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2009, 02:37:43 AM »
DD ....

Use you 36 inch linstock to light the end of the 100 foot coil of fuse.

Be sitting in your car when you light it, have your engine running already and you might be able to get over the county line before all hell breaks loose.  ;)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2009, 02:43:34 AM »
Quote from:  Victor3link=topic=175356.msg1098841682#msg1098841682 date=1246168411
"The seizmo thingy better be wireless, or we may have to draw lots to see who will man it's controls within the impact zone."

Just make sure you're wearing you're hard hat.......Safety first! ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2009, 04:36:36 AM »
If you guys went to Casper with that monster mortar and were able to fling your projo out to 400+ yds. and hit the outhouse target there wouldn't be anything left of that crapper bigger than a serving platter!!!!!!!!! Go for it

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2009, 05:14:36 PM »
Ex 49’er,     We aren’t sure it would do all that, but the idea of going and actually trying appeals to us.

Allen,   We are not convinced that a hard hat would help you should the hideous happen, but at least the bright colored plastic would mark the spot were you were.

Rickk,   Don’t know if that is a vote of confidence, for DD or not Rick.  36” is probably enough stand-off distance, absolutely would NOT do it with less!

Victor3,  Reduced scale, got it.  Cheaper than 150 dollars, use an old time safe crackers trick.  Rub your finger tips on a piece of burlap for a few minutes until your fingerprints start to disappear.  They look almost shiny and are very sensitive.  Place them on a hard surface when various cannon are shot or projectiles land.   Relative impact energy can be felt as increased or decreased vibrations.

Double D,   you’re the man!

It rained almost all day here so we didn’t get  to do the outdoor work we had scheduled like actually assembling the shell hoist and testing it.  That we will do tomorrow, weather permitting.  Every time we turned around there was another pile of mortar bed hardware to paint.  Most was painted on Tuesday and Wednesday.  We worked indoors today on the last set of drawings and assembly plans.  Our friend Bruce applied about a gallon of  Thompson Waterseal to the trailer and mortar platform yesterday, and a huge tarp covered it all today.   The story in photos follows.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Mike used a pick mattock to raise the platform so I could put wood blocks and then a cross-beam in place.  The 85 Lb. bottom plate was then slid under and levered into position, trying to align all seven holes in the platform, steel plate and trailer bed.

Here I am dropping the ¾-10 bolts down through all the holes in one position.  Once alignment on all was achieved, the bolts were withdrawn and the upper shell hoist pedestal timbers placed over the 7 hole pattern and I slithered under the trailer with a 7/8” wood bit to mark the holes for the thru-drilling of the upper pedestal timbers. 

Alignment has been achieved.

Nut blanks and internal reinforcing pins fresh from the bandsaw. 

Here you see most of the washers in the three different sizes we need for this large mortar bed.

Another batch of hardware wanting a first or second coat of Rustoleum Universal Black All Surface Hammered Paint.  We like this stuff.  It looks great, resists scuffing and hides minor blems.  It has a sheen that is half way between satin and gloss, just what we were looking for.

The Shell Hoist lifting arm needs paint too.  I saw Mike give this innocent, inanimate object a very wary, dirty look as he walked past it today.  This is the thing that wacked his foot last week.  It’s just another 110 Lb. of essential hardware. 

Here I position a mock-up of a maneuvering bolt in relation to a mock-up maneuvering hand spike to determine the correct location of the bolt on the mortar bed.  The tip of the hand spike is on a piece of wood representing the upper surface of the Shell Hoist Pedestal.  This forces the position of the bolt upward, of course.

Offline Double D

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Have you computed the recoil factor for this thing?

Are you going to block the trailer or just use corner jacks to stablized?

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2009, 07:58:13 PM »
 Well, that's it... I've decided I'm going to make a mortar bigger than yours!

(Just as soon as I figure out how to make it from magnesium and balsa wood)

;D

That thing's gonna be awe-inspiring to watch going off. I do hope you take high quality video of it firing. Some slow motion clips would be cool.

Sherlock Holmes