Author Topic: Homemade Recoil Reducer?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline chipmunk

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Homemade Recoil Reducer?
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:35:56 AM »
So I just got my new synthetic stock set in the mail (Thanks jim36) and I will be getting a 45/70 barrel to go with it soon.  I have never shot a 45/70 but I think I might as well go ahead and work on reducing the recoil.  Couldn't hurt to have less recoil anyway.  I have thought about just adding commercial products but with me being a DIY person, maybe I could whip something up.  Of course I could just use the standard "JAM IT FULL OF HEAVY STUFF"  approach, but where's the fun in that?  I did a small amount of internet research but haven't found a whole lot of info so far.  Anybody got any ideas?  I want to try and compare several things.

I've been thinking about how the mercury deals work and I would imagine it involves the way the liquid wants to stay in place and therefor spreads out the recoil.   Maybe I could duplicate that somehow...

I better get thinking.

Feel free to throw in any idea that pops into your head.  Any actual experiences are appreciated too!

Chipmunk

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Homemade Recoil Reducer?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:03:10 AM »
A good place to start is here, a cheap one that works well for the synthetic stock is a sock filled with lead shot, add a Limbsaver prefit #10018 and you're as good to go as it gets...short of having someone else pull the trigger!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:08:26 AM »

I don't know about the mercury any more Chipmunk. when I was a kid we used to play with it in science class by rolling it around on the lab tables with a 3X5 card. Now if you break a thermometer they evacuate the school and call in the Hazmat teams. I think I'd try some fishing weights in a leather pouch first.

What do they call that? Occam's Razor?

When multiple competing hypotheses are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selecting the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood. To quote Isaac Newton: "We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. Therefore, to the same natural effects we must, so far as possible, assign the same causes.

In other words... simple is better.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »
Yup!  KISS.  Keep It Simple Stupid. ;)

I used 36 ounces of #4 shot in a sock in my .45-70.....works great.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline chipmunk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »
Thanks.  Maybe I just suck with the search because I didn't find a whole lot of the kinda of thing I'm thinking about.  Plenty of talk about stuffing them with lead or steel and adding pads but I'm thinking much more crazy then that!  I'm sure the lead and limbsaver is probably the normal way and will probably be what I will eventually do, but for now I just thought I might play around with some off the wall ideas.  Most of the things I come up with while I'm in this mindset are just plain useless but every now and then I end up with a gem!

Oh and I don't plan on actually playing with mercury, but I imagine the same principles are bound to be able to be applied to something else.  Right now I'm looking at some springs I had laying around and trying to come up with an idea.  That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.  Pointlessly complicated - yes.  But why not?  It's something to keep me busy.

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
I had the same question about a year ago.  I found a guy that made one with a lead weight on a spring inside a copper tube that was partially filled with some thick oil.  Not sure how well it worked, but it was an idea.  I had my hands on a substantial quantity of mercury for free that I was going to seal in a copper tube, but after a limbsaver the recoil was negligible.  Those things surely are amazing. 

Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:32:11 AM »
You can buy a 16oz MRR for $44 or less shipped, they work better than an equal or heavier dead weight, I've used both, see the FAQs.

When using the search, select just this forum from the list, I just used it for recoil reducer and got 2 full pages if hits.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 10:35:09 AM »
Old/or new stabilizer off a hunting bow, some are filled with powdered metal, gel, rubber compounds, even mercury,but the mercury ones tend to leak. Most are the right size for the hollow synthetic stocks, pack foam tight around them to keep them from rattling around.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline mtbugle

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 10:35:41 AM »
Like the spring idea as I tryied to post similar idea and it dumped on me. Adding oil could be neet also.  Possibly about an inch or so of RTV on end of heavy cylinder of weight would do same. The principle I believe is to spread out time of recoil punch to shoulder as well as adding some weight.

Offline chipmunk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 11:52:07 AM »
I think I'm gonna run with the spring idea for now.  Yes it is pointlessly complicated but I want to try it.  I imagine the hard part will be getting the right balance of spring and weight.  To weak of a spring and too much weight will let the rifle recoil normally while the weight moves almost freely making it useless.  Too strong of a spring won't let the weight move at all making it essentially a dead weight.  Before I could even start to address this issue I think I need to figure out how long the spring needs to be.  I would imagine it needs to be able to compress about the same distance that the rifle moves under recoil.  Any more and it is limiting the size of the weight I can use.  Any less and it will "bottom out" under the recoil.  I have no idea how to figure out this out.  My best guess is to find a video of people shooting 45/70's and make a highly scientific guesstimate. 

Wow I am putting WAY to much thought into this.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 12:09:43 PM »
Actually a recoil reducer works on the process of moving both weight and oil.  A tube, a spring and a weight that fits the tube closely and with a hole in it and the tube being filled with transmission fluid or other hydraulic oil. The weight is at the rear, the gun goes off making the weight inertia forward and the oil flowing thru the hole has the effect of slowing the objects (gun) velocity. The spring then pushes the weight back in place.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline chipmunk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 12:35:55 PM »
Thanks!  That makes better sense than what I was thinking a minute ago. Now I know where I'm going with this thing.  I'll probably get working on it here soon.  Man I bet tuning this thing is gonna be a challenge.

Keep those thoughts coming guys.  I would like to have a few other things to compare too.  The stabilizer idea sounds good, but I don't have one laying around to try.  I'll ask a few friends if they might be willing to donate one.