Author Topic: Handi vs TC  (Read 650 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Handi vs TC
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:43:08 AM »
Ok I have an Encore like it . have had several Contenders they were Ok also. I read alot of the post on the handi ( son has a handi in 17 HMR ) .
All that said how do ya'll compare the Handi to TC ?
I am not trying to start a roit just whats the strong points and weak points .
I realize in a wood stock the TC can break easy , The handi has lines that go back over 100 years and are graceful . What else ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
Re: Handi vs TC
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 10:54:29 AM »
You can get a Choate folder for and Encore and the rear sight works with a scope base mounted and you can get any caliber from custom shops. In all other ways I feel that the Handi is superior.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 10:57:34 AM »
How about strength ?

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »

if you mean the strength of the action I think you can find a lot of those JD Jones rounds in a TC that you won't find in a Handi. That being said every time I see a side by side test between the two the Handi comes out on top. At one time there was a side by side with the two, I think in .22 Hornet. In the end, dollar for dollar the Handi came out on top.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 02:55:33 PM »
I dont own a TC in the carbine, but I do have a contender G2 in the handgun, but the funtionality is the same as far as the frame goes.

I like the TC as far a the barrel catch goes, pretty handy but can snag on stuff, that I dont like, though the catch on the NEF is just as easy to use and I dont recall ever snagging it on anything, the hammers though are a diff story   ;)

strengthwise, the TC is most likely the stronger...

Handi has slimmer styling and a good amount of stock options if your willing to look.
the TC isnt as streamlined and stock options are pistol grip, or thumbhole pistol grip.

More barrel/caliber options with the TC, and more so with the custom barrel makers added in.

accuracy, its debatable in the stock barrels  from both factories mine have been good, some have had different experiences with each. obviously the custom barrels are expected to be far better than factory. (remember my barrels were for a pistol)

cost, for less than a new TC barrel, I can just go and buy the whole new handi rifle, or send it in (can be a pain at times from what ive heard) and get a barrel fitted for alot cheaper than a TC barrel, again optional chamberings are less.

Finish, gonna have to say the TC is better, in most cases that is. Handis are plain ol work horses, pretty means mo money!

Have never dealt with TC CS but before the buyout, HR/NEF was fantastic! now, well my experience is not so good, but not bad enough to keep me from getting more (not warranty issues, bought some extras/parts and they goofed it all up, Twice!)

Both are terribly addicting!!!!  ;D ;D

I prefer my handis, will not get a tc carbine/rifle, too costly for what I get out of it, and anything I need cartridge wise I can get from a Handi. That being said Ill never get rid of the pistol, but that is a different apple.

good luck with whatever decision your making, these are just my own opinions, Im sure some have a different take on it.

Dave

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:20:16 PM »
I don't own a TC. But for the cost of one TC I can have a with several different barrels for the same price.

snakeman

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 08:22:43 PM »
I see some misinfo or misleading statements in this thread, the Contender isn't stronger than an SB2 Handi frame, you won't find anyone that offers a 30-06, 308 Win, 270 Win or 500S&W barrel for the Contender, but all are factory chamberings for the Handi. The Encore on the other hand is a stronger frame, the SB1 H&R frame isn't as stout as the Contender frame.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline xsilver03x

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 11:55:24 PM »
I would say the weak side of the TC would be the price and the stong side of the Handi would be the price.  My old man has a TC in 223 and I have it in the Handi he says that my Handi will out shoot the TC any day of the week.  Not to bad for a gun that cost me just under 250 bucks, bet he paid more for the TC!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 02:51:59 AM »
thanks !

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 06:58:54 AM »

Sorry Tim, my bad. That was just an assumption on my part as far as the strength is concerned. I was trying to be positive about the TC. Personally I had a Contender a long time ago in .30-30 with the super 14 barrel. today if you were to offer me either one for the price of the Handi, I'd take the Handi.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 07:27:31 AM »
Rusty, it just depends on the which frame is being discussed, since this is the shotgun forum, in comparison to an SB1 shotgun frame, the Contender is the stronger frame, I just didn't want folks to be confused by the mixed nomenclature here.  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain