Author Topic: home made deer feeders  (Read 778 times)

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
home made deer feeders
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:02:31 PM »
anybody ever make home made feeder???? i've seen the ones with a 5 gallon bucket and a broom stick but i'm wanting somthing a little bigger , my deer lease is about 150 miles away and i only get out there about once a month.

i'm looking for somthing about 30 gal or more , any of you ever tried making your own???
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
Re: home made deer feeders
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 02:27:36 AM »
I made a gravity feeder out of spare PVC pipe a few years ago.  A 3' x 6" straight into a 6" x 4" Fernco reducer (it's what I had laying around) a short 4" straight into a 4" Tee.  The deer could get their muzzles into the Tee and eat.  Ratchet strapped it to a small tree about 3' off the ground and covered with a small bucket and a rock to hold that down.  Worked real well, held a little more than half a bag of corn and the coons had a hard time getting to it.  They'll eventually figure out a way, tho...they're pretty smart and persistant.  Before my 'puter crash, I had a trailcam  pic of one standing on another one's back raking the corn out!  Another one on the tree trying to reach into it.  I swear one had a small crescent wrench in it's hand on my spincaster :o
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:31:31 AM »
I have never bought a complete feeder but have built many from commercially available parts.  A bag of corn will last about a week to 10 days with one of these and the feeders can hold 5 -7 bags if they are made from 55 gallon drums and the feral hogs aren't involved...
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline theoldarcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 06:09:33 AM »
I had hunting property about 5 1/2 hours away from my residence and built a gravity feeder out of a 55 gallon heavy plastic barrel.  I cut a hole through the bottom and installed a toilet flange.  I necked down heavy pvc pipe until I got down to the size I wanted for enough 'flow' but not too much.  I think that was a 2" ID piece.  To that I glued on a 'T' and ran two small 'arms' off the short ends.  I put end caps on the short arms then cut small 'troughs' on the top side of each arm and drilled drain holes in the bottom of the arms.  I made a funnel for the inside of the barrel out of some aluminum sheet and pop rivets--that would feed the corn down the pipe as it was eaten out of the troughs below.  The whole rig went on a triangular support between three trees, and was secured there.  A larger piece of aluminum sheet formed a 'roof' over the locable barrel top.  This set up would hold enough shelled corn for about 5 or 6 weeks.  There was so much brouse that I don't think the supplements and corn were all that attractive, but I did find trails to the feeder when I went to the property.  I mounted the feeder next to my 'sanctuary' area and never hunted in that area, so the deer felt right at home.

Good luck, Arch