Author Topic: 30-06 crimps and mil.spec brass  (Read 758 times)

Offline cridertj

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
30-06 crimps and mil.spec brass
« on: June 13, 2009, 03:56:14 PM »
i am loading up some of my first 06 rounds and am using hornady btsp bullets my question is sence they have a crimp ring do these have to be crimped and if so how do yo tell if your crimp is good enough .also does  mil surplus brass load the same as factory brass or is there something special that needs to be done?

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: 30-06 crimps and mil.spec brass
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 05:15:35 PM »
I've never needed to crimp .30-06. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you have good neck tension the bullets shouldn't move.

The mil surp brass probably has crimped primer pockets so you'll need to ream or swage the crimp out before seating a new primer.  Beyond that, treat them the same as any other brass.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:29:07 AM »
I believe it depends on what type of firearm.  If I were loading for a semi-auto, I would crimp.  In addition if you work up to a max load with one brand of brass, it is important to start over with another.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline cridertj

• Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 03:42:58 AM »
i am shooting an encore so i am not to worryed about a crimp with it but i am also loading for some one else with a bolt and thought i might need the crimp. if i do crimp how do you tell if it is crimped enough?

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:03:23 AM »
Gerneraly accuracy is not improved with a crimp.  However, for whatever reason, rarely it is.  The only way to know is to apply a slight amount and shoot. 
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 06:34:35 AM »
i am shooting an encore so i am not to worryed about a crimp with it but i am also loading for some one else with a bolt and thought i might need the crimp. if i do crimp how do you tell if it is crimped enough?

Just a word of caution: Reloading for anyone else is a bad idea, from a liability standpoint. It is ESPECIALLY bad for someone just learning to reload.
There are some great references and links at the top of this reloading forum that you should study carefully before you go any further. Stay safe!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline cridertj

• Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:34:34 AM »
i understand your concern what we actuly do is is he reloads some for me and i do some for him. while i am new to rifle cartrages i have done my 44 mag for a couple of years now but the crimp on the 06 dosnt look the same to me.we dont shot the 06's verey much but with the cost of good ammo we are trying to get some good hunting loads and cut some cost as well

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 12:36:14 PM »
Wish you the best! May you never have a problem.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline wncchester

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »
"does  mil surplus brass load the same as factory brass or is there something special that needs to be done?"

GI brass IS factory brass, it's just slightly different from some common commercial types. 

There is some difference in the internal volumes between brands but that can easily vary by lots.  The only way to tell if the volume is different is to "measure it", and the best way to do that is to weigh an empty case, fill it with water and weigh it again.  Compare each brand as you wish and the lighter water weights will be the smallest internal volume. 

The volume differences won't be massive so changing brands of brass is not dangerous unless you are loading right on the ragged edge of safety.  Few of us do that but, to insure safety, most of us develop a load with a specific lot of components, including brand of case, and shoot that exact load until we want to try something else.  Then we start over, going back to a lower charge and only moving up, slowly, if no pressure signs are evident.  Following that one rule allows us to safely accomidate a LOT of component variations.

Don't over agonise the crimp thing.  It's not critical, especially for a bolt hunting rifle.  If you do it, make it look like a factory round.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 02:16:26 PM »
I started using a Lee factory crimp die on my bolt 30-06 and my accuracy improved markedly. I use Hornady bullets. I think my rifle has a long throat. Several of my loads improved but my best load did not. It allowed several other loads to to catch up. Lee reports it making your loads less sensitive to variables which matches my results.

Offline Cowboybart

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (50)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 04:37:55 PM »
Back off 1 or 2 grs if you are using military brass.  Like the guy 2 up said; there is less volume in military brass so you use less powder to get the same pressure.
Some is Good - More is Better - Too Much is Just Right

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 02:22:26 AM »
 I think you will have plenty of neck tension with your military brass without any special crimp. I say this because I've loaded some mil type 150 grn fmj bullets that can be a little loose in some 30 cal necks(300wsm) but are held securely with mil 30-06 cases. I think it has to do with thicker brass, at least in my cases & experience.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 03:05:45 AM »
I've loaded for several autoloaders including 308 Winchester and 30/06 Springfield and never had the need to crimp.  In fact, one of the first problems I had in reloading was when I tried to crimp 308 Winchester bullets.  The crimping operation deformed the necks just enough that none of the cartridges would chamber in my Remington 742 autoloader.

As noted above, you'll probably need 1 to 2 grains less powder with military brass than you will with the usual store bought brass.

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 03:20:59 PM »
I have been loading '06 ammo for a long time with several rifles and have never crimped any cartridge. I do test every rifle with every bullet I load in it for maximum OAL and start by seating about .025 off the ogive.
I keep all test dummy cartridges in zip-locs marked with all critical dimensions and my reloads are marked and segregated by rifle. I only shoot bolt actions or single shots in '06 though.

This may be overkill, but I don't shoot my rifles in high volume and I load for accuracy and reliable functioning.
This has worked for me for nearly 50 years and still works.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 07:00:13 AM »
You don’t need to crimp 30-06 Springfield brass for the Encore or a bolt gun.

If you choose to crimp make sure all case are at the exact length so every crimp is the same.

Since you reload for your friend, remember to keep cases separate from each others rifle.  I am also assuming you are working up loads from the minimum in order to find the most accurate for both firearms separately.  One load that’s safe in one may not be safe in the others.

yooper77