Author Topic: Rust preventors?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline coop2564

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Rust preventors?
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:24:31 AM »
Been thinking of getting a new handi in.223 found one for $187.00 or a Stevens 200 $287 for a camp gun which woud get a lot of abuse and neglect! Has anyone tried using ospho or other rust proofing agents on gun barrels? I know we use to use it offshore and it would keep the saltwater from rusting the piping for years! Dont know how it would work with the blueing on the barrels though.
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: Rust preventors?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:40:29 AM »

Is that a grease or a protective paint type coating?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 08:47:29 AM »
Brownell's has some spray on gun finishes that should work and look nice.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:22:27 AM »

Is that a grease or a protective paint type coating?
Its a liquid chemical that goes on like paint but isnt. Its clear when dry but makes the metal look kinda wet like you just wiped it down with oil.
Browning Illusion Bow
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:25:02 AM »
I was wondering what it was also . We get a wash like stuff light green in color that works like that for truck frames and tractor eguipment and such . dosen't stand uo to hard use .

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:32:43 AM »
For rust prevention i use this spray called Boeshield T-9 it is a spray on Wax made for the leading edges of air plane wings.
works well.  for inside the gun and out.
as far as outside the gun if the stuff you are refering to works then use it.
if not rustoleum paint will cover the gun.  i like my gunk as I can hose down the whole gun inside, outside and down the bore and everything is protected for long term storage.  If you are looking to keep the gun loaded in the barn or camp then give the t-9 a day to make sure it is dry and load her up.  best to run a mop through the bore afer the spray to ensure full coverage and a nice thin coat.
You can get the T-9 at your local boating store or airport shop.

Offline fish280

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:41:05 AM »
good ol' car wax works well on firearm exteriors. make sure the exterior is oil free, then apply like on a car, and buff.
His,
><>

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »
Eezox or Breakfree CLP, you can't do any better short of a permanent coating of some sort, a lot of the old standbys fail miserably in extended testing, some don't even provide good protection short term.  ;)

Tim

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:50:28 AM »
I have not tried Eezox, but I have used Breakfree CLP for a lot of years. Breakfree works. I have had it on guns that sat in the safe for years and they do not rust. It works real well on trigger guards and bolts too, where you get a lot of salts from handling them. I just put a thin coat on and let it dry for a few hours or over night and I am good to go to the safe with it or out hunting. If I am using the gun on a regular basis, I periodically wipe it back down to replace any that got wore off during use. If the gun is out in real wet conditions or once a year with guns I use on a regular basis, I tear the action down and dry it real well and give it another coat of CLP. A little goes a long ways. It is a cleaner too and will not freeze up the firing pin or safety, etc. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 11:56:15 AM »
The best thing about CLP over Eezox is availability, hardware stores and even supermarkets carry it! Eezox isn't easy to find, we used to have a shop here that stocked it, but it went the way of many mom and pop shops and is no longer there, so I order it online now where it is readily available from several retailers.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 12:05:22 PM »
i've never used it but the duracoat(two-part paint finish) is supposed to protect your gun from salt water....

Offline Bladeforger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
+1 on the Break Free CLP
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 03:27:04 PM »
+1 on the Break Free CLP
Of course nothing will stand up to total abuse--I've been able to rust stainless steel, especially here in Florida.  But I put some Break Free on the top of a steel table I made, about 18 x 30, that sits out sometimes for weeks at a time.  I painted the legs and put those feet that they make for scaffolding so I can use it for standing on at odd heights, for holding up one end of a temporary workbench, for leveling one end of about anything, and for welding and brazing which, due to workshop space limitations, gets done outside. 

Because of the welding and brazing functions, I opted to not paint the top.  I wire brushed part of the top and gave it a nice coat of Break Free to see what hopped.  It didn't rust again until it had been rained on and had the sun shine on it for about a month.  That convinced me that it was dang good stuff--even though I already knew that it was.

Keith

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
We use CLP in the Army. It works great.

snakeman

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 12:49:46 AM »
clenzoil works also on metal and wood along with leather .

Offline Chas.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 01:56:51 AM »
I'm a big believer in silicone.  I keep an old tube sock in a ziplock bag and I spray it down with silicone spray and wipe any gun down I've handled before putting away.  I also spray the inside of my gun cases with it.  Has worked well for me for over 40 years.

Offline ol bumpy

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 09:38:53 AM »
i've never used it but the duracoat(two-part paint finish) is supposed to protect your gun from salt water....

Duracoat is fantastic....I've coated several of my guns with it, and rust is a thing of the past.

Cleaned my Handi REALLY well when hunting season ended last year, and put it away....Checked on it and several other guns the other night, and the Handi had a few light rust spots on the barrel. Went ahead and ordered some Duracoat for it that night. Hope to get it sprayed this weekend.
HITMAN Turkey Calls

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 11:43:36 AM »
Any thoughts on Barricade by the Gun Scrubber people?

Offline vabowhntr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 04:46:37 AM »
If you are looking for cheap and easy, and want to coat it, I have had good luck with Rustoleum Automotive primer in grey.  It is very matte when applied and can be left that way, although I have found that after it dries for a few weeks I can lightly rub it with 0000 steel wool and the resulting finish looks a lot like gun blue.  I have a couple of old guns that were damaged in huricane andrew 20 years ago and they now look almost new.  It isn't perfect, as it will not protect it if you ding your gun against metal, but the nice thing is, for a couple of bucks you can recoat it and it looks new.  The main thing, as with all painting is to make sure you degrease the metal you want to coat.  Then let it dry for a couple of weeks before you touch it again.  I would think that an application of heat (150* or so) would help as well.

Duracoat and Alumahyde are probably better, but for beater guns this is cheap and easy to obtain at any mart or depot.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 05:34:50 AM »
I'll second the wax. I use standard paste floor wax, or, on a blued gun, black Kiwi boot polish. Run it on, let it haze, and rub it off. Cheap, easy, and lasts a surprisingly long time. Plus, I have it on hand all the time, a side effect of wearing a uniform.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 05:47:31 AM »
I keep an old tube sock in a ziplock bag and I spray it down with silicone spray and wipe any gun down I've handled before putting away.

Although I'm a CLP or Eezox type (my local dealer stocks both) when a major cleaning or coating is underway, I also like the silicone products for in between times. I use the Hoppe's Gun and Reel Silicone cloths. I keep one handy to rub the entire rifle down after it has been handled.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 05:49:17 AM »
Rustolium Textured paint.  Works well, cheap, easy to use, and enough left over for future touch-ups.

Painted my 30-06 about four years ago.  Last month it got left in the bed of my pickup.  Buried under gear, then rode 300 miles down the Haul Road on the bottom, under metal frames and heavy items.  Now it needs a touch-up.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 10:02:44 AM »
Thanks, gonna try the Breakfree CLP 1st now got to decide on gun!
Browning Illusion Bow

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 10:26:01 AM »
I used the Rustoleum textured paint in dark green to paint the stock and forearm on my Pardner 20ga. I used several coats on it and let it dry for about a week. When I showed it to my friends they aked me where I bought the stock set at. They didn't believe me that I had done it. When they finally believed me I ended up doing a set of stocks for them.

snakeman

Offline Fairshake

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 03:09:20 PM »
John Boy did a saltwater test with a lot of the old standby's and I think clp was one of them. Look on open range or tyhe cast boolits forums. Over a month and no rust after being hit with salt spray on the beach. I have been a Eezox user ever since. Midway sells it for one I'm sure they have others.
Shooter of the Holy Black  NRA  CAS BOLD  WARTHOG  Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante  So that He Shall Never Be With Those Cold And Timid Souls Who Neither Know Victory Nor Defeat