Author Topic: blackpowder help  (Read 1125 times)

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
blackpowder help
« on: June 18, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
been wanting to get back into shooting my cap and ball revolver again so i went out and found some roundballs but the problem is powder i went to 3 seperate place and nobody carries regular blackpowder any more but i did find some triple 7, jim shokley gold, and goex clear shot(all of this was in fffg). The only other thing ive used besides blackpowder is pyrodex and i couldnt find any in fffg. Now heres the question which one would be best i know that triple 7 is supposed to be loaded 20% below the blackpowder charge but i dont know about the other ones im mostly going to be plinking and possibly hunting small game with it this fall. also why cant i find blackpowder anymore? it used to everywhere. one of the stores i went to didnt even know what i was asking for. thanks for the help
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: blackpowder help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 06:52:47 PM »
Hodgdon has C&B Pyrodex and 3f T7 data on their website.  ;)

Tim

http://hodgdon.com/ml-warning.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:10:42 PM »
so it sounds like triple 7 is out since it said to use with a 209 primers.
 edit just checked around i was wrong seems its ok

Offline darkwoelf

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:40:25 AM »
most of the major places around here (bass pro,cabelas,etc.) can get it although you have to go through the hassle of ftalking to the higherups/mgrs and they can order it for you may want to call them up and try that also if you have any mom and pop reloading shops try them we have like 4 of those around and although they usually dont carry it one phone call and ill have it within the week

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 08:37:07 AM »
kinda dont want to go through that everytime i need powder i think ill just try triple 7 seems that jim shockley gold is preety much 50/50 love hate

Offline STexhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 09:07:39 AM »
Have the same problem.  Only alternative was to order.  I used www.grafs.com and found black powder.  I used their brand and found it good to go. They also had Goex. Of course the haz mat fee kinda eats you up so order a quanity.  Got it in a week from order date.  Grafs is good to deal with. 

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:47:52 AM »
I got a bottle of trip7 three years ago to try in my perc guns and never quite got to it yet.  Always forget I have it and grab the black.

With a cap and ball revolver, the powder is right under the nipple flash hole.   A perc cap will set it off just fine.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 04:52:57 AM »
kinda dont want to go through that everytime i need powder i think ill just try triple 7 seems that jim shockley gold is preety much 50/50 love hate

I had the same feeling as you sachel, but couldn't get over the desire to try the real thing.   Finally; I broke down and ordered a 5 pound assortment of Black Powder (from Powder Inc.) which was delivered right to my door.   I don't shoot all that much ,  but Now I can go out and enjoy a little entertainment with the various powders and have a better attitude when it comes to cleaning them dirty ole revolvers.
4B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 06:56:32 AM »
I tried T7 just once and got a five inch group from a pistol which goes 1 1/2" with Goex 3f or Pyrodex. It's also very prone to misfires and hangfires. Black is the cheapest powder and if you buy at least five pounds with the hazmat fee it will still be cheaper than most of the substitutes. Grafs is a good source. I've also gotten very good accuracy with Pyrodex RS, although it says it is for rifle and shotgun it works just fine in revolvers too. Most of the substitute powders other than Pyrodex have a limited shelf life once opened. They draw moisture, clump up and loose power with age. Black powder is the real deal, the substitutes are, well, just substitutes. Firearms would never have developed if blackpowder had not come first.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »
3f Triple 7 bottles show loads for Ruger Old Army revolvers.

yooper77

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 08:24:03 AM »
Figure out who has it and plan your errands and trips o accomodate a purchase.  I find myself in the area of a shop that carries black every four or five years, so when there, I load up.