Author Topic: Mannlicher forearms  (Read 1037 times)

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Mannlicher forearms
« on: June 19, 2009, 09:26:33 AM »
  What is the size and type of forearm mount bolt for a Mannlicher forearm? The outside view of the bolt hole shows a 7/16" wide head with a very steep taper for ~ .125" followed by a 3/8" cylindrical hole for the next ~ 1/2". That hole opens into a .200" deep slot that was milled by a 1/2" cutter for an overall distance of .920" and centered on the original bolt hole. I can't find any reference to this bolt in the FAQs and can't recall any mention of it in this forum.  The slide-onband has a tiny set screw set in the bottom edge to retain it in place. What are your beliefs as to where the band should be located? Is this band a useful device or just decorative? Can It be replaced by a muzzel band ?  Might either of those band types cause accuracy problems ? Thanks for any help,    ken

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Mannlicher forearms
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:12:09 AM »
There are only two sizes forend flathead machine screws, ¼"-20 for 1987-current and even those made before H&R went bankrupt, and ¼"-28 for older models, both are listed in the FAQs. I shot mine with and without the band, without was better, but that depends on if you can replace it identically the same time each time the forend is removed, so I never used it, it does look better with it tho, but if it doesn't shoot well with it, what's the point!!  :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 02:55:39 PM »
Kody, I would not really call that forearm a Mannlicher stock as it really is not a full length forearm . Now I could be wrong and you can call it whatever you want as I'm not trying to be a stickler here as to whether it's 1/4" from end of the bbl or exactly full length .I just think you may get into some confusion but then maybe it's me who is causing confusion . But I think most all the ones you are refering to came on MLoaders that had the bbl band . I know the Mannlicher that was original on my model 157 did not have the bbl band but came to the end of the bbl and had a end cap on it. It did not do anything but be decorative. I have 5 other long forearms that were all on ML with the bbl band but no end cap and have always heard them refered to as carbine or bbl band forearms. Is the one you have full length with a bbl band? I have never seen a steel bbl band for the H&R's but I thought I had heard they may of been availible at one time. I have a brass one that I made out of a modified 3 band enfield or a springfield it was just a little big so I split it in half then filed and formed it down to make it fit then brazed it back together and polished it works very well . I have been looking at some brass end caps to modify but just have not pulled the trigger yet on ordering one I think i got the band from Dixie But Track of The Wolf has them also. The ML barrel band forearms use the same screws as the others do but the Mannlicher forearm that is on my Model 157 the screw hole is set in a differant position as is the welded on lug so the forearm won't fit modern bbl's with out some modification and the modern forearms won't fit the bbl either.I guess a ? that I have is did H&R or are there aftermarket Mannlicher forearms that have a bbl band ??  Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline kody

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 06:44:07 AM »
 I never had one before,but REALLY liked their looks. It's funny how much more attention to a lot of little details you pay when you finally get hold of one and all of the questions that pop up. Pictures that inluenced my purchase are looked at again and I see that the very forward ends are different,the caps being the cause.The presence or absence of the band and the reason for its removal are now significant. As far as the use of the standard flat-head screw ,mine requires one at least 1/8 -3/16 longer the engage enough threads. Thank all of you for your input ,it's hard to anticipate and deal with things you've never experienced. I will be adding a cap to the casting project, but that brings up another question. Quick mentioned the use of. or removal of a band,based on accuracy results. Any feedback on the effects on accuracy from caps?. Can they be mounted to just clear the barrel, still look great ,and not hurt accuracy?   Thanks again,    Ken

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:02:35 AM »
As with any forend, just depends on the rifle, but pillar bedded or floated with a pressure point at the tip of the forend would be best, shoot it and do what necessary to achieve accuracy. Since the mannlicher forend has more surface contact on the barrel, it's more susceptible to cause problems, adding the cap just adds another variable, but would be an excellent place to build in a pressure point too.  ;)

FWIW, I sanded the channel out on mine so it wasn't touching except at the spacer and stud, then added a pressure point a couple inches from the tip(FAQs), barrel band was removed to finally achieve good accuracy.

Tim

Offline kody

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 12:08:14 PM »
 YEH QUICK, I think it was your bandless Mannlicher that started my mouth watering. I wonder how much the selling/trading  traffic would diminish if there were no pics published--- it's just fuel for the fires.   Thanks guys, I'm pretty well set up for now and it's time to expand my thoughts some more . Just promise not to tell the war department will you?    Ken

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 12:09:50 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D