Author Topic: 6.5 rem. mag  (Read 735 times)

Offline RWK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
6.5 rem. mag
« on: June 19, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »
Can i do a 6.5 rem mag on a sb2 frame. Rich

Offline mitch132

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 6.5 rem. mag
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 12:13:19 PM »
NO! The only magnums I would recommend would be of the .22, .32 H&R, .357, and .44 variety.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 12:18:58 PM »
And the 500S&W.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 04:34:40 PM »
Why?  The 6.5 Rem Mag won't do anything the .270 won't do better.  The 6.5 is listed as an obsolete cartridge.  That means when the existing supplies of ammo is gone there won't be any more.  So why build something you won't be able to feed down the road.

I have two .350 Rem Mags.  I currently have lots of ammo for them and I reload.  But someday my son, or someone else, will either have to turn them into wall hangers or rebarrel them.  Same thing for all the 6.5 Rem Mags.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 06:12:42 AM »
I have two .350 Rem Mags.  I currently have lots of ammo for them and I reload.  But someday my son, or someone else, will either have to turn them into wall hangers or rebarrel them.  Same thing for all the 6.5 Rem Mags.

If you reload, why would you have to turn them into wall hangers? You can still form brass from pretty much any available belted magnum brass. While the 6.5 is not a Handi compatible cartridge, it is intriguing, and I am currently working on a rebarrel Savage project in 6.5 Rem mag. Many obsolete cartridges are loaded by lots of shooters. I guess it's all in how much work you want to put in to shooting it. Billy

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 10:33:49 AM »
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:07:04 AM »
Midway actually has the brass in stock, unlike Huntingtons most of the times I've checked with them, they actually did have Wby 338-06 A-Sqaure brass in stock.....once.   :-\

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=1601110222
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 12:29:24 PM »
A 6.5x284 or 6.5-06 will give you within 150 fps or so the same velocity and both should be do able easily in the NEFs.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »
My brother the 6.5 Anything addict stopped at Huntington’s in Oroville this last winter and picked up one hundred, 6.5 Remington Mag cases.  His is built on a Mark X action.  It occupies space next to the 256 Newton, and the 6.5-284.

For some reason the 6.5 Remington Magnum has been of interest.  I believe part of the reason is that it closely matches the .270 Winchester.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Just my @ Cents worth. Used to own a Model 600 Rem 6.5 Mag.
 It was a odd looking creature for its time (1966) Laminated Stock, funky dog legged bolt, Vent rib, short barrel ,truly not your Dad's Model 70 270 or Uncle's new fangled 700 rem in 30-06 .
 What it really was ..........  Ahead of its time!!!!!!!!!
 That ugly stock had straight line recoil necessary for the potent 6.5 Mag .Plus it held a zero second to none
 Excellent trigger adjusted to 4 lbs from the factory
 Rock solid action.
 Accuracy beyond belief across a very large selection of bullets (from 80 grs. to 160)
 Case life is forever I guess, I am still using some of the original  brass from 1966. (Unfortunately in another rifle)
 A pleasure to carry in the Mountains (7 lbs with scope & loaded)
 But best of all enough power to drop anything from mice to moose!
  By all means don't count the old beast out . Build one up any and  enjoy a truly all purpose cartridge.
 It and the 350 were the forerunners of  the "new short mags of today"
 If only I had the chance to buy another one for the same price ($89.00)While it may or may not be a good choice for a Handi it deffinately is a good choice for an all around rifle.
  Is it better (or worse) than a 270, 280, 25-06,30-06 etc?
 That my friends are what campfires,friends and good sipping whiskey are for.
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline mitch132

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »
I'm sure it is a fine cartridge, but 65,000 psi with a .532" case head is a huge leap into the unknown and uncharted limits of a SB2 receiver. If you really want this cartridge, I would highly recommend choosing a different action to build it on. Not worth the risk to save maybe $100.