Author Topic: IDPA  (Read 881 times)

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
IDPA
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:21:39 AM »
Does anybody here participate in these events? I was checking out heir website & it sounds like fun.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: IDPA
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 04:22:00 AM »
I don't even have a clue as to what it is. :o Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline j104wd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:59:48 AM »
I have gone and shot a couple. Great fun and excellent practice for real world scenarios. only problem I have is the matches always fall on my hunt clubs workdays. I think eveyone that carrys should go shoot at these events.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »
Here ya go Dale.
www.idpa.com

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 02:16:53 PM »
Oh yeah! Do at least two a month. Also do the Steel Challenge, NRA falling plates. Did a local USPSA match this month already as well. If you love to shoot, and would like to shoot under a little pressure, jump in! It's about as much fun as you can have shooting! Going to a range and banging away at a paper target for a couple hundred rounds is boring.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 01:17:07 AM »
Alright, I'm in.  As soon as my reloading stuff  gets in and I have a chance to try a few out I'll definately go for it. 
How picky are they about bullet speed?  Do they chrono every event, or just the big ones?

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 01:52:35 AM »
Local club matches are generally pretty casual. A sanctioned match will always have a chronograph stage. It's pretty easy to make PF with most normal loadings in 9mm/.38 and above. Power Factor is calculated:
Velocity x Bullet weight 
---------------------
Just show up at your local club with your unloaded weapon in a good strongside holster, and at LEAST 3 magazines or speed loaders, with the approporate pouches, along with ear/eye protection, ready to have FUN!!! Let them know that you are a first time shooter. They'll brief you on what you need to know, and have you sign a waiver of liability. It's a good idea to go to the IDPA web site and learn the range commands and basic rules before hand. I haven't seen anyone who likes to shoot, fail to have a great time.
Enjoy,
Savage 

Offline obiwankabaldi

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 03:22:07 AM »
Did my first one yesterday. Really great. I am a Nam vet but have not doen formal training in 40 years. This is real life practice. Really sharpens your skills. I will be doing more, one per month here and looking forward to it....

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 04:42:15 AM »
obi,
Glad you got to join in the fun! Just remember it's a game, it does help improve gun handling skills under time pressure tho. Welcome aboard!
Savage

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 08:33:43 AM »
I'm actually planning on going to one tuesday to spectate and gather info.  I guess I'll have to buy some spped loaders as well.

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 09:12:17 AM »
GH1,
Take as much gear and ammo as you have, along with your weapon. Frequently the regulars will loan you the rest of what you need to shoot the match.  Most all of us carry extra stuff, usually an extra gun and accessories to equip a first time shooter that just came to watch. Shooters are generally good people.
Savage

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 12:04:19 AM »
Well, last night I participated in my first IDPA event, what a riot!  The courses were challenging but not to the point of being undoable.  More importantly, my fellow shooters were friendly and very supportive, offering tips & encouragement the entire evening.  I encourage everyone to try their hand at one of these events, it's a damned good time.

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 02:03:05 AM »
If you like to shoot, you'll love action pistol sports. There are lots of fun games out there that will help improve your gun handling/shooting skills. IDPA/USPSA/NRA Falling Plates/Speed Steel/Steel Challenge/Bowling Pins/Stake Shoots, and probably more that I'm not familiar with. I would encourage shooters to search their area for clubs to shoot with. Then join and support those clubs! There are two excellent clubs within 50 miles of my home. I belong to, and support both. A small membership fee, and a couple of workdays a year is a small price to pay to help grow our sport.
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 02:23:17 AM »
If you like it try a 3 gun match !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 02:45:00 AM »
If you like it try a 3 gun match !

Oh yeah! Great fun too. Only thing is, the 3 gun is an equipment heavy game. To get setup properly requires a substantial investment in equipment for most. Most shooters already own everything they need to have fun in the action pistol games. Before the ammo crunch, a newbie showed up at a 3 gun and was given an opportunity to play using borrowed guns, gear and extra ammo. Now with the cost of ammo and components, it's not so common. Of course, everyone should already own a good fighting rifle and shotgun!!
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 04:49:55 AM »
last one i shot i shot  a used  Glock $385.00, old used 870 $125 ( prison trade in beat to death but shoots good ) and a 30 cal. carbine i paid $ 150.00 for . $660.00 total , my Glock 10mm w/nite sights cost almost that much . . Now i didn't impress anyone with my EQ. but i did place near the top .

Offline Savage

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 08:24:32 AM »
Good for you shootall! No doubt there are bargains out there, just pretty hard to come by these days. Even an extra $600 can be a lot for someone just starting out. That's why I recommend IDPA for newbies, most already have enough gear to get started.
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 08:33:55 AM »
Savage that's why it was started in the first place keep cost down and provide a place to test/improve skills ! like i said if you like IDPA try the local 3 gun matches they are alot of fun also ! Didn't say they had to dump the family jewels to play ! He-- at our matches they could borrow a gun or guns !