Author Topic: Folding .410  (Read 983 times)

Offline 1911bmw

• Trade Count: (5)
Folding .410
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:20:21 AM »
A friend of mine bought an early H&R .410 shotgun minus forend and asked if I knew anything about it.  I told him I didn't but I probably knew some people who did.  This is where you guys come in.  It is an old shotgun.  Chambered in .410 2-1/2 chamber.  The gun folds completely when you break it down.  He mostly would like to know where to get a forearm but any info would be appreciated.  I told him to try numrich but maybe you guys know somewhere else.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
Re: Folding .410
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 12:29:17 PM »
it says H&R??  sounds like what we called a poachers gun  when I live in the UK. in fact I owned one when I lived there
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 02:24:58 PM »

I've never seen an H&R like that but I still have the stock portion of an old 12 ga, I bought once The stock folded up underneath with a push button to release the stock. IIRC mine was made in Brazil. It had a black painted krinkle finish to it and the first time I shot it the pot metal pistol grip section behind the frame cracked. I took it back to the Army Navy store where I got it and they gave me another one, no questions asked.

What kind of finish does your friend's have?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline 32 Magnum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 03:13:06 PM »
H&R produced their FOLDING model shotgun from circa 1926 to WW2.  This model was made in LARGE FRAME and SMALL FRAME sizes.  .410 bore was offered in both frame sizes.  It appears from the serial numbers that I've seen, that more than 20,000 of these were made.  There were two distinct variations - up to around 1930 they were equipped with an extractor (hull was removed by fingers) and the second variation from 1931 on was equipped with an ejector (hull was automatically extracted and sent flying).  I have a large frame in 12 ga - 2nd Var. and a small frame in .410 - 1st Variation.  They are actually pretty nicely made shotguns.
As to availability of forestocks - the forestock, obviously, will be specific to the size of the frame - all had a recess milled in that would allow the trigger guard to set in when the piece was folded.  I've not seen any of these offered for sale during the many years I've been collecting H&R firearms and parts.  HOWEVER, contact Numrich at:  www.e-gunparts.com and either e-mail or (preferably) call one of their sales techs and enquire whether they have what you need (of course you'll need to determin whether yours is a large or small frame, variation doesn't matter).  Numrich bought out the remaining parts from H&R Arms Co. when they closed up shop in Jan 1986.  Good luck.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 01:43:36 AM »
Other than looking at the occasional one on gunbroker and thinking it's nifty I don't know anything about them, but from what I remember the fore end looked like one for a youth model or a versa pac.Maybe you could adapt one of those.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun