Author Topic: Perfect elk rifle  (Read 7175 times)

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
Re: Perfect elk rifle
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 10:14:40 PM »
Thanks go to my Dad for the woodwork - it's a piece of Cherry finished in French Red.  Bill Morrison, gunsmith, Bangor/Bradford, Maine did the bolt turning, safety, and scope mount drilling & tapping.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2009, 03:08:16 AM »
I bought the base for my "perfect elk rifle" some two or three years back but just haven't had the money or inclination so far to make the transistion yet. As it came from Remington it is a M700 LSS with the gray laminated stock I like so well on my guns. Recoil pad is that big thick soft one that works so well in soaking up recoil. Metal is bead blasted stainless. It is chambered to .30-06. My plan was to turn it into a 9,3x62 or maybe even a .35 Whelen and call it for me at least the perfect elk or moose rifle.

Since it's highly unlikely I'll ever get to take an elk or moose I guess I don't have a real burning need for such a rifle and the old .30-06 isn't a bad choice for them anyway using Nosler 200 grain AB or PT bullets. So should I get a chance to go before the rifle is rebored/rechambered or rebarrelled I reckon I'm still well enough equipped even if it's not my idea of a "perfect elk rifle".

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2009, 01:16:37 PM »
I have both a 35 Whelan AI and the little brother to the 9.3X62,the 9.3X57. Have taken elk with the 35. It worked like Thor's hammer.Even tho I have a 375 H&H, I really have no need to. There is a reason the Swedes still use the 9.3,it works extremely well.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »
There is a reason the Swedes still use the 9.3,it works extremely well.

So true Mauser. Those Swedes and Norwegians are smart little cookies. Same goes for the 6.5 X 55 SE.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 08:55:02 AM »
I use a 3030 in a 51 year old Model 94 Winchester that I have been using for.. Well, 51 years on everything.

How many elk have you killed with it?
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »
OH-OH Here we go! :D

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 02:26:39 PM »
Well, I did kill one cow elk with my 94Win 32Spl, but that don't make it the perfect elk rifle; just means it worked for me, on that occasion. Oh, yeah, with a "premium" cast bullet! (Wheelweights and a gas check) !LOL!!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline Dee

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 02:38:07 PM »
I use a 3030 in a 51 year old Model 94 Winchester that I have been using for.. Well, 51 years on everything.

I haven't killed any elk with it, but a friend in Colorado kills one almost every year with his. Haven't hunted elk in quite a few years now, but if I get the chance to go again, it is what I will use.
How many have you killed and with what?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 05:45:04 AM »

I haven't killed any elk with it, but a friend in Colorado kills one almost every year with his. Haven't hunted elk in quite a few years now, but if I get the chance to go again, it is what I will use.
How many have you killed and with what?

Stay calm
i have killed 3 cows and one bull with a 30-06
could have killed more if i had a big mag of some kind. ;D ::)
Rex

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 05:49:45 AM »
OH-OH Here we go! :D

nah
we know each other.
Rex

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
I've killed elk with a 30-06, 7x57, 300 WSM, .264 Win Mag, 35 Whelen, and most recently a 375 Ruger.  So what's the perfect elk rifle?  Whatever i'm packing when those cream colored rumps materialize in the timber.  All but two of the sixteen or so elk I've killed dropped in there tracks.  The other two were less than perfect shots, I claim all responsibility.  In fact, it is my personal opinion that if a hunter does his part, elk die easier than a whitetail buck.
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline red alder ranch

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 07:35:13 PM »
I'm hoping that my perfect elk rifle will be the Mauser 98/9.3x62 I'm currently building. I was originally planning on making it a .35 Whelen, but I got a very good deal on a 9.3x62 barrel, much cheaper than the equivalent Whelen barrel was going to cost, so I decided to go metric.

Not that I really needed to build a whole new rifle. I'm sure that under the right circumstances, my 8mm Mauser, or even the .35 Remington would take an elk. But it's always easy to rationalize a new rifle, especially when I didn't have one that had "elk" written all over it.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 04:53:57 AM »
No flies on the good old 8X57, especially when handloaded with 196 grain and heavier slugs.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »
I have both a 35 Whelan AI and the little brother to the 9.3X62,the 9.3X57. Have taken elk with the 35. It worked like Thor's hammer.Even tho I have a 375 H&H, I really have no need to. There is a reason the Swedes still use the 9.3,it works extremely well.
I hope this isn't a stupid question mauser98us, but how do you like your 35 Whelan AI?  Have you ever dealt with a 338-06 and which did you prefer?  Also, you got any pics?  I'm asking all this because I have a 30-06 I want to have rebarreled to another 30-06 based cartridge, and am still undecided.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2010, 06:10:10 AM »
Nothing any better than a 200gr Nosler Partition and a case full of BallC2 in the 8x57 - not to get started.

Just found the 'smith to put my 35Whelen pieces together. Won't be too long now!

Total "I want" on this project. Looking through my cabinet, there are at least a dozen rifles capable of cleanly taking an Elk, within their/my limitations.

Think I got it figured, at least for me. The Perfect Elk Rifle is the one I'm holding at the time said quarry comes into range.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2010, 04:40:48 PM »
I hope this isn't a stupid question mauser98us, but how do you like your 35 Whelan AI?  Have you ever dealt with a 338-06 and which did you prefer?  Also, you got any pics?  I'm asking all this because I have a 30-06 I want to have rebarreled to another 30-06 based cartridge, and am still undecided.  Thanks in advance for any info.
I think if one goes to the trouble to make a Whelan,one might as well do the improved version. In reality,it probably does not beat the standard by that much. It does have a certain cool factor,plus the cases don't stretch.Iv'e taken all kinds of critters big and small and have not been disappointed.As to the 338-06 , Iv'e shot a few,never owned one. This round has it's own merits as well. I'll send you a pic when I can.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2010, 12:15:38 AM »
mauser98us,
Thanks for the info,  yeah the AI version definately isn't so common.  I've also tossed the idea around of a 9.3x62.  Those big 286 gr bullets don't go very fast, but man I'll bet they hit hard.  As far as the 338-06, everything I've read indicates with everything being equal that the 338-06 will shoot a 250 gr faster than the standard Whelen.  Decisions, decisions, decisions

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2010, 09:27:17 AM »
"As far as the 338-06, everything I've read indicates with everything being equal that the 338-06 will shoot a 250 gr faster than the standard Whelen."

Probably depend a bit on what is being read. Laws of physics say not likely. Same case capacity, same weight bullet, same pressure, higher expansion ratio in the larger caliber yields higher velocity.

However, I doubt very much if the shooter or the shootee would know the difference. Dead will be dead.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 05:16:46 PM »
If I had it all over to do again, I probably would have went with the 9.3X62 instead of the Whelan. Heck I might just get one anyway.

Offline Win 1917

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2010, 04:51:48 PM »
Anybody know the lighest action that will handle a 338WM?  Ruger No 1?

A T/C Encore is probably the lightest amongst standard off the shelf guns. There are probably some custom guns out there that are lighter though.

Offline big_bore

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »
My first choice for the ideal elk rifle is the .340 Weatherby with 225gr. Barnes TSX bullets with a 200yd zero, as long as you can shoot 3 to 4 inch groups at 300 yards (shot placement is key on big game like elk).

I had a nice one-shot kill on a 5x6 Colorado elk with my .340 Weatherby from about 250 yards.  The elk was able to get 92 of my walking paces from the site of impact.  When we field dressed it, there were no lungs remaining, just puree where they should have been.  Elk do not go down or die easily...

I would have no problems taking my .300 Weatherby after elk (second choice) and my .375H&H would be a distant third choice.

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »
I would either pick my Win m70 338 win mag or my Win m70 375 H&H.

The 338 has a Nikon monarch 3.5-10x50 on it, from day 1, and I shoot the 225 partitions over a max charge of IMR 4350. I have killed more elk with this rifle than any other. It kills like the fist of God. I have never had one take a single step after 1 shot. Most were standing or walking when hit, one was running full tilt when hit. All have gone down like the very ground they stood on was ripped out from under them. The longest shot was just over 300 yards. Most were less than 200 yards.

The 375 currently wears a Nikon monarch 1.5-4.5 on it. I'm seriously considering a larger scope for this one, say a 2-7x to get a bit more distance out of it (eyes are getting older). I have shot the 300 gr partitions with IMR 4350 from this one. Currently, I'm playing with the 300 gr Sierra's and the 270 Hornady interbonds in this one. I have only shot one cow elk with this rifle, with the partition load, and the result was exactly the same as the 6 cows I've shot with the 338. I did also anchor one of my brother's cows with it, after he hit it badly with his -06. It came hobbling over the rise and I center punched it in the chest from less than 100 yards to put her down. Not blaming the -06, but the bad hit my brother made on that one.

Mostly I go with the 338, as it's a bit lighter in weight and easier to carry in rough country for extended periods.

I have taken 1 bull with a 30-06, and been with several of my hunting buddies that have shot 270, 308 (my dad), and 30-06's (my brother). They all work if proper shot placement, but there's just no comparison to the reaction to the shot of a 338 or larger. I also like to line up my shot so that I can knock out at least one of the front shoulders, both if it lines up that way. It's comforting to have the power and penetration to reach the vitals on an elk from any shot angle that can be presented to you. Adds to the flexibility of the shot.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2010, 01:16:41 AM »
I have 2 perfect elk rifles to choose from this year.  First, is my 358 Norma mag, I recently worked up a very accurate load with 225 nosler Accubonds cruising a long at 2950 fps.  I think that would handle an elk just fine. And second is my 338-06 AI i had built this year.  I'm shooting 200 gr Hornady's at 2900+ fps.  Either of these two rifles oughtta handle an ole wapiti just fine.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2010, 10:21:23 AM »
 ;) bigswede, From what I have seen of northern Idaho, and read in your posts about elk hunting in that region..the elk are hunted in big dark timber...After seeing that country, I could easily understand why Elmer liked big bores for elk..not only is that country thick, but the hunting is tough..I would guess most of your shots at elk are less than 125 yards...that is the kind of country the elk used to live in here..I hated hunting that dark, black timber..I like open country and the sky...lucky for me, the elk here have expanded their range until they now inhabit some fairly open to very open country.  Here a long shot to 400 plus is often the case, but still most are shot at less than 200...the big problem in open country is getting the range down quickly enough and still be able to take a shot...my girl friends grandson, missed a good chance at about 300 yards last week.. I think maybe he got a little buck fever...next day I put up 3 liter jugs at 200 and 300 yards. He got the two  at 200 with two shots..at three hundred, he shot three times  two to the left, one to the right and the fourth dead center..any would have killed an elk..he had  about the same rest as when he shot at the elk..he is only fourteen and hasn,t taken any big game..and really hasn't done much shooting..so for his experience, he did a fine job, at least there was not cripple..good hunting when the season opens..Ours in this unit will kick off the 15th of Oct..I really prefer deer hunting to antelope, but since I have an excellent spot to go, I will keep at it for a while...let us know how those new rifles work..will you use them on deer??????

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2010, 10:34:21 AM »
Wyoming coyote hunter,
Yes, there is alot of dark timber country, but we live right in the middle of logging country where there are a lot of clear cuts.  so shots can be any where from 20-350 yds.  And yes, I will use them on deer also.  Along with my 350 rem mag.  Eat right to the hole ;D

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2010, 11:46:56 AM »
 :o bigswede, thanks for the reply..one more item..I assume that is Nat. Forest near your area...are they still logging on it????  the tree huggers got all logging shut down here in the local mountain ranges...now most of the trees are dead from beetles..but the forest service has made up some song and dance to feed to the tourists why all the dead trees..NEVER ONCE do the guttless scum mention in the phamplet that it is due to the ecofreaks antilogging moves...if you are still logging NF, great..it sure is what the forests need..

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2010, 04:48:11 PM »
Had big time bark beetle infestations here in Az a few years back. Sure provided some nice fuels for the fires. You sure have to admire the PC of the forest service. Now they are trying to close down all the roads. I'm sure this is in all forest service lands,not just Az.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2010, 01:06:07 AM »
:o bigswede, thanks for the reply..one more item..I assume that is Nat. Forest near your area...are they still logging on it????  the tree huggers got all logging shut down here in the local mountain ranges...now most of the trees are dead from beetles..but the forest service has made up some song and dance to feed to the tourists why all the dead trees..NEVER ONCE do the guttless scum mention in the phamplet that it is due to the ecofreaks antilogging moves...if you are still logging NF, great..it sure is what the forests need..

No, sad to say all FOREST CIRCUS land is closed to logging, and a lot of it is closed off to all motorized vehicles.  There is a lot of corporate timberland around here that is open to the public, for now.  We have it really good at the time, for the amount of land that is publicly accessible.  I think it is only a matter of time before it gets closed to motor vehicles and access fees are started. 

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2010, 01:14:10 AM »
I wish the "ecofeaks" as you put it would realize that a forest is a renewable resource.  The only difference between it and other crops is the longer amount of time it takes to reach harvest.  All of the area you drove thru in Idaho has all been logged at some point in the last century, and yet there are still large tracts of mature thick timber.  I guess this is getting off track of elk rifles.  So, i'll close my rant with this.
My wife is going to carry her stainless Model Seven in 7mm-08 loaded with 162 gr Hornady BTSP and topped with a Leupold 2-7.  This should be good elk medicine out to a couple hundred yards.  She is saving her 300wsm for chasing rutting whitetails.  Yes its true, the smaller rifle for the bigger animal, well as far as I have ever seen elk die a lot easier than a big adrenaline charged buck. The end.

Offline mrussel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »
No such thing, but the quest to find it... that is why gun cabinets have so many slots. If you do find it, please do not let my wife know. I have her convinced I am a poor judge of rifles and their capabilities.

Tikka in 300 winny, Marlin 1895 45/70, Model 70 in 325WSM, Knight rolling block hunter, Wapiti Spike longbow @64#, all woefully inadequite. A synthetic and stainless SAKO in 338winny, that is likely what I've been needing all along. First a perfect Whitetail gun, I understand they can be found with Unicorn horn inlays.

"Thats great hunny,you can sell all those rifles now and buy one of those perfect ones"  ;)