Author Topic: Reloading 357 in 38spl dies  (Read 402 times)

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Reloading 357 in 38spl dies
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:09:28 AM »
I have a lee 4 die set of 38 spl dies in a lee 4 hole turret press.  I have figured out the settings to load 357mag, not a problem.  I have seen on here before but cannot find again, where a guy made spacers to go under the dies that need raised up to not crush the 357 brass.  As far as I can tell, it was the powder through expander die, the crimp die, and the bullet seater die.  My question is how thick do they need to be? Is it just the thickness of the difference in case length? Want to make it a quick, easy, and repeatable process.  Right now its a pain.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Reloading 357 in 38spl dies
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:27:50 AM »
The difference in the length of the two. I believe you can get them from places like Midway if you peruse the reloading sections.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#spacer_____1-2-4__12_16_BrandName%20asc

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41:56 AM »
If I recall correctly, it's .100.
Savage
edit:
Thanks, Stimpy.  Wasn't sure about the difference in length. I thought I remembered it being 1/10". The washers sound like a good fix!
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 12:11:47 PM »
Matt

Its in the Tips & Tricks Sticky at the top of this forum , Heres a short cut .  ;D

Loading 38 spl and 357 mag with the same dies .

This one is from Coyotejoe

I got tired of readjusting dies when switching between .38 Special and .357 mag and considered buying another die set, but being both a cheapskate and a procrastinator I never got around to it. Then I flashed on a solution, probably an old idea but new to me. I took my digital caliper to the local True Value Hardware store and checked the thickness of a 7/8" flat washer. Eureka it miked .135" thickness, exactly the difference between .38 and .357 case length. I adjust the dies perfectly for .38s and when loading .357 I place the flat washer under the expander and seater dies and I have a perfect setup for .357. Eighty-five cents did seem pretty steep for one steel washer but a lot cheaper than a set of dies.
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply stimpy.  I knew I read it somewhere, I bet it was in the sticky a long time ago. 

Thanks,
Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck