Author Topic: Reloading Man Cave  (Read 1903 times)

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Reloading Man Cave
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:37:18 AM »
 Anyone have a small building they have built or turned into a reloading room? I'm thinking of building a small shed type building devoted to just my reloading area. Please feel free to share any thoughts or even pics of your setup!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
Re: Reloading Man Cave
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 10:52:34 AM »
I sectioned off 1/4 of my basement, built countertop on all of the exterior wall, and will be there tonight since it is 92 in the shade right now, perfect timing.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:40:34 PM »
For about 4-5 years mine was housed in a 10x10 metal shed on the side of my deck at a rental property where I was living. It worked!!

My first place dedicated half a counter in a pantry!!! I GOTTA have a place to reload!!!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 02:55:06 PM »
I've had a "man cave" for about 20 years, in two different homes.  If your wife is always smarter than you, and tells you so every day, you also need a man cave.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:17:33 PM »
Ive got a 15 X15 room in my basement that is being remodeled right now. I built  a 12 ft workbench, some shelves. Im getting a 5 ft piece of countertop that will hold the press & scale. The room will be for hunting equipment & reloading. Ive been working on it since CWlongshot posted pics of his setup. Will post pics when its done. Gonna be working on it this week. Too hot to be outside
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:40:05 PM »
I  HAVENT  MEASURED MINE   ABOUT  10 x20

small  heater  and  a/c  window unit

lots  of lights  and ceiling fans...lots  of work bench and  shelving   air compressor
refrigerator ..micro wave  coffe maker and sink with water
 covered porch for a casting area   soon to get   big  fan  for  the mosquitoes

its not at my house  but  it is within  rifle range  if  i ever see  some one  there

only  one old  rifle and shot gun  there  in ....so  i can  cover   my  house  from there
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 01:14:02 AM »
 I've had mine in basement for 30 years, it stays between 68-72 degrees all summer so was nice place to be in the dog days of summer. With having to move and build much smaller house with no basement, just trying to decide between a small building just for all my reloading stuff, and putting small A/C to keep cool.
 Guess I'm more worried about the swings in temp than anything else, the basement sure was nice and kept powder and primers in great shape.
 I remember CWlongshots pics and will have to look them up again!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 06:56:22 AM »
I loaded in the garage for 15 years.  Moved two years ago and lived in a end of a pole barn for a year and built a new house.  Those two years I have reloaded anywhere where my table was at and could clamp the press down.

I laughed when I read Man Cave because I am finishing the basement right now.  One end is 18 x 12 which I have termed my Man Cave and my wife hates the term.  I even labeled the breakers in the electrical box Man Cave.  She also thought it should only be about 12 x 12 but I finally won that argument since her sewing room is 25 X 25.  Anyway I put a closet in it for my reloading stuff.  Put an electrical outlet in the closet so the tumbler can run and I do not need to listen to it.  Will put a bench about 6-8' long on one wall for reloading.  Add the computer, tv and a recliner and I am set.  Maybe I am beginning to see why she does not like the Man Cave, she likes seeing me!

Offline davem270win

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »
Mine's only about 12 x 8. It's in the basement, the area used to be a ground cellar with dirt floor. Had concrete poured and built walls. I've got my reloading bench, books, gun tools, and gun safe in there, and can close and the lock the whole room. I got it because we spent a bunch of money on a bathroom redo! But we also moved the laundry upstairs, so now my wife almost NEVER comes into the basement. So, the rest of the basement is pretty much mine, too.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 11:18:07 AM »
I've had mine in basement for 30 years, it stays between 68-72 degrees all summer so was nice place to be in the dog days of summer. With having to move and build much smaller house with no basement, just trying to decide between a small building just for all my reloading stuff, and putting small A/C to keep cool.
 Guess I'm more worried about the swings in temp than anything else, the basement sure was nice and kept powder and primers in great shape.
 I remember CWlongshots pics and will have to look them up again!

you  need  the  a/c  for humidity control  too
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
"Man Cave!" -- Period!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »
Anyone have a small building they have built or turned into a reloading room? I'm thinking of building a small shed type building devoted to just my reloading area. Please feel free to share any thoughts or even pics of your setup!
I agree reloading is a high priority, along with guns, hunting, dogs fishing, fly tying, other "man" crafts, wood working, R/C airplanes-sailplanes-cars-boats-etc., .....

But if a man needs a man cave, he better damm well be gittin' it!  And protecting his mind and sanity!

I haven't built a dedicated reloading center - yet, but besides having more than enough counter space to support however many presses, I've always thought a long enough bench would be appropriate for building a radio-control glider with 2-meter (regulation) wingspan, as well as 1/4th or 1/5th scale powered R/C aircraft.

I also have interests in rod building - that requires space too!

The best reloading bench designs I've seen had plenty of room to provide rigid space for every press a fellow might have, but each one of those presses could quickly be taken off and stored in a prearranged space.

One design I saw depicted several years ago in a gun magazine had every press mounted on thick squares of aluminum about 1/2inch thick - with the side-edges cut like an extra wwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidde dovetail!  When the presses are taken off a huge work space appears to accomodate infinite other actvities.

If a fellow had such a work space and a really overbearing wife, I bet she'd be hounding him often to move in on his space and "man cave!"

No doubt Dr. John Gray would be envious of such as "man reteat."   ;D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »
  Here is a couple pics of my loading room, I also built a gun safe/room when I started pricing safes large enough to accomidate my "collection". I was cheapper to buy the safe door and build the room to house everything!!  Sorry, I don't take pics of the safe room...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 05:15:58 AM »
Ive got a 15 X15 room in my basement that is being remodeled right now. I built  a 12 ft workbench, some shelves. Im getting a 5 ft piece of countertop that will hold the press & scale. The room will be for hunting equipment & reloading. Ive been working on it since CWlongshot posted pics of his setup. Will post pics when its done. Gonna be working on it this week. Too hot to be outside

Exactly the same here. It will be nicer than my living room ;D. Will have bench, shelves, and safes, for everything (reloading stuff, fishing, hunting, cayaking, stands, optics, boots, backpacks, tents). Except that i need to focus on the cracks in the walls, leaky and slanted floor, non-existent electric cables, stupid window, and spray on insulation first. It's fun, and i am learning stuff. Now, if i could only figure out how to get a cable from the electric panel and how to wire this room...

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 05:59:10 AM »
  Here is a couple pics of my loading room, I also built a gun safe/room when I started pricing safes large enough to accomidate my "collection". I was cheapper to buy the safe door and build the room to house everything!!  Sorry, I don't take pics of the safe room...

CW

so far  we have a winner in the man cave competition

Offline C Sharp

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Oil Field Trash
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 01:41:52 AM »
Its even 100 yards from the house & the 200 yard range starts on the porch.
C Sharp

Offline GameHauler

• Trade Count: (49)
  • A Real Regular
  • Thank you Every One for Positive Feedback
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 02:40:35 AM »
C Sharp,
You are a man whom I must respect.
Barn boards and never enough outlets.
Very Nice ;)
Mike

Offline C Sharp

• Oil Field Trash
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 03:15:12 AM »
The outlets are flush with the overhead & I cut these boards myself. Of course it does match the barn, on the outside at least.
C Sharp

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 12:52:50 PM »
C Sharp,
You are a man whom I must respect.
Barn boards and never enough outlets.
Very Nice ;)

I agree!! Thats a beautiful functional setup you have built there!!  LOVE the barn wood!!!!!!

You say you also have a range as well...  Lets see the pics of that too!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline C Sharp

• Oil Field Trash
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 10:06:25 PM »
Be awhile on the range pict, I'm in Nigeria for another three weeks. I live way in the country so a range for me is any place with a back stop. I have a 100yd range with a dirt back stop off the east side of the porch, 200yds to the south (down the drive way, in between the horse pastures into some old cross ties I have stacked up). It don't get used much since right across the road I can get 450 yards up a power line to the east or 400 yards across a pasture to the south. I make a backstop out of dirt with my tractor where ever its needed. I've got enough places that anytime of the day I can be in the shade with target in sunshine. A country boy can survive.
C Sharp

Offline davem270win

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 08:16:48 AM »
And yes, I have a dehumidifier running 24/7. Plus central air upstairs, which helps.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 09:03:31 AM »
I got a kick out of some of the comments about wives, I guess because I never had to work it out, play the head games to have my private places or buy whatever I wanted.   My wife had her's, I had mine, we both respected each others, simple as that.   Worked for 35 years anyway, and I had some great Man Cave's.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 10:44:04 AM »
we  once  ha  a sewing/reloading room

she  is gone  now.....
i for a while had the press on the kitchen table
figured that might interfere with interviewing her replacements
i  measured the new cave  it  is 10 X 23  porch is 8 X 23 for casting
                wireing  the ceiling fans today