Author Topic: New cannon just about read for paint...need suggestions...  (Read 1149 times)

Offline centermass

• Trade Count: (0)
New cannon just about read for paint...need suggestions...
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
Well she is just about ready to paint........(don't know why I call it she but it just seems right) Anyway let me know what you think. ::) She isn't a professional job just some thing to play with..... ;D
The only person I know who said "safety is over rated"...........is dead

Offline subdjoe

Re: New cannon just about read for paint...need suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 01:31:34 PM »
Metallic ice white with pearlescent flames on the cheeks. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline centermass

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »
Hmmm, I thought about that but the paint is really hard to mix.............

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:53:36 PM »
Metal hardware and barrel gloss black.  Wood OD.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 02:49:52 PM »
Carriage metal browned. Barrel black and wood clear verathaned.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:48:45 PM »
An easy to strip paint........ &........... RED........WHITE....... &...... BLUE for the 4TH! ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 11:14:27 PM »
pardon my ignorance DD but what is OD ?
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 01:16:19 AM »

I have no idea if this is correct or not but in my days in the military OD referred to OD-Green.  We used to call it olive drab (take 10 points off for spelling).

But I will bet that DD knows  :P

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 01:17:24 AM »

In the paint department, OD is Olive Drab (green).

In machining, OD is Outside Diameter.

Soon after being drafted I learned to hate OD.  But being now retired, OD is OK!  ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 02:46:32 AM »
Olive Drab is the correct answer.  We have a post linked in the safe load and cannon plan sticky with various formulas for a similiar color to the original.

Offline centermass

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 12:38:26 PM »
Hmm. I was thinking on Confererate grey and black. I am from Indiana....but I was raised in Tx so I think I will go with the Grey and Black......OD would be ok too.....I am using stove paint for the black and clear sealer. The barrel turned out really good so I will use that too. Thanks for the information......Oh will post vids of the 4th too...........EVERYBODY BE CAREFUL!!!!!

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »
I think the vast majority of Confederate guns were OD, or some version thereof.  Actual color did seem to vary because of impurities in the inegredients. 

You could try dazzle camo: http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GWYA_enUS314US314&q=dazzle%20camouflage&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Or a dignified gloss midnight blue lacquer, gold hardware and gold trim. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline centermass

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 03:04:13 PM »
I think if I painted it dazzle camo I would get confussed on which end I was to load :o............I think conferate grey is looking very good right now.......Thanks........(I think)....... :o

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 03:04:25 PM »
Or a dignified gloss midnight blue lacquer, gold hardware and gold trim. 

Oooooooo !    A "presentation" model !
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline centermass

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 03:05:26 PM »
That is wrong in so many ways........................smile

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »
That is wrong in so many ways........................smile

Which?  The gloss midnight blue with gold hardware and trim?
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 03:40:05 PM »
Don't forget the wide white side walls....oh wait, that's passe, it's wide low profile tires these days.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 08:50:49 PM »
Don't forget the wide white side walls....oh wait, that's passe, it's wide low profile tires these days.

Well, the iron tires ARE low profile.

Hang the fuzzy dice from the front sight?

(now has the Cheech and Chong "Pink and purple tuck and roll! And the little dog in the back..." skit going through his head)
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 08:16:54 AM »
Centermass,

The Field Manual for the Use of the Officers on Ordnance Duty, prepared by the Confederate States of America, Ordnance Bureau, published in 1862, is (understandably) very similar to The Ordnance Manual for the Use of the Officers of the United States Army. 3d ed. (1861), because all of these officers, teachers and writers belonged to the same family before the Civil War, and it's causes tore that family apart.
This would explain why the formulas given for "olive drab" paint are the same in each manual.
I think that it's safe to say that a concensus of historians agree that an olive drab color paint was used by both sides to cover their artillery carriages, limbers and caissons during the Civil War.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 10:34:49 AM »
Centermass,

The Field Manual for the Use of the Officers on Ordnance Duty, prepared by the Confederate States of America, Ordnance Bureau, published in 1862, is (understandably) very similar to The Ordnance Manual for the Use of the Officers of the United States Army. 3d ed. (1861), because all of these officers, teachers and writers belonged to the same family before the Civil War, and it's causes tore that family apart.
This would explain why the formulas given for "olive drab" paint are the same in each manual.
I think that it's safe to say that a concensus of historians agree that an olive drab color paint was used by both sides to cover their artillery carriages, limbers and caissons during the Civil War.

Not to mention that those people kindly donated a whole bunch of ordnance to The Cause. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 05:43:12 AM »
Not to mention that those people kindly donated a whole bunch of ordnance to The Cause.

I suppose there are some that might choose to define this transfer of ordnance as a loan on a four year plan, with the one major drawback of this transaction being the horrific interest charges that were ultimately demanded of the borrower by the loaner.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline centermass

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »
I am always amazed at what a tread can morph into...........  :o

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 02:04:24 PM »
I am always amazed at what a tread can morph into...........  :o

Well, we are still on topic - talking about the paint on the CW era guns. It would have been costly to repaint all that lovely ordnance that the Federals were generous enough to donate.  Then, it would have been even more costly if, on the return of it they would have had to change it back from, say, grey to that standard green. 

i still think the dark blue with gold trim would be most hansome.  Especially if he were to carry it over and have some gold trim on the tube. Say, on the edges of the reinforcing ring, and a band right at the muzzle.  Simple, dignified.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline NitroSteel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 05:26:37 PM »
Is the consensus here standard OD green?  I'm looking at painting mine also - - and very soon.  More or less finished sanding it yesterday and it went BOOM (very loudly) 3 times this morning with no ill effects.

I've never done much wood working or finishing, being that my carriage is oak, what should I use to prime it, what type of paint should I buy - - Wallyworld sells quarts of OD green for folks painting their duck boats, and I've used it on many for this purpose.  I assume it would be best to use a brush for the wood (OD) and remove the metal hardwear (all that is possible) and spray it with grill paint (black)???

Thank ya'll again for your help.  I feel sure that paint will bring my cannon alive.

NitroSteel

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 05:33:23 PM »
Is the consensus here standard OD green?  I'm looking at painting mine also - - and very soon.  
NitroSteel

Yes, if you want something histerically correct. 

You need to make the decision -

Paint it the colors YOU want - traditional or otherwise.

I have one mortar (my FIRST) bright chrome plated - would never do it again, but it looks cool.

I have another, that is industrial hard crhome plated.  Would never do it again, but it works, is cool and is easy to clean.

SO figure out what you WANT and DO IT!

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »
The sticky safe loads and cannons plans at the top of the board, that you can take to the Paint store and will give you near correct tints.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 07:22:52 PM »
OK, I have going on in the back of my brain that at the start of the War between the State, there was one CSA unit, likely militia, that had orange painted carriages and limbers.
I havn't been able to dig up my reference agian.  Anyone have any idea?
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 11:22:16 PM »
I've never done much wood working or finishing, being that my carriage is oak, what should I use to prime it, what type of paint should I buy - - Wallyworld sells quarts of OD green for folks painting their duck boats, and I've used it on many for this purpose.  I assume it would be best to use a brush for the wood (OD) and remove the metal hardwear (all that is possible) and spray it with grill paint (black)???

NitroSteel

I've had good luck with Aervoe camo spray paint. So good that I painted my old GMC truck with it and it still looks pretty good after being outside for 10+ years. It comes in several colors, including OD.

I've used it on wood without primer and it stays on fine. Haven't left any wood painted with it outside though. Spray painting wood does often require quite a few coats to get an even color.

Another excellent spray paint I've used a lot is Rust-Oleum "Hard Hat." I'm not a fan of most Rust-Oleum products but this is some of the best spray paint I've used. Don't know about the color selection with it though...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 04:24:45 AM »
OK, I have going on in the back of my brain that at the start of the War between the State, there was one CSA unit, likely militia, that had orange painted carriages and limbers.
I havn't been able to dig up my reference agian.  Anyone have any idea?

There were four bronze 6 pdr smoothbore "cadet guns" used for training the pupils of the Virginia Military Institute, and these guns were called "The Four Apostles, Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John;" the carriages of these four guns were painted red. At the onset of the Civil War the VMI turned the four cadet guns over to the 1st Rockbridge Artillery, CSA, and they were first used in action in a skirmish at Falling Waters, and a few weeks later at the Battle of First Bull Run; at Bull Run the carriages of the "Four Apostles" were reported to still be red, but I'm guessing that as soon as the Confederate gun crews got a hold of some OD paint that they quickly redecorated these mounts.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
Thanks, Boom 3.  I couldn't come up with that to save my life.  Brain fart or something. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell