Author Topic: New guy with questions?  (Read 839 times)

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
New guy with questions?
« on: July 01, 2009, 04:37:25 AM »
New to C&B pistols, but not to firearms.

I have spent the last 3 months looking at different types of C&B pistols. I see the reproduction Colts (from colt) the uberti, and pietta.

My question what is the best value for C&B pistol? Which is the best (I sure this has been asked before) Which ones to stay away from.

Also I realize that the brass frames are not the best out there however. I wouldn't mind one of those eventually for occassional target use.

I however am more interested in the steel frame for a cylinder conversion.

I am familar with the Krist and the R&D cylinder conversions. Are there any others? Are they worth it?

Also If I wanted to load 45LC with black powder, are they loaded with the same powder measure that you use for measuring the loads for rifles and pistols?

Is there a mold that works well for casting bullets? what weight of bullet?  What about alloys 1 to 40 part tin?

As far as cylinder convesions in the 36 caliber is there a good bullet that can be used without having to reline the barrel?

thank you guys!

a4
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New guy with questions?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 11:39:52 AM »
I have loaded 45 Colt cartridges with a flask, as I had a spout with the charge I wanted to use.  Usually, I use a Lee dipper of the cc capacity needed for the charge to load cartridges like 45-70 or shot shells, using a little brass funnel and a loading block.  I also have a tool head setup for the 550 Dillon with a Hornady black powder powder measure, for 45 Colt, 44 Russian and 45 Schofield and a few other calibers.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 03:02:40 PM »
Generally with the conversions you want to use soft lead or pure lead, avoid wheel wts as they are pretty hard.  The strongest of the B/p pistols is the Ruger Old Army, but it's not exactly period correct, but a strong shooter.  Any of the 45 Colt bullet molds will work with the conversions.  I use a 250 flat nose of soft lead at cowboy action levels and get reasonable accuracy.  Most B/p revolvers get the best accuracy with lead balls.  My ROA will get 1 1/4" gps from a rest at 15yds with 457 ball and 4" group with the R & D and 452 size 250gr lfn.  The barrel twist seems to be set to stabilize the ball.

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »
For a conversion, I shoot 200 gr 45 bullets in the 45Colt and Schofield cartridges, but a 185 or 165 might be more accurate, if it was necessary, due to the slow twist "blhof" mentioned.  The lighter bullets are also easier on the barrel's forcing cone, and the cap & ball barrel is not made of as hard a steel as the cartridge guns.

As to the 36, I shoot Speer or Remington 148 gr Hollow Base Wadcutters.  Hornady if I must, but they seem to lead more.  The hollow base opens up and fills the .375 bore of the barrel, and accuracy at CAS distances is fine.  At extreme ranges, they might tumble due to the slow roundball rifling twist, but the nose-heavy hollow-based bullet probably has some arrohead effect, and is surprisingly stabile.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 01:13:53 AM »
I wish I could find a 45 hollow base mold that would cast a short enough bullet to work in my ROA.  I use a 300 gr for my flint 50 rifle that is very accurate in the 1-60 twist barrel.

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 02:39:54 AM »
+1 on the Ruger Old Army. Very well made guns, and convertible.

As for weighing charges for .45 Colt, you want to just use conventional methods; use a scale. For target/CAS loads, I've used a lot of Trail Boss.
The first step towards liberty is an act of defiance!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 04:30:34 AM »
I have the Kirst five shot gated conversion on a Pietta 1860 repop. I use very light smokeless loads with 200 grain roundnose flatpoints and best groups are around 2 1/2" at 25 yards. With a .457" roundball over 28 grains of Pyrodex RS in the .45 Colt case I get 1 1/2" groups, same as it had done with the percussion cylinder but my whole reason for the conversion was to shoot smokeless powder and I haven't gotten much accuracy with the roundball and smokeless powder, so I'm sticking with the 200 grain bullets.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 05:13:26 AM »
I have spent the last 3 months looking at different types of C&B pistols. I see the reproduction Colts (from colt) the uberti, and pietta.

My question what is the best value for C&B pistol? Which is the best

Now that's a hard question.   If the Colt stamp is important to you, then it's worth the extra cash.  As for the Italian versions, UBERTI is cosmetically outstanding, and costs just a little more than the PIETTA which is a very beautiful and reliable piece itself.   As far as the Brass models go.   Don't shoot high charges of pwdr, keep it clean, and it will last many, many years.
4B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.