Author Topic: .243 wont cock  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
.243 wont cock
« on: July 03, 2009, 02:59:21 AM »
well with Yote season coming up, my .243 wont come to full cock. the hammer comes half way back and stops solidly. this happened while in transport and i never even fired the gun. i took it with me on a trip, never used it and when i got home, went to use it ( some weeks later ) i have a no-go hammer !
 i guess i need to take it apart and see whats what ? has this happened to anyone else ? any advice ?
  >:(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .243 wont cock
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 04:59:34 AM »
Sounds like something broke or possibly fell in to the action behind the hammer.  ???  Hold the barrel release up and see if it will cock. Donwload Perklo's trigger hone info if you haven't, R&R it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 01:27:09 PM »
tim, i held the release up, down and wiggled the action, somethings loose because it rattles when i shake it.
i even cussed at it, called it all kinds of nasty names and that didnt even work, so i did look at perklo's  info. looks like i need to make a jig, and take it apart.
i may be yelling for help with this first R&R  :o

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 05:57:40 PM »
The transfer bar may have fallen off or it you have replaced the stock the stock bolt may be hitting the hammer parts.  There may also be something that has fallen into the action.  Larry

Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline SteveHawaii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Having fun at the Koko Head Shooting Complex
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 08:40:41 PM »
What kind of ammo are you using?  My Rossi 243 does the same thing with some reloaded cases that have grown a bit too much.  Try using factory ammo before you disassemble.
We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 01:21:19 AM »
SteveHawaii, he mentions in the first post that he never even fired the gun.

Quote from: Scibaer
This happened while in transport and I never even fired the gun.

I agree its likely the transfer bar. Take it appart and see what you have. All else fails you can reassemble and still return to factory. But if its a easy one you will not have that long wait to contend with. Besides we are all here to help ya!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 05:54:06 AM »
i have replaced the stock and forend, but have shot the gun to sight it in after that. then it sat till hunting season and wont operate.
 i dont know what could have fallen into the action, it was in a soft case the entire time it was waiting for season and in transit.
so when i do get it apart, i'm counting on the fact that you guys will help me get it back together .
 i downloaded the perklo giude and am making the jig today, but dont have the punches i need, so a trip to the tool store is in order.

question, if i find a broken part can i order just that part somewheres ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 06:10:16 AM »
Brownell's and Numrich carry some parts, the transfer bar(lifter and striker) and spring are available at Brownell's, internal parts with the exception of the firing pin are common parts, so the SB1 parts are the same as SB2. The stock bolt can interfere with the hammer if it's too long or the washer(s) are omitted, but I don't see that happening if it worked fine and hasn't been tightened since it was last used.

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=676/schematicsdetail/SB2_Handi_Rifle_H_R_Ultra

http://e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=2190zPARDNER%20-%20SINGLE%20SHOT

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »

Are you sure you got all the spacers and washers on the rear stock bolt? Is it the right stock bolt?

Try backing the stock bolt out a bit and try it again.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
+1 on what trotterlg and Rusty said. It sounds like the stock bolt is too long for some reason.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »
i have replaced the stock and forend, but have shot the gun to sight it in after that. then it sat till hunting season and wont operate.
 i dont know what could have fallen into the action, it was in a soft case the entire time it was waiting for season and in transit.
so when i do get it apart, i'm counting on the fact that you guys will help me get it back together .
 i downloaded the perklo giude and am making the jig today, but dont have the punches i need, so a trip to the tool store is in order.

question, if i find a broken part can i order just that part somewheres ?

Glenn

Sounds to me like your transfer bar may have been dis-lodged while it was being moved around , try pulling the hammer back and looking under the hammer to see if it is moving up as it should .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »
but have shot the gun to sight it in after that

I think I need new glasses!
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 02:09:22 AM »
Ok i got the actions apart. looking at the instructions, it is the little part called "lifter and striker" that came apart and jammed things up.
it looks like there is a small pin that holds those two parts together that need to be replaced ( its missing )

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 02:23:05 AM »
don't mess around trying to "fix" that part.....i had the same trouble on a new handi.....order a new part from Numrich. The replacement i got from Numrich was much better built than the factory part.....easy to fix.While you have it apart you could hone the trigger,too ;)

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 03:51:01 AM »
the trigger on this particular action is fairly descent, at least it works for me.
i was thinking i could fix it with a drill bit shank and some JB weld. looked at the Numrich site, and at $15 i will just order the whole assembly from them.
so, i should be shooting by next weekend, just in time for the yotes. if i can get the action back together  :o

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 03:27:29 AM »
i got the part in, but they are sharp edged. will that hurt anything, or should i run them in my tumbler for a bit to polish them up ?
should i just assemble them as is ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 05:04:37 AM »
As long as it function fine, I wouldn't do anything to it unless Perklo mentions it in his info.  ;)

Tim

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »
After alot of cussing and making deals with the devil for 3 hands, its together and most importantly working !
 but, it sounds rough, when i thumb back the hammer there is a feeling of rough metal on metal and a slight ( rasp ) sound.
since the Perklo guide doesnt say either way on the tumbler idea, i looked for other ideas and ended up using Tetra white gun grease on all the parts in question.  more cussing and deal making, but its quieter then it was and considerably smoother. my trigger quality is still acceptable to me, but does feel different somehow ( any ideas ?? )

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 05:49:51 PM »
Did ya smooth all the surfaces Perklo notes, or just put it back together? I used to use Tetra, but it dries out and just turns to a caked on mess, so I switched to Superlube synthetic.

Tim

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 12:44:46 AM »
Just a word about excessive amounts of ANY lube. They attract dust and grit and in the long run will cause more troubles than it will help. Use it sparingly, polish contact areas outlined in the post and minimal lubes will be required...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 07:52:31 AM »
i did polish the areas outlined in the notes, but i wasnt real confident, and not to sure i did a good complete job.
i didnt glob on the grease, just a light wipe of grease where i thougt it would help.
i didnt touch the sear or the hammer hook, i was afraid to screw things up.
it works and i'm happy with it as is. im going to the range soon and see how the trigger breaks and get it zeroed in for next week.

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »
i went to the range tonite. the .243 shot real well, two 3 shot groups that could be covered with a nickel at 144 yards ( range was 150 yard but my range finder said 144 )  with my 75gr. v-max handloads. that will do just fine i think, when the barrel got warm the groups started to open up some.
the rough hammer not withstanding it was a good day at the range, the .243 works just fine..
thanks for all the help..

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »
All's well that ends well!! ;D

Tim