Author Topic: Ever hear of LEISE Binoculars?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Craig M. Bellis

• Trade Count: (0)
Ever hear of LEISE Binoculars?
« on: September 23, 2003, 01:54:46 PM »
Years ago my father-in-law gave me a pair of 8x30 "featherweight" binoculars labeled "Carl Leise - Wetzlar, Germany." I tried a web search and didn't come up with anything. Did anyone ever hear of them? Any info. would be appreciated.

Offline Bucky

Leize
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 06:16:59 PM »
Is it possible that it is: Leitz?

Offline peartree

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2003, 01:46:22 AM »
Could be Carl Zeiss, the scope is old, therefor probably worn and the Z lettering could be worn to the point it looks like a L.

Not sure, just a thought

peartree

Offline Craig M. Bellis

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 05:15:27 AM »
The binoculars are clearly labeled as I posted it. Perhaps they are just an off brand or are manufactured by a company that no longer exists.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 05:30:31 AM »
Zeiss isn't, or wasn't to my knowledge, made in Wetzlar, so it isn't a Zeiss.

Sorry, but I have never heard of that brand before.

Zachary

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 07:41:25 AM »
Craig & Zachary:

Present-day Carl Zeiss is headquartered in Wetzlar. Originally, they were in Jena near Berlin.

Wetzlar as an "optical heaven" did not exist until much of the staff of E. Leitz and Zeiss fled Jena at the end of World War II.

Peartree may be partly correct. If the binocular was manufactured or assembled shortly after WW II, it is possible the name was in a Gothic type face, with German form of double "S." For Americans, this style of type is almost unreadable. Were the letters worn, as well -- well you see where this goes.

Conclusion: I am unaware of a third-rate binocular made in Wetzlar. If the binocular is older, it is probably a Zeiss "E body" not roof prism. And it may be assembled from parts captured or moved from the east zone of occupation.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Craig M. Bellis

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 02:50:08 PM »
Thanks again for your insights. The binoculars have a clear letter type, not at all Gothic and the letters are not worn at all. They are in all caps. The left side reads "8x30, CARL LEISE, WETZLAR, GERMANY" and the right side reads "8x30, SPORTSTER, %100 COATED, FEATHERWEIGHT." I also noticed that the leather strap is stamped "West Germany." I don't know the difference between E-Body and roof prism. I'll try another web search to see what I can come up with.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 02:58:14 PM »
Kind of reminds me of the time my rocket scientist cousin showed me his new, very expensive, but somewhat "hot" watch that he got for a measly $100. It was a ROLEZ.  :roll:
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline Craig M. Bellis

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 08:39:49 AM »
Funny you should write that Dogshooter -- I was given a $10 watch from Mexico that says "ROLEX" -- even had the correct spelling! I'm told there are no copyright laws down there! Hey it ran for 2 weeks -- what do you want for 10 bucks?

The glasses are old and well worn though. They are built very sturdy and have great clarity. I'm guessing they are from an obsolete builder. I'll know for sure next time I'm south of the border. If they don't have them at the optical stand on the street corner in Tijuana, I'll know they are really German made!!!

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 04:42:07 AM »
Hi Guys. Here's my reply:

"E" body is the Zeiss binocular design that is what we recognize as "porro" prism shape -- two diameters for each telescope, the telescopes having significantly greater distance between centers of objective lenses than ocular lenses.

Craig: you've got me stumped with the name and model. You might try contacting support staff at Deutsche Optik http://www.deutscheoptik.com/. The web site also has a forum for collectors. Another web site is the history of telescopes and binoculars http://home.europa.com/~telscope/binotele.htm,

You may not find your answer, but I think you'll enjoy the trip.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell