Author Topic: 16.5" 45/70 barrel fitted! (+ range report)  (Read 1335 times)

Offline chipmunk

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
16.5" 45/70 barrel fitted! (+ range report)
« on: July 04, 2009, 10:06:14 AM »
I bought this barrel from dk17hmr a while back but I went on vacation right after receiving it.  After I got back I played with the barrel and found it would need a slight shim to fit properly.  (One piece of pop can material made it lock up tight)   The next day at work I, with the boss's permission, snagged a .002 shim and some industrial JB weld like stuff.  We use this stuff to shim some of the high wear parts on the block machine so I think it'll be fine on the gun.  I fitted the shim and when it dried it fit perfectly.  I put on the synthetic stock set I got from jim36 and found it needed a bit of work to float.  A rubber washer and a small amount of filing and I was done with that.  I decided to change the scope mount as it appeared to be on extra high rings.  A set of mediums made it feel much better.   

It took a while for me to get a chance to shoot it but I finally did yesterday.  I was cutting hay all day but managed to sneak in a small amount of time for shooting.  I grabbed the bench and a 4x4 pallet liner (cardboard) and set up quickly.  I ended up with 73 yards from the bench to the target.  I used the 1 shot sight in trick to get close and then started tuning some more.  I was only shooting one shot between adjustments since I had little time, but it seemed to be working.  I took that as a good sign accuracy wise as you can only get away with this in an accurate gun.  After about 7 shots I was happy with the adjustments and took a 3 shot group.  The barrel was already warm and I did not wait between these 3 shots.  Because of this I did not expect much, but the group below is what I got!   1st 2 shots through one hole and the 3rd exactly .5in off.   That's a half inch group!  If I'm doing the math right that's around .7MOA!  I shot a 2nd group to confirm and it was almost as good.  I didn't measure it but I would guess .75inches.  The barrel was pretty hot as this point so I'm amazed.  I never would have expected the 16.5in barrel to shoot that good even after hand loading.

The only weird thing I found was the I had a little unburnt powder in the barrel after every shot.  I have never seen this before.  Both Winchester and Remington ammo did this so it's not an ammo issue.  Could it be a 45/70 thing?  Or is it maybe a short barrel thing?   

Anyway...I'm pleased with this!

(Hopefully the pic shows up.  First time posting one)

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: 16.5" 45/70 barrel fitted! (+ range report)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 10:16:45 AM »
its a short barrel thing, your in great shape if it shoots that good!!!!!!! ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »
I think it was the stock that did the trick ;) ;) Good shooting my friend.

Jim

Offline maglvr44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 06:12:44 PM »

The only weird thing I found was the I had a little unburnt powder in the barrel after every shot.  I have never seen this before.  Both Winchester and Remington ammo did this so it's not an ammo issue.  Could it be a 45/70 thing?  Or is it maybe a short barrel thing?   

Reload with Unique and you'll see no more unburned powder.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 12:07:12 AM »
or,   imr-4227
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline chipmunk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 04:50:16 AM »
Thanks guys, I was thinking I would need to go with a faster powder to take care of that - now I know.  If I ever find primers again, I'll talk some short barrel theory on the reloading forum before I reload.  I figure there are some tricks to get the most out of those 16.5 inches. 

I'm am still absolutely amazed at the accuracy I got out of those factory loads.  I was thinking this would be just a 50yd brush gun, but if it can hold this accuracy out to 200 or so then I might have a little miracle here.  Short barrels aren't supposed to shoot this good.  Of course...according so some...45/70's in general won't shoot that good.  Can't wait to see how far out there I can get. 

I get the feeling I'm really gonna like this gun!

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:56:04 AM »
I load my jacketed bullets with 4895 and my cast with 5744.  Both leave powder in the barrel of my BC, but the 5744 is the worst.  Good shooting.  Congrats on a winner!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 02:29:23 AM »
Good shooting and good job barrel fitting. Sounds like you have a nice little (short) gun.
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »
I think I sent you the load data I had worked up with that barrel.  I was pushing a 350gr bullet with H322 at 1910fps with good off hand accuracy, never cared to sit down at the bench with it to really ring it out.

Glad you like it.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »
How bout a pic of the whole gun?

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 06:17:43 AM »
I use 2400 and don't get any "stuff" left in the 22" barrel
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline chipmunk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 02:11:07 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions and loads guys. (Doug - you did give me yours. Thanks!) I'll try them out as soon as I get reloading.    When I get a chance I think I will see how far this thing can hold a group!  Any bets on how far out I can get the gun to shoot good?  Let's call "good" hitting a 6" circle almost every shot.

The more I handle this gun the more I like it!

Here's a pic

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 05:13:48 PM »
If that's what you would like, a 6" (deer kill zone) circle, then take a good rest my friend, and you should be happy to at least 200 yds.  I haven't fired mine at that distance, but it would easily hold an 2" at 100 with the open sights.  With a scope, you should do better.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 07:46:01 PM »
Once you work out your trajectory I would assume 300 yards is doable from the bench.  From actual shooting positions other than prone it will get hairy past 100 I bet.

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 07:47:09 PM »
Oh yeah, short and sweet gun!  :o

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 07:48:40 PM »
PS, what I found is that if you sight in with the top of the thin section of the crosshair at 100 yards on 9x, the 200 yard zero is almost dead on, the 300 yard zero just a little bit below the bottom of the crosshair.

This is with hotter 300 grain loadings and H4198...so 2300 fps or around there would work.

Offline chipmunk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 02:52:03 PM »
I'll play with the loadings and trajectories as soon as primers become available again.  tykempster, you're about right on my thinking with the 6" circle.  I like to know the maximum range that the gun itself is capable of firing "deer killing groups."   In the field I have to figure in my maximum range and come up with a max me/gun combo range.  Sounds weird in theory but it works well for me.   I know that I increase groups by about 1moa off of a steady rest so using that I can figure out how far I can kill a deer as long as I use the proper holdover.  My 30-06 is capable of 6" groups out well past 600yds on the bench, but by the time you factor me into the equation, 300yds is my absolute limit the field.  My muzzle loader is capable of 6" groups out to 300yds but my field limit is 150 with it.   

I want to know the limit with this gun although I expect to keep actual shots under 100.  Any chance of a longer shot and I should be carrying a different gun...but it's always good to know your limits...otherwise it's easy to get tempted when that big buck steps out a bit further then you expected.

Offline jammer308

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 04:31:20 PM »
Sounds weird in theory but it works well for me. 

Not wierd at all. Smart shooting and hunting if you ask me.      jammer