Author Topic: What Color Should the Big French Mortar Bed be?  (Read 5350 times)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: What Color Should the Big French Mortar Bed be?
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
i will second that ! it does need a name . i know for absolute sure mike would certainly enjoy that task .

he's been offering suggestions all along , he's earned this right in my opinion .

it should be a ....swarthy name of meaning and dignity , like mike has said ....'this son of a ritch has been the stupidist thing you ever did .' it doesnt really roll off the tongue but it does have a certain purpose and authority of '....the old salt....'

lets see what does  tsoabhbtstyed ....pronouned Tsobatstyed ......Tisobatstied ,,,yeppppp thats her alright .... :P

IIRC that was a creature of mythic lore .......yea sure they were . ;D

now that was a good idea you had mike ;D

now there have been many other suggestions mike has offered many far more ...colorful ,to where the the air atually turned blue . .....thats my fav. 'old blue' as its black as the ace of spades ....and i might get a reply from the ...'founder of the feast'  :D ;D ;)

SO mike what will the new mortar be named , i've tried to be of help but it is your call . ...'cover yer ears darling ....'

NOW for the important question, now that the color has been chosen, applied and discussed ---

What is the motar's NAME?   "she" or "it" just doesn't do it; it HAS to have a personalized name!

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 06:41:42 PM »
i will second that ! it does need a name .

NOW for the important question, now that the color has been chosen, applied and discussed ---
What is the motar's NAME?   "she" or "it" just doesn't do it; it HAS to have a personalized name!

How about The Gullywhomper!!!!!!!!!!!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2009, 12:20:06 AM »
 ' The Moderator '    or   'Ugly Betty'   seriously though, cars,ships etc. somehow are just female, the brute looks a bit like............' you wouldn't listen to Momma...........so I sent for Poppa.'  got to be a male.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2009, 01:16:57 AM »
"Bétonnière"

No offense intended, but it does kinda look like one. And considering the projectile material.....

;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2009, 03:20:59 AM »
"Bétonnière"

No offense intended, but it does kinda look like one. And considering the projectile material.....

;D

Yes!!! and you have to look it up to figure it out!!!!!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2009, 06:33:59 AM »
I was thinking "THUMPER"......... But Bétonnière is a winner!

and it sort of looks like one too!  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2009, 07:12:30 AM »
how about "my darling bastard" ??

of corse its a she
reminds me a little of an old russian wrestling women on steroids  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »
How about "Mort"?

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2009, 10:16:13 AM »
or "Tiny"   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2009, 04:04:58 PM »
or:  Big Bertha
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2009, 06:44:54 PM »
i've changed my mind after todays visit i am sure capt. ahab (sp) has nothing on tracy right now ... ;D

"Moby Dick" ( a take off on truth and the whistling dick of lore) is my name for the great white whale .   of course the white whale is black in this case , but it doesnt matter .

and capt. tracy and first mate (grudgonly ) mike will spear the the beast and follow it to it's doom .

but as mike has been held hostage to Moby and is really a smee to tracys hook he should live to prosper  ;D.

i just hope tracy doesnt get tanged up in the ropes and go to the brimmy deep with .."moby" ....
say a large river on the way back ........ or even a ticking  crocodile ......i'm just sayin .....

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2009, 05:51:21 AM »
     Mike and I sure want to thank all of you for helping us with the color and now, thanks to Gary, aka RocklockI, a name.  Mike and I have called it many Names, but usually uncomplimentary names like "that bastard" or get that "SOB" out of my way, etc.  It's as if, as it keeps getting bigger and bigger, we get more and more irritated, as we are always tripping over it or one of it's parts which are always in the way.  So we will call it "La Bete" as in the title to that old silent film, "La Belle et la Bete",  "The Beauty and the Beast".  The 1908 version or a portion of it still exists, French made and features a beast of a Beast.  Most people are familiar with the 1946 remake which is spectacular and is very, very well done and "Beauty" is really beautiful. 

La Bete and all of it's beastly parts, fixtures and associated crap will be OUT-OF-THE-SHOP by Tuesday, so says MIKE!!  And Gary is correct, Mike has promised to wring my neck if I ever start another large, all consuming, project like this one has become, ever again.  I'm anxious to get back to miniatures too, having gained volumes of respect for those makers who make the full size guns.

We have the end in sight now, having successfully drilled the vent last night at 10 PM!  We hope to PROOF TEST it on Wednesday or Thursday.  The last batch of construction photos will be posted tonight on the other thread, mostly baseplate and tube machining pics.  We thank the good Lord above that we didn't break a drill off in the vent!  Always a worry, but certainly a big one for the full size cannon maker!

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2009, 06:59:03 AM »
what would possese you to credit me with the name ..... ???

i said moby dick .

unless somehow you tranlated that into the beast . but thanks anyway  ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2009, 07:01:31 AM »
my quills all got wet last night in the rain .   i only have about 4 dry straws to do over ......

DD how fast can you overnight some to me ?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »
Well lets see...how many do you need?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2009, 11:32:51 AM »
ummmmm   never mind ......they all got better and delivered to tracy... :o

he took some photos of the complete barrel assy...... wow thats a mothergun for sure . ;D

even got the powder can for size ....down in the bottom of the chamber !

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2009, 06:37:35 PM »
I began to wonder (after reading the posts about naming the mortar) if it was the French military, press, or public that originally started to call it the "Monster Mortar," and if the word monster was only used descriptively, or if it was used like a nick name. In any case, you'd have to admit that there's not a great difference in the definitions given for the words "Monster," and "Beast."
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2009, 11:24:47 PM »
"Mike has promised to wring my neck if I ever start another large, all consuming, project like this one has become, ever again."

I figured by now it might possibly have become like that old saying about having a child....

"Wouldn't trade him for a million dollars. Wouldn't give a nickel for another one."

;)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2009, 12:38:55 AM »
"Mike has promised to wring my neck if I ever start another large, all consuming, project like this one has become, ever again."

I figured by now it might possibly have become like that old saying about having a child....

So, Victor, what do you think their next large, all conuming project will be?   ;D

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2009, 01:00:55 AM »
As much as M&T complain about the project and how it has taken over their lives I think they have been bitten by the full scale artillery bug,
once they fire this this beastie there will be no turning back........

I see a full scale water cored coastal Artillery piece in their future......... which means a new truck and a 5th wheel rig to haul it to Montana next year.........  ;D

DD your going to need a longer range and bigger targets!.........
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2009, 01:05:30 AM »

So, Victor, what do you think their next large, all conuming project will be?   ;D

I dunno....

If it were me at the end of a project like that it wouldn't be anything "all consuming" but might involve "consuming all" of something in a glass container.

(Responsibly and in moderation of course)  ;D

Sherlock Holmes