Author Topic: Magnum primers  (Read 358 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Magnum primers
« on: July 06, 2009, 12:07:41 PM »
I just got off of the phone with CCI. I asked about magnum primer replacement for regular. The tecnition said that they were 10% hotter. I said that there websight said 23%. The teck said he  tells everyone 10%. But couldn't give any other addvice.   The only thing said was that they were told to say start at the bottom and work up. We all know that. But I was told don't go more than half way???? What are you guys doing. It is so hard to getr regular primers and small rifle of any kind is impossible. Thatis around here!!

Good luck and good Health Zacharoo

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Magnum primers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:28:29 PM »
In the few rare cases were I do sub mag primers for standard , I do it with the harder to light ball powders like BLC-2 or large loads of the slower ones like IMR 4831 and 4350 .

And in these cases I have worked up loads from the lowest charge listed , and find that I hit the sweet spot well before I ever hit max . so I can't say for sure were it will top out .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:33:53 PM »
Magnum primers are hotter, so you need less powder to get the same kind of pressures. Getting the same pressure does not mean you get the same velocities. the pressure curve is faster when you substitute a magnum primer for a regular one when using powder that does not call for magnum primers. My advice is to use what is called for, but in these times of near impossible getting primers, you shoot what you got. Try to use a powder that takes magnum primers, but if you can't then reduce your loads to the bottom of the charts and work your way very carefully watching your chronograph and any pressure signs you may get. Be satisfied with some thing less than max listed velocity. I was using a regular CCI small pistol primer in a 22 Hornet. Every thing was good. I used the same recipe with magnum small pistol primers. Suddenly my loads were too hot - just because of the primer. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »
Thanks Guys!!!!!!!

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:01:21 PM »
Every manual I have states quite clearly that when ever you change ANY component START LOW and work up! In most cases an extra 100 fps doesn't matter to what you are shooting. Many(most really) of MY guns shoot more accurately a bit below max