Author Topic: 4th of July Cannon Accident  (Read 759 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
4th of July Cannon Accident
« on: July 07, 2009, 04:47:46 AM »
This happened in the town 35 miles east of where I live.

July 7, 2009

Watermelon vaporized in Shelby cannon blast; no humans injured

By KARL PUCKETT
Tribune Staff Writer

Fourth of July tomfoolery on Main Street in Shelby turned serious when a cannon loaded with a watermelon misfired and exploded, sending iron shrapnel flying into nearby buildings.

"Instead of the watermelon going off, the cannon blew," said Craig Ostman, market president of U.S. Bank.

Flying cast-iron shrapnel punctured holes in three windows at the bank, causing more than $4,000 in damages, Ostman said. Glass spewed into the lobby.

A few other buildings also were damaged, Ostman said.

Cannon-fire broke a large window at the Tap Room and busted bottles behind the bar, Ostman said. Some patrons suffered small cuts from flying glass.

As far as Ostman knows, nobody at the bar or at any other location was seriously injured.

Some of the cannon pieces, which weighed up to three pounds, were blown a block and a half from the explosion, he said.

Whether authorities had issued any tickets in connection to the explosion, or how many people were involved in lighting the cannon, wasn't immediately clear.

A Toole County Sheriff's dispatcher said she was aware of the explosion, but that nobody was immediately available to comment.

Tradition calls for revelers to shoot a watermelon out of a cannon on Main Street each July Fourth, Ostman said.

On Saturday, the cannon was positioned between the Tap Room and U.S. Bank across the street. Ostman, who was at home when police called at 11:30 p.m. to inform him of the bank damage, never saw the size of the cannon.

"There's nothing left of it," he said. As for the watermelon, it "just vaporized."

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Re: 4th of July Cannon Accident
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 05:12:54 AM »
We were in Shelby yesterday . Plywood over the windows @ Bank and Tap Room . Lucky no one was killed .  Wonder if a Water mellon will fit in my Mortar ?  ::)  I think I'll pass  ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:38:18 AM »
It's a shame to see some traditions fade away; on others, not a bad idea.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
 :( Damn!!!! That's scary but ppl seem to forget that there is always a reason for safety precautions when dealing with explosives. There were rules I broke as a naval ordnanceman but I knew what I was breaking and the consequences that could ensue. I'm just happy nobody was seriously hurt.

NG

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 07:54:46 AM »
Here's another one, but this one is simple to figure out.  Swab between shoots

http://www.myfox8.com/wghp-cannon-injury-090706,0,7481120.story

Related links
 Man Injured By Cannon on July 4th Photos
THOMASVILLE, N.C. - An Archdale man was seriously injured Saturday when a cannon went off while he was preparing to fire it to celebrate the Fourth of July holiday, according to officials in the Davidson County Sheriff's Office.

Kevin Scott Hankins, of 2205 Lockwood Circle, was taken to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center shortly after 10 p.m. with serious injuries to his arms and hands as well as lacerations and burning to his torso, waist, neck, head and arms, deputies said. Investigators said Hankins was standing in front of the cannon, packing gun powder in it after a misfire when the cannon fired.

Perry Kennedy, who hosted the July 4th party for about 35 people at her property on Proctor Rd. in Thomasville, said her ex-husband and the couple's sons built the cannon, which resembles a Revolutionary War-era model. Kennedy said her son is usually the one who lights the cannon and shoots liter bottles full of ice toward an empty field.

This year, however, Kennedy said the cannon misfired as Hankins, a friend of her son's, used a plunger to pack the gun powder.

"The cannon just went 'whooooo' and all I could see was red sparks and everything," she recalled Monday. "And then I looked down and Kevin was down on the ground."

The explosion ripped and burned Hankin's red T-shirt, which Kennedy's son cut off him because it was on fire.

As of Monday afternoon, Hankins was in fair condition at Baptist, according to hospital officials.

Davidson County Sheriff David Grice said his office has never dealt with an incident like this and isn't sure if the owner of the cannon will face charges. He said it depends on whether the cannon falls under the definition of a weapon of mass destruction. If it does, Grice said the owner could face felony charges.

Kennedy said she's never had an accident with the cannon before, but doubts her family will ever fire the it again. Instead, she's considering donating it to a museum.

"The kids were terrified, absolutely terrified, and so were the adults," she said. "I mean, we've never seen anything like this. It was really scary."
Copyright © 2009, WGHP-TV

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:24:24 AM »
Not sure how to interpert this one. Did they clear the misfire before packing more powder or was this a prolonged hangfire? Obviously the friend wasn't thoroughly indoctrinated in procedures or he wouldn't have been standing in front of the muzzle. It explains why we should swab after firing but I'm not sure if they excerised proper safety on the misfire.

ng

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 08:55:17 AM »
Look at the attached video's and the picture of the T-shirt. 

They were pushing the powder down the bore with  a plunger.  As he was pushing the plunger the charge went whoosh and plunger went flying.   

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 09:05:05 AM »
DD
Couldn't get the site to open but had they cleared a previous misfire or were they pushing more powder down the tube? Were they thumbing the vent? Obviously a wet swab hadn't been done or the tube wasn't being thumbed either or the man would have lost a thumb. What size cannon?

ng

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 09:45:17 AM »
NG,

If they are pushing powder with a plunger do you really think they swabbed?  Sarcasim is rhetorical and directed at you.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 01:43:18 PM »
NG,
If they are pushing powder with a plunger do you really think they swabbed?  Sarcasim is rhetorical and directed at you.
I wonder if it was called a plunger because the reporter didn't know enough to call it a ram?  Never underestimate the stupidity or ignorance of reporters.  And other things don't add up. If it was a misfire, and they were shooting bottles, he would have been pushing powder down on top of the bottle.  The moms description of the noise makes me think it was loose powder that got ignited.  Lots of questions on this.
Oh!  Did you catch the reporter "you don't even need a permit for."  Waddya wanna bet that soon we see some idjit capon pushing for permits and licensing?
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »
DD,
   Why the sarcasm? I told you I couldn't get into the site. I agreed that the tube wasn't swabbed, I also asked if this was truely a misfire or perhaps a hang fire that went terribly wrong. Normally when ramming the charge home you have the vent stopped. I think alot of things were done wrong in this incident. Yes, some reporter might have called it a "plunger" what did the picture show? I'm not being negative just asking questions because I couldn't get to the article.
I follow the NCWAA rules.

NG

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »
DD,
   Finally got to view the video and it's alot clearer to me. When I hear misfire it means fire was introduced to the charge and the charge did not go off. From what the mother says it does seem as if there had to be burning embers in the tube and possibly spilled powder from the cartridge and as you've mentioned swabbing the bore would have eliminated that as well as having the vent stopped. Despite the young man's injuries he should thank Saint Barbara that the rammer/plunger didn't go through him.

ng

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 02:45:18 PM »
DD,
   Why the sarcasm? I told you I couldn't get into the site. I agreed that the tube wasn't swabbed, I also asked if this was truely a misfire or perhaps a hang fire that went terribly wrong. Normally when ramming the charge home you have the vent stopped. I think alot of things were done wrong in this incident. Yes, some reporter might have called it a "plunger" what did the picture show? I'm not being negative just asking questions because I couldn't get to the article.
I follow the NCWAA rules.

NG

Probably better to say my cycnicism and frustration at people who don't take time to learn how to do these things right.  Ask the guy who got  burned if he knows anything about the correct procedures like worming, swabbing or thumbing the vent.   You and I do, but that guy peobably would give you a blank stare if you asked.  He's badly burned and we get more and more restrictions.

The watermelon cannon in the other post has sparked debate in that small town.  So what is the plan, to ban cannons at least that is t he talk on the street.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 02:58:36 PM »
... to ban cannons ...

It would make more sense to ban stupidity, but then they might have to find a new crop of city councilmen.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill