Author Topic: Rifled shotgun for my daughter??  (Read 356 times)

Offline Goss

• Trade Count: (0)
Rifled shotgun for my daughter??
« on: July 08, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »
Hi, I'm looking for a rifled NEF single shot shotgun for my 15 year old daughter. Do they make a youth version of the Ultra Slug Hunter Lite in 20ga?

Thanks, Tom

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Rifled shotgun for my daughter??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:07:34 PM »
Tom,
  They did make a youth model with a shorter barrel and stock. It may be called the compact model now. It weighs about 7 lbs. I would be concerned if you got your daughter one of the ULSH guns even if it was a 20ga.  At 5 1/4 lbs, it is going to generate some serious recoil. Maybe even enough from reduced-recoil slugs that she would not enjoy shooting it at all.  IMHO, I would get her the heaviest one out there(USH 8-9lbs) and perhaps replace the stock with one that is the most appropriate length.  I would also consider a long eye relief scope so she can get some space between it and her face. She'll get plenty strong enough to ward off teenage boys lugging around that heavy gun. ;) I'm assuming this would be for deer hunting?  Can you use a pistol caliber rifle in your state?  A .357 mag Handi would be just about perfect for her. :)

~Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Goss

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:01:28 AM »
Hi Dinny,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have a 20ga USH that I use myself. Trouble is it's too heavy for her to hold up for any length of time.
Nope, we cannot use pistol caliber rifles here in the backward state of Ohio. Sure wish we could!! 
Your suggestion of a .357 Handi would be a perfect sollution.
I would sell my USH and buy myself a 44mag Handi also!!

BR, Tom

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:01:22 AM »
Tom from reading your other post you are between a rock and a hard spot .This is not a slam on your girl or any others but if the USH is to heavy for her the recoil of the ULSH or the TrackerII is gonna be to much for her . I have a nephew that is in the same perdicament but we can't use 410's here either so it's acctually worse than your situation .I think what you should look at is the 410.If you hand load them in brass you should be able to come up with a load using your .44 bullets I know I can slip a 44xtp down my 410bbl it's not tight but if you use the right wad that would help it you will not get the benefit of any rifling and the bullet will tumble but you will at least get the kinetic energy from the heavy bullet VS a 93gr crumb of the 410 ball and if you keep her ranges short 35 to maybe 50 yrds you should be alright. You know from shootin your USH that it still packs a wallop and I got both the ULSH and Trackers in 20ga and in all honesty they wack me very hard also you know even though kids can shoot 20ga in trap loads it just ain't the same with a slug. If you spent some real time on your load you may even be able to find one of these cast bullet guys with just the right .44 sized bullet to fit a 410 better. Another option may be a 28ga bbl they are smooth bore but BPI has a 183gr ball and wad combo that should work well to 50yrds wish I could tell you of a conical bullets for the 28ga but there are several of us looking for one with no luck yet keep your eyes peeled for a old 28ga Foster slug mold they used to be out there but I ain't found one yet. Sorry can't help more. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"