Author Topic: Valley Forge Reenactment  (Read 1003 times)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Valley Forge Reenactment
« on: July 08, 2009, 01:53:20 PM »
I went to the Valley Forge reenactment for the 4th of July.  Here are a few photos of the cannon and crew.  I will post the videos as soon as they are finished uploading.  Dom

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Valley Forge Reenactment
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:24:24 PM »
That MUST have been a sight!

Thanks for posting the pix!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 02:46:11 PM »
Great photo's of the cannon....................... But where's the snow?  ::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:06:34 PM »
Dom, nice videos. I don't think I'd want to be standing as close to the  muzzle when it was touched off. Yeah, they
plugged one ear; but, I think they would still have ringing in their other ear.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:44:01 PM »
Thanks Dom, enjoyed the stills, and vids.

Added: One minor criticism of this reenacting crew would be that with all the time, and effort that they evidently put into looking period correct, I think they could afford to get rid of that galvinized water bucket, and get a proper wooden one.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 04:48:44 AM »
John: It's called, "field expediency". 

I just attended a lecture on Colonial Artillery and the presenter noted that the cast iron cooking pot was eventually shed for a tin one.

Makes sense to me. I served in an, "Underground Mess Kit Repair Battalion".

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 05:33:43 PM »
RC,
You're probably right, or maybe after all their expenditures on the gun, carriage, and outfits they have to save for a little while before they can afford a proper oak bucket. I got curious, so I went googlin', there are Amish made pine buckets that go for around thirty, but they're described as decorative, this one is definitely utilitarian. It seems a little high to me, but I'll defer to your judgement if this is a fair price, or not.   

Cannon Bucket
In the days before cannons were breech loaded (i.e. loaded from the back), a cannon would have to be "swabbed out" between firings with a rag or sponge on a stick dipped in water, and this bucket is what the "swab" would have been dipped into.  Our Cannon Bucket is built with a locking lid securely tied to bent steel handles  made by hand on our forge.  Height:  9", Diameter: 8.75" top, 9.5" bottom.

Price...$400.00
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 05:51:38 PM »
Of all places I used to find wood buckets in thrift shops,

they were leftovers from the 1960's & early 70's when the rustic colonial decor was in vogue.....

the most I ever paid for one was 5.00........ seek and ye shall find......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 04:34:12 AM »
Allen, around here I haven't seen to many thrift shops lately, I think these shopkeepers may have all gotten together in a conspiratorial fashion, and decided to change their job descriptions to: Dealers in Antiques. I don't frequent these "Antique Shoppes" all that much, but I've got the feeling that they would have a $100 price tag on the galvanized steel bucket, along with a description of it, as on its way to becoming rare. I tremble to think what price they would put on the wooden bucket that I posted, but that one would probably have the legend that George Washington took a sip of water from it (that is after they beat it up some).  :D 

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 07:34:39 AM »
We used to dine in a German restaurant in Ridgewood that recieved their herring in nice wooden buckets. The empties were always stacked-up on the sidewalk for the sanitation pick-up.  I still have one BUT my cannon bucket comes from  "Family Farm"; once called Central Tractor when it was better and I still raised beef cattle.  It is plastic and defies identifying it as such. I thought it was wooden and didn't realize that it wasn't, until I actually put it in my cart.  Close enough.

I used to work at a forge in a welding/blacksmith shop for a late friend. When I finished a piece, I'd hold it up and ask Bill, "How's this?"  He'd say, "Close enough. You can't see it from my house".

Where has all of the time gone?  On the up-side; I no longer have to tolerate or suffer fools. Actually; I never have.

rc 

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!