Author Topic: Found what I think is a GOOD FIND  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Dustyvance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Found what I think is a GOOD FIND
« on: July 08, 2009, 03:51:16 PM »
Hey Guys,

I was at my uncle's house the other day and he asked me to clean an old shotgun and keep it for him ( No more room in the safe and doesnt trust ppl in the "hood"). I brought it home , cleaned it up and lo and behold its is a Mod. 12 from 1953 thats been re-done inside and out. With out pics ( no camera), I waswondering on the value. It is a 12Ga. Mod. 12 FULL choked 32in. barrel. Wood, metal and action have all have been redone. Original parts on the wood not sure if action was gutted and replaced or not. Thanks in advance for any help. Just looking for ballpark est.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: Found what I think is a GOOD FIND
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:09:54 PM »
With what's been done to it there is no collector value (except to maybe a novice collector who is just starting out) but it should make a nice shooter.
I would guess, without seeing it, in the $250.00 to $400.00 range.
I also have a 1953 model in about 70% that I picked up for $260.00 a couple of years ago.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Dustyvance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 05:12:31 PM »
Thanks man. He is not looking to sell he was just wondering what he really had.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 05:25:34 PM »
Wow what a timely post , I have my Grandfathers 1946. He passed away and I inherited it. Thought about selling it for a moment as I don't bird hunt but couldn't bring myself to do it. I think of him every time I look at it. Serial number is 10222XX. 26" Barrel 12 GA , 2 3/4 Cham.  Improved Cylander.

Dukkillr provided me some background on it in another post.  He said it's the best quail shotgun ever made in his opinion. I believe my grandfather may have used it for pheasant. Plan on shooting it for 1st time this weekend.

Would be great if you could post a picture of yours.
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
There is some value in the 32" barrels and the majority of them are full since there isn't much of a calling for 32" barrels other than pass-shooting geese at extreme ranges.  There really weren't any turkeys back then... Does it have a 3" chamber? Vent rib?  Solid Rib? Serial numbers match?

If it's been "redone" it probably doesn't have too much for collection value.  Collectors generally look for good original bluing, original wood and butt plate and tight action. 

Of course there aren't many of them, so it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  I went to an auction two weekends ago that had several M-12s in it including a very nice 20ga 26" full with a Simmons rib and great bluing.  It went for about 50% more than I thought it was worth.  They also had a trench model that wasn't military issue that went for something like $850.00.  Unlike a 30" full or a 28" mod, your gun is unique enough that the value could fluctuate a fair amount. 

Offline Dustyvance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 03:36:23 AM »
Solid rib 3'' chambers looks great. Not for me though, My wheelchair makes movement in certain ways hard so it kicks me like a mule.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 07:07:47 AM »
Cool gun.  That solid rib is probably the best for collector value.  If the serial numbers match and the bluing and wood are original you're looking at a nice collectible gun.  I might be able to tell if you threw up some good pictures...

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 01:52:14 AM »
 I was recently given a model 12 20 ga with 2 barrel setups, one about 28" full & a 26" IC. The 2nd barrel has the pump & all attached. The SN shows DOB in 1946. It was the Grandfather's gun, & well used. I may set it up with the shorter barrel & try it out. I've got a little more of a full cleaning when I get a chance. I also went over a Rem "121" pump 22 & an older 870LW wingmaster 20 ga , both to go to other family members.
NRA, Veteran

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 05:28:45 AM »
Do the serial numbers on both barrels and the receiver match?  Do either barrels have a rib?  That would be a slick set, and one I'd like to have myself ;)

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 01:53:29 AM »
 Yes the serial numbers match on all 3, the action & both barrel sets. There is no rib on either. I gave it all a good cleaning & put on the shorter IC barrel set. It has 3 wooden forearms, I put the smaller 'corn cob' type on. The only issue I had was I could not get the mag tube completely apart where I could clean the inside & oil the tube spring. I quit before I did any damage but could not figure out the complete tube dis-assembly. Anyway it's pretty much good to go now.
NRA, Veteran

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 04:01:45 PM »
Interesting thread.  I was given a M12, 32", no rib, FC from a fellow whose father was the comptroller for Wichester in CT.  When he left the company in 1952, they gave him the gun as aparting gift and factory engraved his initials on the trigger guard.   The stock has some scratches on it from moving it from house to house for the last 50+ years, but, it's never been fired.  Wish he still had the box and any papers that went with it!!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!