Author Topic: Hey Drilling man!!  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Hey Drilling man!!
« on: July 09, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »

I saw your picture of the Drilling with the three different rounds in it. Can you explain a bit about just what you have there?

Do you have more Drillings? I don't think I've even taken the time to look at one before.

Thanks,
   Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hey Drilling man!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:58:20 AM »

I saw your picture of the Drilling with the three different rounds in it. Can you explain a bit about just what you have there?

Do you have more Drillings? I don't think I've even taken the time to look at one before.

Thanks,
   Rusty <><

I'm a two fingered typer so i'll cheat! lol  I posted this on another forum long ago, so i'll cut/paste it here for you...

My "old" drilling is a Krieghoff Semper Drilling 16-16-8x57jrs that was made in Oct. 1935...

It came to me in 1983 from someone i knew, that took it out of a castle durning WW2.  He took it durning a "sweep" looking for German soldiers.

By the time i got it, it was pretty beat up with dented shot bbls, blueing loss and a stock that was broken in several pieces, also the scope was missing, but the rifle bore was near perfect!!  It had not been fired much, and it spent most of it's life getting knocked around in a barn in California.  So, i set out to "restore" it and along the way turning it into to the gun "i always dreamed of owning".

When i was about 9 yrs old i was looking at a "Shooters Bible" my father had bought.  I, for the first time noticed some guns called "Drillings" and fell in love!  I tried and tried to get dad, who has also always liked the idea of combo guns, to buy one, but we were much too poor to beable to afford something like that.  I had the idea in my mind for many many years after that, to "one day" have one for my very own!

After looking over what i had, i made the missing stock pieces, repaired the stock and formed 20 cases out of 7x65R cases i already had on hand.  I then headed to the range to see how well it shoot, and i couldn't believe how well it grouped!  I decided right there to have what work i couldn't do myself, done by those that i thought was "best" for that part of the job even if it would be costly...  I'm very pleased with the way it came out.  I picked everything from the checkering to choke tubes..

The stock blank i used, came to me as a personal gift from Andy Garner, who sawed all of "Pachmayrs" wood for many, many years.  It's a "naturally grafted" Bastone/Circassian walnut that is very rare.  Andy told me he had only seen two of them in over 45 years of sawing, so he "saved it for something special".  He went on to tell me that he found the first one after only sawing for 2 or 3 years, and figured they weren't all that rare, so he sold it for $7.00!  He never saw another untill this one....

I'm left handed, so i had the safey moved to the right side, rolled forward, and the button extended...

I have "slide in" Krieghoff insert bbls chambered in 22lr and also 22 Win. Mag., that really makes this an excelent small game gun!  Each time you slide them in and lock them into place, they come back to zero perfectly!  I also have many more sub chambers ect... for it...

The scope is in a "claw" mount, so it comes off or goes on instantly.  And, every time it's installed, it also goes back to zero perfectly!  I haven't had to adjust the scope in over 20 years!

I also had choke tubes made for it...  They were made "just for this gun" and add to the versatility...

Over the years it's been a VERY effective gun for me, putting tons of meat in my freezer!!

I've hunted with my drilling from the costal temporate rain forest,

to Texas desert country,

to moose and bear ect.. in Alaska,

to many, many whitetails on my place here in the midwest...

And this nice "tom" i also harvested on my place with 1-1/4 oz of 6's...

And this grey fox i shot with the 22lr "insert bbl.",

Anyway, it's been a great hunting companion since the first time i pulled the trigger on it, and i can't even tell you how much pleasure it's brought me over the years!  I've owned several drillings since this one, but this one is the "keeper".....

I hope you enjoyed the story and pictures, and i'd be happy to answer any questions you may have...

DM

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »

WOW what a great story!

I've seen a few of those at gun shows but never knew anyone that actually put one to use. That is great, and you just can't beat that Germanic workmanship.

I've also read that some German aircraft were fitted with Drillings as part of their survival kits. That is a magnificent piece. thank you for sharing. As twisted as this may sound it's also good to see it being used. I bet the smiths that worked on such a piece would be pleased to know that as well.

Gute Nacht,
    Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »
Talk about versatility :o
Nice gun DM ;)

Spanky

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 04:49:23 AM »
 ;D
So you started off with a stolen gun. :D

If there is a Serial # visible I would be inclined to think that Krieghoff would know who the original owner was.

After all, " Ordnung muss sein".
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:14:39 AM »

I would be inclined to think that Krieghoff would know who the original owner was.

They would if we haden't bombed/burned the factories to the ground.   :o    Actually, i don't care who had it first...

Turned out to be a pretty good deal for $350.00, wouldn't you say?   :D

DM

Offline spruce

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 01:26:55 PM »
Great story, beautiful gun!