Author Topic: Test-Firing the Firelance aka Bomba aka Firestick, bronze, wood examples, cows  (Read 480 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
This video will probably raise more questions than it answers, but you may also find it interesting.  I do not recommend having your face as close to the muzzle of a loaded weapon as is shown in the video, that was beyond my control at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMzZ3CPgMrg

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Interesting, especially the Cedar Firestick.
In the last half minute of the video someone had what looked like a Flip video camera mounted on a tripod, how was it fastened to the tripod? Mine does not have any way to do that.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
In the last half minute of the video someone had what looked like a Flip video camera mounted on a tripod, how was it fastened to the tripod?

Supervisor tape?   ;)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Cannonmn,

Did the guy ever explain to you what purpose was served, by loading that asafoetida and artists lacquer concoction into the barrel. I looked up asafoetida, and one of its attributes when digested, is that it is reputed to lessen flatulence (never a bad thing).
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
That is a camera, and I guess he just bought one with a tripod mount in it.  Are you sure there isn't one on yours with a rubber plug in it so you can't see it or something?  Most cameras come with a female threaded socket for tripod.

There were two different purposes for the chemicals in the guns, one is of course propulsion of a projectile, and the other is incendiary effect.  Tne asa...? must be a part of the incendiary mix, as I would think is the special varnish.  There was other stuff they put in too, such as zinc.  Originally mercury was prescribed, but due to environmental issues zinc was substituted.  The measuring and mixing operation for just one load lasted I think over a half hour, and since you-tube limits the whole video to 10 minutes, there's a lot left on the virtual cutting room floor.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Cannonmn,

Did the guy ever explain to you what purpose was served, by loading that asafoetida and artists lacquer concoction into the barrel. I looked up asafoetida, and one of its attributes when digested, is that it is reputed to lessen flatulence (never a bad thing).

The lacquer (most likely being nitrocellulose-based) was probably used as a combustable binder.

I've got no clue about the other stuff.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes