Author Topic: Why Revolver Over Pistol?  (Read 3775 times)

Offline photobear

• Trade Count: (0)
Why Revolver Over Pistol?
« on: July 11, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »
Hi,

I'm brand new here and I'm looking to get a handgun for self-defense, primarily for at home and for when I go hiking in the woods. I've been reading the forums and it seems as though most people here are revolver users. I'm leaning that way myself for their simplicity and reliability, and because as I get older the slight arthritis I have in my joints is only going to get worse, so I figure it might be easier to use a revolver than to try working a heavy slide (I've tested them in stores). My question though is this: if revolvers seem to be the most logical way to go (I'm thinking of getting a .357 mag or 38spl + P in a 4" barrel), why do almost all police departments and the military use semi-autos? Am I making a mistake getting a revolver instead of a semi-auto?

I appreciate any help and opinions!

Thanks.

David

Offline rockbilly

Re: Why Revolver Over Pistol?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:13:25 AM »
The revolver is more dependable and much simpler for a novice to use.  AAs for the autos and military and police use it boils down to capicity and ease of reloading.  Most of the police and military guns are high capicity and carrying extra magazines is much easier than a speedloader.

The revolver will serve the needs of most people when they don't want or can't afford several different guns.  As for selecting a revolver stick with the .357 it give you a much larger range of ammo choice and is sufficent for self defense.  (You can shoot all the .38 special including +P in the .357 with no problem.)

Offline spruce

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:42:51 AM »
Most people here probably own both types, but tend to favor either one or the other for certain uses.

As rockbilly said the revolver is simple, dependable, and versatile.  It's available in powerful calibers with a wide variety of ammunition types suited to various tasks.  For example a .357 magnum can be used with shot loads for snakes, heavy hard cast bullets for bears, JHP's for personal defense, light wadcutters for targets, and all of these could be loaded in the cylinder at one time and all would function.

Semi-autos tend to be suited for more specific tasks.  The only task a military or police weapon has to accomplish is stopping a fight.  Semi-autos can be had in reasonably powerful calibers and can be had in light recoiling calibers, BUT not in the same gun.  A semi-auto that functions well with heavy loads generally won't function with light loads with out some modification (changing springs, etc).

Both types have their good points and bad points.  I own and enjoy both types, but if I were forced to make do with only one I would pick the revolver for it's versatility (let's hope it never comes to that!!).

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 08:46:53 AM »
I am also one that would go for the revolver.That being said I own both, but for a new shooter I think your choice ,4 inch 38/357 is excellant. Most of your practice can be with 38 Special and save the 357 for "other Needs".BUT you must practice with the ammo you will use for Self defense.       hth  Doug 
a armed man is his own master

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 09:08:29 AM »
One of the range officers showed me a technique last Sunday that if practiced can get all 6 out of your revolver faster than a semi, as he demonstrated for us to the surprise of a lot of folks, using my Model 10 .38 with a 4" barrel. Revolvers don't require the right charge to cycle the action. A failure to fire means pull the trigger again. I've swam with them and fired them wet - not optimum but worked. And they are always in condition one. I've got semis, but not for home defense; my wife and 16yo daughter aren't familiar enough with them to work the action. My 14yo son can by main strength, but its an extra step in an emergency. I've known lots of folks who because of age or life just can't rack the slide on a semi anymore, but are wicked fast and accurate with a good revolver.

As far as LEO and mililtary use, its all about capacity and least common denominator. Not all in uniform are great shots, or enjoy shooting. So give them enough ammo and they can accomplish the mission. Having recently returned from two tours to OIF with Marine Infantry, I can tell you they hate the Beretta. Even if its not fired, you have to clean it after every patrol just in case you may want to use it on the next one. When they work, they are for cover fire, not well aimed shots. When I left they were turning back in all the pistols and issuing M4s or shotguns to anyone who leaves the wire who would normally pack a pistol; pistols are for Fobbits. More than one crusty Gunner has said that he wished he could bring one of his personal revolvers from home, as they would continue to function in the climate, and 6 well aimed .357s are comforting backup.
held fast

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 09:14:35 AM »
Am I making a mistake getting a revolver instead of a semi-auto?

A lot of good advice.....I have both revolvers and semi-autos and concealed carry each depending on the situation...my 2 cents....

I think that a 4" revolver is absolutely fine for the intended use you have indicated.  In fact a 4" 357 Mag is darn near perfect for the uses you have indicated.

As to why the revolver has fallen out of favor with police, I think that has a lot to do with gang violence and Hollywood.  As an individual who can retreat from a fight, a revolver should be just fine.  If you want you can always buy a speedloader to have an second six rounds real handy.

This forum includes concealed carry interests.  A revolver's width can make concealed carry a little more difficult, which may be why you see so many comments in regards to semi-autos.  Also, some would want a much shorter and lighter handgun, which again favors composits over steel and both of those mean semi-autos.  A lot of the smaller concealed carry semi-autos only have six to eight rounds in single stacked magazines.  It is only the double stacked magazine that have the significant capacity and they can be an issue in concealability.

Offline photobear

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:05:42 PM »
Thanks, guys. All good points! I'm feeling better about my choice.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
If we all fell in love with the same woman it would be a hell of a fight.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 03:12:24 AM »
LEOs as a rule only have a side arm and need all the fire power one can carry. ( i dont miss my m65 as much anymore)  remember they are supposed to go into harms way and not run away.  the military should issue two types of firearms.  the m-9 for stateside MPs and remfs and something small light easy to carry (9mm?) to every one else so when eugene stoners toy stops going bang again ya got a backup.  3-4 inch D/A 357 its hard to find something better for all around use.
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 05:12:01 AM »
militery     lots   of bad guys over there
              lots of  good  guys  over  here
              direct fire power  over  there
              my  auto  jamb.....got 5 buddys  here  with  working  autos
police      one  bad  guy  over  there
               amongs a bunch  of  good guys
              high  cap/spray and pray??.......then  why  the  auto
              image............they don't want  to APPEAR  underguned
gbo  member    years  of  expeience  in  may different  situation

average  joe     will  own the gun  and  shoot  a little
                       what  is  safest?    simplest?     revolver
                       his  gun cant  jamb   ...he  will  be alone....or  with untrained family
you        seem  to be on the right  track
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Fairshake

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 03:06:26 AM »
As a former cop and firearms instructor I will chime in. The basic 357 3 or 4 in revolver is my choice for not only a first time buyer but old retired cop like myself. You just pick it up and fire. No slide to pull back like they do in the movies just before breaking in the door. After a little more than 6 years as a narcotics agent I can tell you that when I carried a semi-auto it was already charged when i exited the car. The movies and tv have a large influence on how people choose and fire their weapon. When training cops to go into a room to room search, we would laugh and ask them who they were going to shoot with the gun pointed in the air. Where did they get that was the proper way? Movies and TV The reason that the military carries the Beretta is politics. The Colt 45 is making a come back with the special ops groups as it should. The revolver can be just about a perfect choice for most people to use. You also don't have to go looking for your brass when it's empty. This argument has been going on since I first started fooling with guns in the sixties and will be going on after I'm gone.
Shooter of the Holy Black  NRA  CAS BOLD  WARTHOG  Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante  So that He Shall Never Be With Those Cold And Timid Souls Who Neither Know Victory Nor Defeat

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 11:31:04 AM »
When I decided to buy a gun for personal protection I went with a revolver, .357 with a 4 in barrel.  The reason I chose a revolver was for ease of operation, reliability, & familiarity.  I chose a .357 because it gives the option of practicing with lighter, cheaper .38 rounds, but still offers plenty of power when loaded with .357's.  I like the versatility.  Of course, that's just me.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 05:23:58 PM »
  Revolver, always. Working at a rental gun range for part time work I noticed the reliability difference between revolvers and semi-autos(Most major manufacturers). The comparison was laughable. Out of Glocks, Smiths, Rugers, Baby Eagles, Brownings, and Berettas, only the Beretta 92 even came close to revolver reliablity. 

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 07:34:49 PM »
Here are my thoughts on the subject. First and foremost I think the average Graybeard member is an outdoorsman not a personel defence "enthusiest". They aren't likely to wake up from a dream where they were stopping the LA bank robbery single handed. Secondly most members tend to be tradionalists at heart, where else are you going to find so much unabashed love for the 45/70 Gov't cartridge, and ridicule for anything with tactical in the name? Thirdly most know enough to know that a semi auto takes more experience to learn and use efficiently. Generally speaking you can't go wrong recommending a wheelgun. A pistol however, could, in the event of a stoppage or other manual of arms related incedent get you hurt or killed. Revolvers are more novice friendly so to speak.

Police are interested in the volume of fire that the pistol offers over a revolver. They are willing to take the time to train and learn the weapons idiosyncrises. An auto loader isn't all that hard to use nor is a higher quality model any less durable than a revolver of equal quality. If I had to shoot a pickup truck load of ammo I would probably choose a Glock over a Smith&Wesson as far as that goes.

Racking the slide is a legitimate concern if you are getting a weaker grip. There is no reason to feel under gunned with a revolver. Unless of course you are going to be stopping that insurrection of my dreams! I've split the difference with a seven shot auto. I just can't see carrying fifteen rounds on my hip it's just to heavy. One chance in a "brazillion" I'll ever need to fire it at someone anyway.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 02:09:17 AM »
For a handgun to load and toss in the sock drawer and rarely be fired. Never maintained or trained with, yet always ready for immediate use by pretty much anyone, a good DA revolver cannot be beat! I'd say it's the best choice for the majority of handgun owners. The .357 is probably the best choice. I own several revolvers from .22 thru .45 Colt. My personal preference for possible serious social encounters, Glock.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »
I bought my wife a stainless revolver several years ago.  I took her out, pointed to her target and said "shoot it". She hit six of six.  Now twice a year I make her dig it out and shoot it.

She could not rack the slide on my Beretta, nor could she shoot it nearly as well.

The only reason I have the Beretta is that it was my Dad's gun.  A wheelgun is alway the way to go for ease of use and reliability.

The Beretta has to be kept spankin' clean to function.  We've shot over 300 rounds through her revolver before cleaning.

Just my opinions........
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »
I have semi's.
I don't buy into the simplicity of a roller. What could be more simple Than a semi ?
It aint rocket science.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Lawndart

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 03:05:10 PM »
I suppose if you could only have one, a revolver would be a good choice.  I own both, but I tend to like high cap pistols or little tiny pocket guns....but I'd never slam a guy for wanting a good wheel gun.

Offline LouisianaMan

• Avid Poster
    • The Mangham Family in the Civil War
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 08:10:12 AM »
+1 on the revolver.

I've owned plenty of both, and carried autos during my military career. Love 'em all, and with appropriate training & practice either auto or revolver is completely suitable.

My wife & daughters have hand-strength issues, too, and they struggle with the slides on autos. This can be overcome with technique, but that takes practice.

Even more importantly, they can hit what they're shooting at for self-defense purposes, but they aren't "into" guns and so they don't practice. Therefore, they get confused over the difference between safety catches, takedown levers, magazine releases, etc. on an auto. On a DA revolver, it's point & pull. If a crisis ever occurs, and that's what self-defense is by definition, they can get a revolver into action and keep it going for a cylinder's worth, at least. That should be enough in most cases for civilians.

Cops & military face a different set of problems, such as large numbers of bad guys with lots of firepower, AND the requirement to go into harm's way. For civilian SD, you don't have to go after bad guys. . . .I was career Army, and was very comfortable with the M1911A1 and the Beretta--wouldn't have wanted a revolver.

For my personal SD/HD now, I'd be fine with an auto; however, I know that my revolver will sit there in its drawer or case, or under the bed, ready at any time with all springs AT REST. In other words, no need to swap out magazines to rest the springs as the months and years go by. Although modern auto pistol mags are highly reliable, I don't want my individual specimen to have a problem when I need it, so I eliminate that consideration and use a revolver. Plus, my girls can pick up any sidearm here and get it into action w/o hesitation.
"Oh, for a touch of the vanished hand and the sound of the voice that is stilled."

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 04:39:10 PM »
I have semi's.
I don't buy into the simplicity of a roller. What could be more simple Than a semi ?
It aint rocket science.
Blessings

Well Mr. Layton Sir, you've stopped preachin' and gone to meddlin'.  ;D
held fast

Offline Savage

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 05:06:55 PM »
William is right!  Bottom feeders aren't rocket science. Still, allowing for the lowest common denominator, revolvers have an edge in reliability in unskilled hands.  Assuming the trigger is not short stroked, anyway. Nothing is fool proof.
Savage

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 05:54:01 PM »
The reply---here I am meddilin agin---was a simple statement.
If you own any weapon, its use being intended for self protection (self preservation), be it a breakdown .410 singleshot or Mas Duece, it seems to me that one does not just acquire it, load it up and say---"Come and get it boys, I'm ready."
There must be some amount of search and discovery. One must at least know where the trigger is, how too load and unload, which way too point it and know what is going to happen when the trigger is pulled. Just that little thing called recoil can be your undoing if you discover it under stressful situations.
That said, semi's are pretty dang simple too learn too operate and can be, under stressful situations, a lot easier too shoot a number of times.
Less complicated just should not be one of the equasions for the purpose of this discussion.
NOW, turn too hymn 432 in the pew songbook. We will sing the 1st, 2nd and 4th verses. Anyone who feels led by the spirit should come forward, confess his sin and repent of calling my semi-auto's complicated. :D
Now you can call my wife complicated and I will agree----but that is not a sin that leads too death.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 01:52:23 AM »
William,
 Good post! You nailed it. Absolutely correct William! Unfortunately wayyyyyyyy too many people never familiarize themselves with their emergency equipment. How many people carry a first aid kit or fire extinguisher and have no idea what it's contents are, or how to use them....... Sad, but true.
Savage

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 06:03:02 AM »
Now this may be a little off topic but I talk to way to many people that have this safe feeling cause they HAVE and gun and NOT cause they know how to use it Be it a wheel gun or auto. Me.. I like revolvers for the reliability. I like auto's but have just had way to many problems with them and for normal carry just prefer a good wheel gun. Thats not to say I won't carry a semi depending on the situation.. Most of this boils down to personal preference I would say.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 10:06:29 AM »
Well, anyone who buys/is given/acquires a weapon of any kind, and, feels safe just because they have it is akin to buying a 16 year old a car, giving him/her the keys---no instructions or training and say have a good time---you have just created a statistic---not a good one either.
If you have had a poor experience or many poor experiences with semi's then I would question the caliber of gun you are getting too protect your life.
I certainly would not buy a Rossi for self protection.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 03:45:49 PM »
a good sig or well made semiauto is fine.. but ny experience with the aluminum semis
 just wasn t sure enough to trust my life on one anymore.. i now carry a smith snubby revolver ,,,with a rnd i can hit with.. i feel like its just a more sure ccw... any ofum needs be kept clean though.. good luck slim

Offline photobear

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 02:15:27 PM »
Thanks to you all! One last question...is there any disadvantage to carrying a snubbie instead of a 3-4" barrel? Is it noticeably less accurate at self-defense range or harder to shoot?

Bill

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 02:34:10 PM »
"Is it noticeably less accurate at self-defense range or harder to shoot?".  Neither.

"is there any disadvantage to carrying a snubbie instead of a 3-4" barrel?".  Nope. 

Hope this helps...............

Offline B2crawler

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 07:01:10 PM »
I bought a 686+ 7 shot 357 snubby.  For having a 2.5 inch barrel it's crazy accurate.  All seven shots will send a tin can rolling at 25 yards.  Awesome trigger helps in this department.  It carries in a good inside the waste band holster just fine.  Can actually sit down without stabbing yourself.  This has become my go to hiking,ccw,truck,and house gun.  Very versatile.

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 09:42:57 PM »
While I like my snubbies, for ranges longer than SD (10m) I like a 4-5" barrel. My Taurus 606 snubbie hefts like a cinder block so if I miss them with 6 I can use it for blunt trauma. All it needs is a bayonet lug. 
held fast