Author Topic: Colonial "Stone House Tour Day" at Hurley NY  (Read 441 times)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Colonial "Stone House Tour Day" at Hurley NY
« on: July 11, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »
This is essentially what remains of a Dutch/Colonial village with people still living in these 17th & 18th c. stone houses. It's a regular community with its post office, bank, shops, etc., with 19th & 20th c. houses throughout.  Every year, they host an open house tour. The grounds are used for various period activities.

Really neat! (If I were under 20, I'd say, "Really cool") :P

No face painting; no balloons; no tube steaks & burgers; no hawking; just life as it was.

This swivel gun (sorry! No powder can. He wasn't one of us) is bronze and cast by a man in Vermont. I understand he had cast no more than a dozen pieces and sold them in the rough for $350 each.  I believe the bore is 1.25". He purchased it at a Fort Ticonderoga reenactment.

I suggested he google and sign-on with Graybeard and look-up Dom Carpenter among others. He said that cannon makers are scarce and only knew of Hern.

The grenade mortar is from Coolville. I have Paul (the owner) visiting our board and he will sign on. He is the Colonial Artillery lecturer I mentioned in another post. Nice fellow.

He launches socks with a film can charge of Fg.  Thanks to El Cazador's helping me find a mail order powder seller; I passed the info on to this gentleman too.

He is a stickler for authenticity and had first fashioned a base from Curly Maple but then made the regulation base. I told him to look-up Dom Carpenter  for a steel replacement to keep his curly maple base working.

Thank goodness Double D didn't get to him or he would have painted the curly maple ;D

Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Colonial "Stone House Tour Day" at Hurley NY
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:58:47 PM »
Wow, That is really Cool. Great pictures. Thankyou for sharing. For occasions like this you could scan(if you have a scanner)
a powder can and print it out on paper and then use it for size comparisons.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:43:45 AM »
For occasions like this you could scan(if you have a scanner)

I've thought of doing just that.  Then I could print them at various scales - like to show that I was using really huge firecrackers!   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 02:37:33 AM »
Wow, That is really Cool. Great pictures. Thankyou for sharing. For occasions like this you could scan(if you have a scanner)

Yes I can see it now a huge can of powder photo shopped into a photo of a  siege gun making it look like a toy.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:51:27 AM »
Most people are familiar with common index cards.

A 3" x 5" index card could be a good scale indicator for small-to-medium cannons and mortars, especially a card with a grid of 1" squares drawn on it.

Inexpensive, much easier (and less obvious) to carry than an empty BP can, and disposable.

My wife always has a bunch of index cards for work (day care). Now that I think about this, I should make up a few and put them in my camera bag.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:33:46 AM »
Well I would always look to the immediate at hand for any solution. Use a "Greenback" to indicate size. 

He told me that the seller at time, only had two left. I would have sprung for both pieces.

rc

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »
Good job RC, really enjoyed the pics of both the swivel gun, and the G-Rex coehorn. Yeah, $350 is not bad at all; does your post above this one mean that the man has two guns left, or are you saying that if he did, that you'd buy them? The only thing I don't understand/like on the gun is why/how the maker attached the tiller.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »
John: The guns were sold long ago. Buyer told me he couldn't remember the seller's name or I'd be looking.  Someone reading this board should/might know him.

It almost seems to me that the seller may have even bought a dozen lot from somewhere out of the country?  India?  The source dried-up?

Why only cast a dozen if you've got a good thing?  Sooner or later they will sell and if they don't go right away....... they don't eat.......so keep them until they do!

Vermont........who knows the man who cast bronze swivel guns that may be a French and Indian War or Revolutionary War type who goes/went to Fort Ticonderoga?

Yo! Come-on; step up to the plate.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »
John: I just googled BRONZE SWIVEL GUN and guess what......Check Cannon Mania. They have the swivel in rough cast (the way this one came) and it is the same piece. It's $550 so that would mean to me that the Vermont seller went to Cannon Mania's source and could market it for $350 back when. The tiller here, does look odd.....like a cob-job.

rc