Author Topic: Elk , Antelope  (Read 1327 times)

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Elk , Antelope
« on: September 25, 2003, 05:26:02 AM »
:D My buddy just got back from Wyoming and Colorado. He shot a bull elk with his bow in Wyoming and an antelope with the rifle in Colorado. Does anyone else have anything to report yet? I didn't get any western permits this year.

Offline SAWgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
Elk , Antelope
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 07:42:50 AM »
My buddy missed a 5X5 with his bow here in CO the opening weekend of Bow season.  I scared up two bulls and seven cows at the ranch in WY, so I know where I will be when gun season opens.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
Elk , Antelope
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 10:58:41 AM »
Well, the wife shot this nice antelope buck here in NM last weekend.  Everything else is yet to come.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Struck out this elk season
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 12:39:32 PM »
On the second day of my cow archery hunt here in Arizona I arrowed a large cow that was being herded by a bull.  Found the arrow that passed through, but after many days of searching haven't found the cow.  Looked like a good hit.  Really dissapointing!

Had intercepted the bull and his harem as they were moving and let the first two cows pass, then put an arrow through the third one that was being prodded along by the bull.  Elk tracks everywhere, but no blood at the site of the hit.  Later found a short blood trail about a 1/4 mile away.  Played tag with that bunch for the next few days after.

Offline wyote

Elk , Antelope
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 09:48:01 PM »
I drew a pistol/muzzleloader hunt down on So Pass for antelope. Shot a 13 inch buck with my 45 colt on my first morning. I filled a couple of doe antleope tags around here in the last couple of weeks.
for every law thats passed alittle freedom dies

Offline crow_feather

Elk , Antelope
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 04:59:47 PM »
DesertRam,

That is a beautiful picture - antelope looks good too.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
Elk , Antelope
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 01:52:21 PM »
I just got in from my Mule Deer hunt and did tag a buck. Saw quite a few but not as many as last year. Some hunting pressure has been reduced by making former drive in areas walk in only. Don't really know what to think about this rule when it is applied to public land. I hunt on private land so it is not an issue for me but I know a lot of older guys that have had to just give up hunting altogether cause they can't get back far enough to make it worth thier while. Elk season starts tomorrow so I'm headed back up the mountain later tonight. Good luck to everybody.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline elkfitter

• http://www.rockymountainhunting.com
Elk , Antelope
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 08:49:13 AM »
Desert Ram
Very nice pic and lope.

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
Elk , Antelope
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 03:30:33 AM »
Thanks for the kind words fellas.  Sounds like some of you are making out okay this season.  I hope our family's luck holds through my elk season in December.

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
Elk , Antelope
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 03:52:09 AM »
Here's the buck I got this last weekend in Montana.  We saw lots of antelope, and lots of nice bucks.  Of course, after I got this one, I saw the big boy.........

Regards,

Tom

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Elk , Antelope
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 12:17:25 PM »
Tom, that looks to be all of hmmm. . . 14".  I would think that is a nice one.  I probably guessed short but I am in Michigan and it is hard to see from here to way out there :lol: .  Nice lope.  Congrats.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
Elk , Antelope
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2003, 10:25:53 AM »
I measured that buck today - it's 13" and doesn't score all that high.  I saw some bigger bucks while hunting that would probably go 15" and score quite a bit higher.  I still am happy with this one, though... :grin:
Regards,

Tom