Author Topic: Beginning "THE" Build! Armstrong cannon  (Read 575 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Beginning "THE" Build! Armstrong cannon
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »

Last year I had done a teaser as about a build I was planning .

A  20MM model of the Armstrong gun,

as most of you know M'Lady Carol & I have been dealing with medical issues, she has been in remission,
and is recovering slowly from everything, my issues will not go away any time soon, since things have
gotten to a point of normalcy (What's normal?) I need a well deserved diversion!

SO IT HAS BEGUN!  ;D

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline KABAR2

Re: Beginning "THE" Build! Armstrong cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »

Now eveyone jokes about M&T needing 1:6 th Scale artilleryman.....

Let me introduce my assistant who is kindly holding the trunnion in
it's rough form ,

And Albert with a gathering of materials for the build............

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:19:37 PM »
Alright Allen, you've begun the beginning. :)  Keep us up to date on this one, I'm curious about how you're going to design the breechblock.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »
Nice going Allen.  Great start.  You're on a roll.  Uncle Albert looks stoned.  Keep the Beatles playing for him and you'll have it done soon enough 8)

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:35:06 PM »
We extend our continued best wishes for a speedy recovery to your Lady, Carol.

Looks like  this might be a very interesting build..

I sure hope posting Albert, doesn't start a flame with the pirate skeletons than show up around every once in a while.  Albert looks like a decent fellow, stoney face not with standing. Those other guys well they look like  pirates.    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:13:05 PM »
Nothing the matter with looking stoned.  As a matter of fact small stones were some of the first projectiles.

Keep up the picture sequences - these are the ways we all learn!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 04:18:15 PM »
We extend our continued best wishes for a speedy recovery to your Lady, Carol.

Looks like  this might be a very interesting build..

I sure hope posting Albert, doesn't start a flame with the pirate skeletons than show up around every once in a while.  Albert looks like a decent fellow, stoney face not with standing. Those other guys well they look like  pirates.    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank you for the well wishes, her main fight now is with neuropathy & pain from it,
the doctor says it could take 2 to 3 years before she sees improvement.

Albert isn't stoned......just has that look from thinking what did I get myself into........

I used to collect 1:6th scale military figures, which included building some stuff from scratch,

while others built diorama's depicting the war, I concentrated on the home front, and had built a section of factory, an Ordnance plant,

I used to use Albert in that venue also, so in a way I guess he may be my older alter ego   ::)

I plan to do this as a photo build as it progresses with explanations when needed

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »
Kabar -

You've got your priorities right - taking care of the Rib first, and then sucking in a few fun things to do along the way.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »
Kabar -

You've got your priorities right - taking care of the Rib first, and then sucking in a few fun things to do along the way.

Well I guess I'm what you call a wild geese........ they have their mate for life.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
     Allen,   Looking good!  Our continued best wishes to you and yours.  You're off to a great start, and anyone who uses Dykem like you do cannot fail!  Mike and I had a Gunsmithing School instructor who promoted the use of that magic fluid as an insurance policy.  He was correct, you can use machine-tool Dials or Digital Readouts, but if you go beyond your scribed line, you have probably made a typical .100" or .200" error. We affectionately named him Dykem Dick and remember his lessons well.  The smell of the stuff is second only to the smell of the Mimeograph Machine fluid I recall from my 4th grade classroom.  We can't wait to see the breech take shape.  Your photos are excellent, please continue to include lots of in-process shots.  Love 'em!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 01:11:37 AM »
Thanks T&M,

Dykem is your friend! I learned that both in high school when they still actually taught machine shop and at Gunsmithing school,
I have also learned that my old MK I* eyeball has changed over the years, they are 49 years old now and can not decern a one one thousandths cut
on the lathe like they used to at 21, I used to be able to look at a piece of steel in the lathe and turn it down to one one thousandths of an
inch of the final product by eye, never bothered with those little marks on the dial........ So yes Dykem, a micrometer & Caliper are all good!  ::)