Author Topic: Cannon pics from Fort MacArthur  (Read 554 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Cannon pics from Fort MacArthur
« on: July 13, 2009, 07:45:33 PM »
 I didn't have much time at the fort's event yesterday, but I did get a few crummy cell phone pics...

General MacArthur, getting ready to address his victorious troops after a mock WWII battle against the Japs...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Cannon pics from Fort MacArthur
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »
No complaints from me; I like seeing 3-inch ordnance rifles, and bronze mt. howitzers even when the pics are a little hazy, thanks Victor. :D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:32:10 PM »
Thankyou for the cell phone pictures. Any kind of picture is better than nothing.
What is the 3rd & 4th one down?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 08:52:54 PM »
Thankyou for the cell phone pictures. Any kind of picture is better than nothing.
What is the 3rd & 4th one down?

3rd is an Ager "Coffee Mill" Gun, the 4th is a Gattling.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the pix.  All the guns look like replicas-were they?

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
Thanks for the pix.  All the guns look like replicas-were they?

I believe so. The Parrott had a PBO nameplate on the carriage. The hand-crank guns looked like new, so I assume they must be repros.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:38:26 AM »
No complaints from me; I like seeing 3-inch ordnance rifles, and bronze mt. howitzers even when the pics are a little hazy, thanks Victor. :D

Parrott! Victor, I told you that these photos were just too foggy to post on the board, why people won't even be able to distinguish a Parrott rifle from Griffen's masterpiece. :D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.