Author Topic: Reloading myths, facts, and BS  (Read 3473 times)

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Re: Reloading myths, facts, and BS
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2009, 07:50:21 AM »
Travis Morgan I don't know what you are loading but my loads of 45 Gr of powder is suppost to get 155 rounds per pound of powder. I probley get 150.
 I also have to pay a lot more for bullets, and primers than you say you do. Also you did not mention the cost of brass.
  Yes it is still cheaper than buying over the counter, but not all that much.
                       Beerbelly

don't forget about the $1500 in equipment you end up with as reloading becomes a hobby all it's own. Cheaper my foot, why I've saved so much money reloading I'm gonna have to build a $2000 shop to put all that stuff I saved money on inside

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2009, 07:52:12 AM »
Travis Morgan I don't know what you are loading but my loads of 45 Gr of powder is suppost to get 155 rounds per pound of powder. I probley get 150.
 I also have to pay a lot more for bullets, and primers than you say you do. Also you did not mention the cost of brass.
  Yes it is still cheaper than buying over the counter, but not all that much.
                       Beerbelly

I edited to fix the miscalculation using 45 gr. as an average, and still ended up only paying 28 cents per round or $140/500. If you make more, it get cheaper. Typically, if you buy 5 or 8lb. jugs, you'll save at least $20-30. If you buy primers by the thousand, you save again. I generally get my brass for free, either off the range or from students and non reloading friends.

If bullets are that high in your area, you should just order them by mail. You see some real savings when you buy more than 250 at a time. I generally avoid Barnes and some other makers, as I can't shoot good enough to see a hell of a lot of difference right now, and their bullets are at least four times more expensive.

You're also forgetting the difference in quality; once I find a load that my gun likes, I can tinker with it and produce substantially more accurate ammo. I also don't have to pay a premium for reduced recoil loads for my kid or other specialty ammo.
The first step towards liberty is an act of defiance!

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 07:57:19 AM »
don't forget about the $1500 in equipment you end up with as reloading becomes a hobby all it's own. Cheaper my foot, why I've saved so much money reloading I'm gonna have to build a $2000 shop to put all that stuff I saved money on inside

Actually, I paid $50 for the press and about $30 on average for a set of dies, $4 for shellholders, $20 for manuals, and about $50 for a decent scale.

You forgot to mention the cost of the gun, optics, cleaning stuff, tools, a truck, insurance, gas, oil, gun club memberships, NRA dues, etc..

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2009, 08:08:36 AM »
The mail lady just dropped off a 100 count box of .312 , 174 gr RN Hornady's. With shipping $35.00. That is from Midway. The first Large rifle primers  I have found in I don't know when was at my local gun shop. The price had gone to $45 a thousand. About the same as on line order with shipping and has-mat fee. My Brass runs with shipping about .50 cents each. With the higher prices on everything and me on the fixed income, I won't be doing as much shooting as in the past.
 Hell maybe that is the plan.
                                      Beerbelly

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 08:16:31 AM »
Get together with other local shooters and order your primers in lots of at least 10,000; that'll save on Haz-mat, shipping, etc..

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 08:53:14 AM »

Actually, I paid $50 for the press and about $30 on average for a set of dies, $4 for shellholders, $20 for manuals, and about $50 for a decent scale.

OH you're just getting started! Kinda like a newlywed couple with no bills and a little apartment

Can I load ammo cheaper than retail....SURE

have I saved money.....NO

I've said this before, reloading will NOT save you money, because once you get into reloading you'll simply shoot more and more and more. Then it gets real bad and you find yourself going to the range to shoot so you can free up some cases and space to reload more. Then in the terminal phase you start buying or even dreaming up weird crap to reload for just for the challenge, IE my 30PPC Largo bench gun

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 09:06:29 AM »
    Actually, I also have a Dillon progressive bolted to an end table in front of the T.V., dies for a bunch of different calibers, and I cast bullets in many different shapes and sizes. I'm also a member at two different gun clubs, and RSO at one, and I RSO full-time at an indoor range in the winter.

Before my back surgery, I was shooting cowboy action, IDPA and IPSC, and was looking for a three gun comp. to get it. If we had any long range matches close, I'd be into that, too. I'm actually trying to figure out how and where to start that one on my own. I also hunt, and used to work for outfitters.

At this point, I'm afraid it's surpassed simply being a sickness.   ;D

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »
P.S.~What brass isn't in current circulation is backed up by boxes and baggies of once fired stored in the garage. If I loaded it all up, I could start an ammo business.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2009, 09:21:03 AM »
Each gun is different in the load it shoots best . Fact some of the time and BS some of the time . Depends on which guns you compare .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »
here is another one:

If its in the book, its safe
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 09:29:33 AM »
here is another one:

No doubt! I have a book that shows a huge overload using H335 with 150grn bullets in 303 british

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 09:58:54 AM »
here is another one:

No doubt! I have a book that shows a huge overload using H335 with 150grn bullets in 303 british

Yep reference the latest Hornady loading manuals and of course the correction pages that go with them.

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 10:36:34 AM »
here is another one:

I've been quoted .45 Colt loads from the latest Hornady manual that are close enough to Linebaugh's max load for Large frame Rugers to be scary as hell outta anything else.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
"Never once did I mention "fact". Drivel on...........'

If it ain't fact, it's fiction.  AKA, myth.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2009, 12:29:08 PM »
So, since you're not an expert, you're an XXXXX? Kinda harsh in your black and white world, isn't it?  :'(

Offline wncchester

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2009, 03:21:24 PM »
"So, since you're not an expert, you're an XXXXX? Kinda harsh in your black and white world, isn't it? "

????  Name calling is an intellectually weak argument.    ;D

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2009, 03:41:11 PM »
We'll take these one at a time, from a BR rifle shooter's perspective

Myth:  Seating rifle bullets at the lands gives best accuracy.  Not necessarily, but sometimes

Myth:  Neck sizing for rifles gives best accuracy.  Not necessarily, but sometimes

Myth:  Trimming all cases precisely square and to the same length gives best accuracy.  Usually true in a bench gun 

Myth:  Weighing powder charges (or cases) to .1 gr. gives best accuracy a good harrell measure is all that BR shooters need  They are so accurate and repeatable that I very rarely weigh chanrges anymore except in extreme weather

Myth:  Tumbled/polished cases makes more accurate ammunition.  Cleaned necks, inside and out, improve accuracy  this is best done by hand

Myth:  Seating dies with micrometer heads give more accuracy than those that don't.  Seating a bullet to the best depth gives the best accuracy.  Micrometer seaters just makes the process repeatable

Myth:  Brand "X" dies are made to "tighter tolerances" than other brands. You'll see Wilson and Redding on the line most out of the commercial dies, but everybody makes good ones

Myth:  "Free floating" barrels enough to slip a dollar bill down the barrel channel gives best accuracy. Free floating was one of the first, best means of accurizing a hunting rifle.  ALL bench guns are free floated.  The action set bedding is the critical part

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline wncchester

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2009, 04:57:23 PM »
"We'll take these one at a time, from a BR rifle shooter's perspective"

You make my point(s);   "sometimes" suggestions don't make facts, right?   :D

And, surely no one would have thought I was addressing the BR crowd. ???   Little of what they do has any real application to us common folk with factory rifles, which was actually a big part of what I meant.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2009, 05:07:51 PM »
You're totally right on, wncchester.  I started out with a Lee challenger press, lee measuring spoons, a couple of other doodads, and shot every bit as well with my newbie handloads as I did with good factory ammo.

The rest of the stuff is for us Monk type OCD accuracy nuts and the snake oil that we rub on our bullets ;D
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2009, 09:28:34 PM »
You're totally right on, wncchester.  I started out with a Lee challenger press, lee measuring spoons, a couple of other doodads, and shot every bit as well with my newbie handloads as I did with good factory ammo.

The rest of the stuff is for us Monk type OCD accuracy nuts and the snake oil that we rub on our bullets ;D

Yeah, I bet you were a regular one hole shooter back then.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2009, 11:49:35 PM »
This thing is about to run its course , so -- Play nice or don't play !

ONE MORE TIME AND I"LL DUMP THIS WHOLE THREAD - UNDERSTAND !![/b]

Stimpylu32
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2009, 02:00:12 AM »
    Well, it was going pretty good before the "experts" let their egos out of the horsetrailers they haul 'em in.  ;D

How about we just dump the offending posts and continue on? I meant this to be instructional for newer reloaders, not a contest for the world's championship of armchair snipers!

If some of you guys would actually go out and shoot once in a while, your egos might deflate a bit. Some days, mine's plumb flat and has a big tear down the side!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2009, 03:45:02 AM »
OK fellas - Isn't this why there are myths and truths? What works for one does not work for another - based on their own experiences and expectations? Because it works for me and does not work for you doesn't make it a fact or a myth. It makes it an interesting talking point - a discussion if you will. I will take just one example - seating bullets into the lands leads to better accuracy. This is nether a fact that covers all rifles nor is it myth (BS if you will). I have guns that most definitely shoot better when the bullet is snugged right up to the lands. I also have guns, that when I try that, they just do not shoot that well and most definitely shoot better off the lands. So is it fact or BS? Neither, you can prove it or disprove it - for one gun; but you can't prove it in all guns. This is how a lot of truths get perpetuated. Some gun writer tries some thing and it works. He publishes his findings and the next thing you know, it came down from God. It may apply to you or it may not apply. Does that make it BS or a truth? - Neither; because some times it is true and some times it is not. That can be proven easily enough. I could on and on about each and every point, but mostly it is it works for me or doesn't work for me, so is it BS or it is a truth -neither. Other things cannot be proven by yourself or by most folks - or people just do not want to take the time to prove it out - they just take others word for it or make a logical guess. If you really wanted to find out which die sets the straightest bullets, you have to purchase every one's dies, and make measurements of run out before (on the neck) and after seating the bullet. Measure each one and have a sample larger enough to determine a Standard Deviation for each die. After doing all of that you could come up with - it doesn't make a difference which die you use or this particular die is best - but even that can change from 1 die set to another from the same manufacture. So how do you prove it out? You really can't - you do as a reloader what you feel good about. I personally feel good about Forster and Redding Seating dies. I feel good about The wilson dies, but do not want to mess with an arbor press or beating them with a mallet. Can I prove they seat bullets better that a Lee die or a plain Jane RCBS die - not really, but it makes me feel better and I seem to get good results from them too. Low bullet run out - but the sizing has a lot to do with bullet run out too - if you do not have a straight neck - you are not going to have a straight bullet. So is it the seater or is the sizing that makes the difference? Here we go again.

Pressure signs - truth or myth? This is a big one, because for the most part you can not prove it, yourself. Back when pressure testing equipment wasn't available or too expensive, the only thing available to the handloader, and to a certain extent reputable resources, was "signs". Argue all you want, signs work sometimes and some times they do not. There were many a wildcatter that worked up loads to the signs. the 22 Varminter is a prime example. It was touted as getting as much velocity as a 220 Swift, less barrel wear, less powder with the same weight bullets. When Remington picked it up as the 22-250, it did not have as much velocity as the 220 Swift, why, because they found the "standard" loads for it were way too hot. I have 1 223 that I developed a pet load for. Using the manufactures reloading data I worked up a very accurate load and was .2 grains below their max. Everyone else's data showed it way over, but you figure the manufacture should know what they are doing. No case stretching, no sticky bolts (it was smooth going in and out), the primers were still rounded and the corners were not sharp, no primer cratering or piercing, and the pockets were still tight after 3 rounds of loadings. Life was good. Then I got a chronograph. Naturally I wanted to run my pet load over it to see what I was getting. Almost 3700 fps with a 50 grain bullet :o OOPS. I should be in the 3400 fps range max. I immediately dropped the load 2 full grains. I was now getting 3350 fps, more in line with everyone's data. The following year the powder manufacturer dropped their max loads - more in line with others data. What does it prove - nothing. After many years of loading and I fancy myself a fussy reloader; I use reliable published data from as many sources as I can lay my hands on, signs + in the last year or so a Chronograph. When every thing aligns, I think I am OK -but I do not know for sure what pressure I am getting. So are pressure signs BS or are they fact - neither. That is the whole point of this (my) posting. So called myths or truisms are gained from personal experience - and everyone has different experiences, with different reloading equipment, their individual guns. After you accumulate your experiences and formulate your way of doing things, you feel it is now fact -and that is what shapes our opinions. What is one man's fact is BS to another. Once we make up our minds about some thing - let's admit it - our egos start getting in the way of reason. There are just so many variables in reloading, expectations, and the guns them selves. That is what perpetuates "BS" and truths. A very good subject, but open to a lot debate - because most of it can not be proven one way or another. Sometimes this; some times that....

Sorry I got to rambling as I often do. The point I guess, is we all have different experiences and formulate our thoughts and practices on those, just because someone has come to a different conclusion, does not mean they are spouting BS. Remember when you say always or never, more than likely you are wrong.

Good Luck to all and most certainly Good and safe Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2009, 03:48:42 AM »
Myth:  "Free floating" barrels enough to slip a dollar bill down the barrel channel gives best accuracy. Free floating was one of the first, best means of accurizing a hunting rifle.  ALL bench guns are free floated.  The action set bedding is the critical part

The problem with this myth is that the thickness of a dollar bill is not enough clearance to always prevent barrel contact when fired.  This myth apparently started when the slick writers started fiddling with their hunting rifles and just barely relieved all pressure points; a dollar bill of thickness seemed enough.  These guys didn't realize how much a skinny factory barrel whips around when fired and back then they didn't like the looks of a lot of barrel clearance either.  (Jack O'Connor even blasted early post-60s M70 rifles for having enough room around the barrel for a small dog to crawl into - or some similar animal.)

I challenge anyone to find a serious BR rifle built with such a tight barrel/stock tolerance.  Ditto most factory "accuracy" rifles.  While 'free-floating' is good, a skinny 'dollar bill' of clearance is not.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2009, 05:05:43 AM »
Travis,

Even when I do load up for accuracy, those dadgum bug holes still elude me :D.  I never was a "one holer", but I shoot OK for a casual hole puncher.  I've parked the bench gun in favor of shooting plates and pins.  It is way more fun for me to melt a bunch of lead, cast some bullets, and shoot like crazy for just 20 bucks.  I've squeezed the trigger more times in the past 6 months than I had in the past ten years.  Whoopieeee ;)

Lone Star, yea, I didn't catch the clearance issue.  Of course, you are right again!!!  I use 2 layers of thick duct tape, about 1/8th inch (really, I just pay Mr. Baker at Baker's Guns to do it now :))

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2009, 05:13:30 AM »
BTW, I hope that none of my posts have been offensive to any of you.  They sure weren't intended to be.  I love conversing with you folks, and I like to talk about small groups because I like to try to shoot them.  There is no substitute for practice, and the best reloading techniques will only bring you as far as your ability.

The average handloader shooting a deer or two per year can just load for consistency and safety and do a great job.  If you are a varmint hunter, though, you'll need some snake oil to hit those dogs at 150+.

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
OK fellas - Isn't this why there are myths and truths? What works for one does not work for another - based on their own experiences and expectations? Because it works for me and does not work for you doesn't make it a fact or a myth. It makes it an interesting talking point - a discussion if you will. I will take just one example - seating bullets into the lands leads to better accuracy. This is nether a fact that covers all rifles nor is it myth (BS if you will). I have guns that most definitely shoot better when the bullet is snugged right up to the lands. I also have guns, that when I try that, they just do not shoot that well and most definitely shoot better off the lands.

There will always be certain caveats; if your rifle has an excessively long or burned out throat, this won't work. With some rifles, this will be over length for the magazine. These rules pretty much assume your rifle's within specs.

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2009, 09:16:27 AM »
Travis,

Even when I do load up for accuracy, those dadgum bug holes still elude me :D.  I never was a "one holer", but I shoot OK for a casual hole puncher.  I've parked the bench gun in favor of shooting plates and pins.  It is way more fun for me to melt a bunch of lead, cast some bullets, and shoot like crazy for just 20 bucks.  I've squeezed the trigger more times in the past 6 months than I had in the past ten years.  Whoopieeee ;)

Ditto. Find someplace that needs crows or varmints thinned out. Cast bullets will work just fine, it's fun, and you don't feel as dumb for buying things you're just gonna tear up.

Do you have any cast bullet loads for .30-30 or .30-06 you'd care to share offline?

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2009, 09:33:33 AM »
  If you are a varmint hunter, though, you'll need some snake oil to hit those dogs at 150+.

Takes thick skin to play ball with gun nuts LOL.

I am a serious pd shooter and I do what works ....myth or no myth. I have a whole collection of very accurate rifles built exclusively for that purpose and on a good weekend I'll burn off several hundred rds. I spent 25 very safe years handloading my own ammo " before " the internet was common place in my house. I build my own rifles, many years before the internet experts had a chance to tell me how. I used a few myths, I still do, I probably always will.

Spend a whole $20 on loading manuals.......I wish. I have a library that I am sure I have hundreds invested in it.

I have four presses, not just one cheap one. Apparently I alot more invested in this than some.

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2009, 09:35:39 AM »
 ;) LaOtto 222, anytime you feel the need to "ramble on" please feel free to do so !  I , for one , will always be glad to read it. THANKS FOR YOUR POST !    :)   Jim
Jim