Author Topic: Reloading myths, facts, and BS  (Read 3479 times)

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Reloading myths, facts, and BS
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2009, 10:08:41 AM »
Travis,

No, never shot rifle with cast bullets, though I'm thinking about it.  I have a 3030 contender that needs dusting off, and I'd like to try my hand.

I shoot pistols and revolvers about 95% of the time now.  GB was a big help when I was getting started, as was Veral.  I use a 1911 and a super sweet, amazing, and downright cool SW 627 w a comp, shooting cast 158 SWC and about 3.6 of 231.  Have to use Federal primers though (really light DA pull).

It costs me about 4 pennys per shot, or $10 for 250 rounds.  I stink, and I love it.  Heck, one of the guys at the range has all his plates laying down before my eyes even adjust to the sights :o  The good thing is, I don't care.  This is different from my other passtimes.

Way cheaper than golf, which like BR, I was getting just good enough to get upset if I wasn't shooting at least my handicap.  Well, I figure, why spend $60 for a round of golf, or $60 on 200 BR rounds, just to be POed 50% of the time.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »
  If you are a varmint hunter, though, you'll need some snake oil to hit those dogs at 150+.

Takes thick skin to play ball with gun nuts LOL.

I am a serious pd shooter and I do what works ....myth or no myth. I have a whole collection of very accurate rifles built exclusively for that purpose and on a good weekend I'll burn off several hundred rds. I spent 25 very safe years handloading my own ammo " before " the internet was common place in my house. I build my own rifles, many years before the internet experts had a chance to tell me how. I used a few myths, I still do, I probably always will.

Spend a whole $20 on loading manuals.......I wish. I have a library that I am sure I have hundreds invested in it.

I have four presses, not just one cheap one. Apparently I alot more invested in this than some.

I pointed out to a guy at the range the other day that he had more money invested in scopes than I have invested in cars!
The first step towards liberty is an act of defiance!

Offline Barstooler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2009, 08:47:30 AM »
tumbling live ammo is dangerous - no one can prove this. The millions of rounds of military ammo used in air support, ground support and hauled over any kind of terrain for months at a time should despel any hint of a problem. Consider the ammo stored in a fighter jet wing..........

You can tumble live ammo all you want, but your "examples" prove little.  Military ammo is always packaged and transported to keep the rounds seperated (belts of ammo in cans, clips of ammo in cans etc) so that they do not run the risk of bullet tip striking primer.  Once issued you may have a point, but most folks carry the ammo stored in clips rather than rattling around in their pockets.  Ammo is not stored in the wings of jet fighters.  WW II fighters had machine guns in the wings -- usually with belt fed ammo.  All modern jet fighter have their cannons mounted in the fuselage and the ammo stored in the fuselage -- usually in specialized feeding drums.  Do you think it just lays around in the fighter wing and then magically gets fed into the cannon??

Barstooler
Beverage of Choice -  Jeremiah Weed
Weapon of Choice  -  30 Mike Mike Gatlin Gun

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2009, 10:44:39 AM »
Do you think it just lays around in the fighter wing and then magically gets fed into the cannon??

Barstooler

LMFAO!  :D

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »
tumbling live ammo is dangerous - no one can prove this. The millions of rounds of military ammo used in air support, ground support and hauled over any kind of terrain for months at a time should despel any hint of a problem. Consider the ammo stored in a fighter jet wing..........

You can tumble live ammo all you want, but your "examples" prove little.  Military ammo is always packaged and transported to keep the rounds seperated (belts of ammo in cans, clips of ammo in cans etc) so that they do not run the risk of bullet tip striking primer.  Once issued you may have a point, but most folks carry the ammo stored in clips rather than rattling around in their pockets.  Ammo is not stored in the wings of jet fighters.  WW II fighters had machine guns in the wings -- usually with belt fed ammo.  All modern jet fighter have their cannons mounted in the fuselage and the ammo stored in the fuselage -- usually in specialized feeding drums.  Do you think it just lays around in the fighter wing and then magically gets fed into the cannon??

Barstooler

And we all know there no vibration in the fuelage of any aircraft.

In a vibratory tumbler the speed of which each round moves inside while its running its so slow its not likely that corncob media or anything else will hit a primer hard enough to set on off. The sky is not falling........The concerns I have heard in the past were related to powder breakdown due to vibration.

Offline Barstooler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2009, 03:37:58 PM »

Barstooler

And we all know there no vibration in the fuelage of any aircraft.
In a vibratory tumbler the speed of which each round moves inside while its running its so slow its not likely that corncob media or anything else will hit a primer hard enough to set on off. The sky is not falling........The concerns I have heard in the past were related to powder breakdown due to vibration.

Actually there is very little vibration in the fuselage of a fighter aircraft...having flown them for over 20 years.  Vibration is minimized through engineering because constant vibration leads to cracks and metal fatigue.    Much less vibration than occurs in a tumbler for instance.  The Services also typically do not leave ammo loaded in any aircraft very long.  For training missions, typically just enough is loaded to meet the range training requirements for a day -- usually several hundred rounds over a maximum of 3 sorties lasting 1.4 to 1.8 hours each.  In combat, the ammo is expected to be shot out on a single sortie. If it is is not shot out, the aircraft is topped off.  Ammo that is not expended is recycled back into inventory after external inspect.

Do what you want to do.  No qualms about it, I was only pointing out a clear misstatement of "fact" that jet aircraft do not carry ammo "in the wings."

Barstooler

A-10 Pilot and damn proud of it!!

Beverage of Choice -  Jeremiah Weed
Weapon of Choice  -  30 Mike Mike Gatlin Gun

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2009, 04:07:53 AM »
  I'd say the BIGGEST MYTH OF ALL, is that THIS thread is about MYTHS.   :D

DM

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2009, 07:56:14 AM »
Okay guys, let's move on before the mod gets his shorts in a twist again.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2009, 01:25:58 PM »
Too Late , Some People Just Can't Quit While Their Behind !!

Stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped