Author Topic: Screw guns.....  (Read 378 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Screw guns.....
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »

NO! not the type used to fasten drywall to a house!  ::)

Most of us have seen bits of Kipling's poem "Screw guns" at the bottom of the Seacoast Artillery posts

So I am wondering if this is something that has intrigued M&T enough to consider building one?

These mountain guns used in the far reaches of the British empire are interesting and were built in

both muzzle loading and breech loading form, If M&T did build one which would it be?

Here are a couple of links to their history and poem. the third link is for reference a British

breech loading screw gun click on photo to enlarge, while interesting they seem the ugly duckling of artillery with it's

short stubby carriage and Long barrel.

http://riv.co.nz/rnza/hist/gun/rifled10.htm

http://riv.co.nz/rnza/hist/poemsg.htm

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/cPath/29_170/products_id/2082

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Screw guns.....
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:11:44 PM »
     Allen,   A few weeks ago I mentioned that Mike and I are both fascinated by the 1879 Mk I and Mark II versions of this cannon of the British Empire.  These versions are muzzle loading and were in use in Afganistan and many other places around the world with both British and Colonial artillerymen.  The main challenge to the prospective maker of this form of mountain gun is the registration of the two separate rifled halves of the tube, 201 Lbs Breech and 199 Lbs muzzle end.  Some very precise and accurate machining is necessary in the area of the mating surfaces so that, upon the assembly of the two halves, the rifling much reach full registration or perfect alignment when the bearing faces on both halves are completely engaged and all assembly rotation has been halted.  Perpendicularity of these faces with the axis of the threaded sections is crucial here so as to bring 80% or more of the mating faces into contact.

In some ways making a breech block would be simpler, but there are quite a few problems to overcome there as well as I'm sure you already know.  Maybe we will tackle this project someday, Allen, but certainly not until we retire in about 2 to 3 years.  Below is an interesting photo of an Indian artillery section assembling one in the field.  All in all a truly intriguing piece!

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling