Author Topic: Peep sights  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Peep sights
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:34:26 PM »
I went to my son's scout camp last weekend and we entered a shooting contest with him.  The .22 we used for the rifle portion had a peep sight.  I had never used one before and I LOVED it. 

Does anyone use them for deer rifles?  If so, how do you like them compared to other sights/optics?
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline JW/OK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Peep sights
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »
I used peep sights for years on a 54 caliber Hawkens with good results. In the last few years have found that peep sights seem to be better for aging eyes. Presently use peep sights on a Marlin lever action 44 mag and a Winchester model 94 BB in 375 Winchester. With the peep sight I don't have to focus on the rear sight.

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:04:12 AM »
I have one on my 1894 .44 mag marlin.  It is the XS systems sight and is a larger peep than some but is very fast on target and is accurate enough for the ranges I use it at.  My first use of a peep was on a 1903a3  and I found I was much better with it vs. regular open sights.  Not as good with it as I am a scope but I have come to prefer them on several of my guns.  I have a NECG on a ruger #1 in 45-70 and like it even better than the xs system sight.  I put a 4x scope on it for now to test some loads but plan to go back to it for hunting.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »
My first rifle had a peep it was a model 99 Daisy. Since then I've had lots of rifles with receiver sites.
My 336 Marlin wears a Lyman receiver site and my Mossberg 151 has a factory peep. Like JW/OK says they work very well when your eye site
ain't what it use to be.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 02:52:58 PM »
Love peep sights, 444 marlin, 54 lyman, 45 colt, 357 mag, m1 grand,45-70, 8mm mauser, Can ya tell I love peeps. work well for shooters with bifocals, peep is blury & front sight is clear, peep centers the front sight, I have firesight fronts on a # of rifles & with low light they work great
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 07:56:53 AM »
I've got a lyman on an old milsurp and it works just fine for anything under 100 yards.
Well anything big enough for my old eyes to see anyway. :-[
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 02:43:25 PM »
I have 'em on my Marlin 1895XLR and another on my Flintlock that I use for hunting. Peeps are (I think) as accurate as anything out to 200 yards. (Well....not on the Flinter.....it doesn't reach that far!!!)

Offline JPShelton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 12:41:19 AM »
For almost 15 years, my primary hunting rifle was a 1927 vintage Griffin and Howe on a M-1903 Springfield action.  This rifle was fitted with the Lyman M-48 peep sight.  I never missed the scope it didn't have.

-JP